Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 08:56 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,406,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Calisonn, homerism? Nope, just taste. Dick's Burgers taste better to me than In-n-Out. Sorry, you can't argue with my taste. Unless you are me, and you are not.
I would never take a restaurant suggestion from a person like yourself, but to each their own, taste is subjective but I'm assuming most would take my side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 09:08 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,187,379 times
If anyone has never had a grilled, tasty and tender, sirloin burger in a diner in NYC...or in Chicago, for example...then I guess I can forgive that person. Truth imo, is....there are no good burgers in western WA, they all suck, and Dicks burgers are like chewy, greasy little hockey pucks imo. Amazes me the poor quality of the food in western WA....if one had no choice, a McDonald's plain hamburger, or Red Robins...just my opinion an view.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:17 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,406,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
If anyone has never had a grilled, tasty and tender, sirloin burger in a diner in NYC...or in Chicago, for example...then I guess I can forgive that person. Truth imo, is....there are no good burgers in western WA, they all suck, and Dicks burgers are like chewy, greasy little hockey pucks imo. Amazes me the poor quality of the food in western WA....if one had no choice, a McDonald's plain hamburger, or Red Robins...just my opinion an view.
LOL +1, couldn't have said it better myself

Old 09-24-2015, 09:20 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
This is funny thread too me, If anyone has never had a grilled, tasty and tender, sirloin burger in a diner in NYC...or in Chicago, for example...then I guess I can forgive that person. Truth imo, is....there are no good burgers in western WA, they all suck, and Dicks burgers are like chewy, greasy little hockey pucks imo. Amazes me the poor quality of the food in western WA....if one had no choice, McDonald's plain hamburger, or Red Robins...just my opinion an view.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but how can you possibly be in a position to know that there are "no" good burgers in Western Washington? You've tried them all? Oh, I didn't grow up eating Dick's burgers, and never understood their appeal, but you haven't been to Burger Addict in Renton. It's a grilled, tasty, and tender sirloin burger, with the meat ground on the premises and never frozen. There may be few good burgers in Western Washington, but it's definitely more than none.
And yes, if there were some Greek owned east coast style diners around here, they'd be far superior to most places around here.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:59 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Ira, don't forget the Ghirardelli Chocolate Gelato Shake at the Addict. Damn, I wish we had a inter-city pneumatic tube system like at banks and you could send a burger and shake to me up in Phinney Ridge right now.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:59 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
At the expense of sounding like a late-in-coming-out lesbian, let me say that Dick's is an overrated experience. Honestly, it is just a cheap burger joint that isn't anything special.

Red Mill is better, but Uneeda burger (or as I call it, "crack burger") is the best. Especially the one with white truffle salt. And their disco fries (or as they call it here, "poutine" ) is awesome.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:43 PM

415 posts, read 490,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
...an overrated experience. ...
So much of what prompts breathless enthusiasm and shrieks of praise, "It's AMAZING!..." and ridiculous queues for overpriced underdimensioned mediocre and dilettantish product are what makes living in a big city also an "overrated" experience. The Emperor's New Clothes could well be the Emperor's New Dinner... So many dining establishments are high on gimmick and hype, that with the right amount of time and effort one could do it better on at home. Unfortunately for the exploited and overworked postmodern knowledge workers, time is scarce but not too dear to schlep through traffic across town in order to queue at some overhyped establishment for whatever fad food everybody is talking about.

Standing out in the rain for up to an hour queuing for some sandwich at a snack bar or food truck with no place to sit or enjoy with company? Seriously? How pathetic.

Whenever I hear about how important it is for people to have exciting dining options when deciding to relocate to a faraway place, I think how sad it is that people are willing to trade away friendships and established ties in their family and community for an opportunity to pay money to sit with strangers in some cool chic dining establishment.

Give me a barbecue with good friends or family with frozen preformed burgers from Costco over any fancy local gourmet artisanal burger.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:00 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,187,379 times
I can understand, but when you grow up in a place with its very top of the line food items...from sabret hotdogs, real Italian pizza slices (puts Pagliacci's to shame), knishs, hot pretzels, Puerto Rican meat and rice dishes (Mexican food has never been high on my list), real diners with real sirloin grilled hamburgers and a zillion other great dishes...from the best meatloaf and etc, to Jamaican places with their hot beef patties, Jerk Chicken dishes, to real Chinese food with real brown fried rice (not white with some peas and carrots like in Seattle), to pepper and egg heroes, and rice balls, and sausage and pepper heroes, philly cheese steaks done right, real spaghetti with meatballs and sausages that melt in your mouth from being in a pot of sauce all day, and prepared right, to a shaved turkey or ham deli sandwich, to middle eastern places with tender tasty lamb and basmati rice dishes.....then one moves to Seattle, and gets Dicks Hamburgers, a few decent Indian restaurant's ( I give Seattle that), Panda Express, and Subway......sometimes, just sometimes, food can matter.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:17 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
I can understand, but when you grow up in a place with its very top of the line food items...from sabret hotdogs, real Italian pizza slices (puts Pagliacci's to shame), knishs, hot pretzels, Puerto Rican meat and rice dishes (Mexican food has never been high on my list), real diners with real sirloin grilled hamburgers and a zillion other great dishes...from the best meatloaf and etc, to Jamaican places with their hot beef patties, Jerk Chicken dishes, to real Chinese food with real brown fried rice (not white with some peas and carrots like in Seattle), to pepper and egg heroes, and rice balls, and sausage and pepper heroes, philly cheese steaks done right, real spaghetti with meatballs and sausages that melt in your mouth from being in a pot of sauce all day, and prepared right, to a shaved turkey or ham deli sandwich, to middle eastern places with tender tasty lamb and basmati rice dishes.....then one moves to Seattle, and gets Dicks Hamburgers, a few decent Indian restaurant's ( I give Seattle that), Panda Express, and Subway......sometimes, just sometimes, food can matter.
But how's the seafood where you're from? The salmon, oysters? The Sushi? Thai? Vietnamese? If you think all Seattle has to offer is hamburgers, Indian food, Asian fusion, and Subway , one wonders why you even moved here in the first place.

Note: Many Asian restaurants here do offer brown rice - you just have to ask for it. Your local teriyaki joint, probably not.

Every area has its strong points foodwise - pizza, Mexican food, bagels, mediterranean, etc., aren't necessarily Seattle's.

As to Dick's, a basic "hamburger" costs $1.40. Their top offering, the Deluxe, costs $3.10. No, not gourmet fare, but I doubt any provide a better "value meal".

Old 09-27-2015, 11:41 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,393 times
Dick's doesn't try to be gourmet or anything that it's not. So I don't know why people here are accusing it - or its supporters - of overrating it. I am someone who DOES like Dick's more than In n Out...I just like the way the Dick's Deluxe tastes, the shakes are pretty comparable, and there is no comparison when it comes to fries.

Another U.S. regional chain that I like more than In n Out (waaaaay more): Shake Shack!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area