Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2008, 03:15 PM

4 posts, read 14,747 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be moving to the Seattle area this summer. My husband will be attending UW Seattle for a commissioning program (US Navy) and we'll be "stationed" there for a little over 2 years.

I looked into military housing, which is more affordable, but the commute's a little far, especially when the snow is factored in. We would consider buying (if the price was right) but it seems silly to do that if we're only there for 2 years.

We have 2 kids, so we're looking at something in the 3 bedroom range (which is quite expensive actually IN the city of Seattle) so we're trying to find an affordable, safe, family-friendly town nearby (30 minutes or less commute).

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 03:52 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
What is your price range to buy?

I'd say rent...
And condos are everywhere if you can find one to rent, and houses can rent for $1200 or more

Are the kids school age? Do you care about schools?

Old 01-28-2008, 05:20 PM

305 posts, read 1,609,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4toWA View Post

I looked into military housing, which is more affordable, but the commute's a little far, especially when the snow is factored in.
Snow!? Where's that military housing located? We rarely get snow that'll hamper the commute. I'd say maybe 1 or 2 days per year, if that.

Public Transit is a great option if you're open to commuting that way. I'm assuming your military housing would be located at Ft. Lewis or McChord? If that's true, there's lots of park & rides and transit centers around there. Express busses head up to UW frequently. Also the Sounder commuter train is an easy way to get to Seattle.

For renting and being closer to UW, you may be able to find something in the U district affordable---lots of students live there though. Otherwise, I'd look south to Renton, Kent, Covington, Federal Way (better schools here).

Old 01-28-2008, 05:32 PM

479 posts, read 2,223,265 times
I would look into renting in North Seattle, its pretty safe and nice.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:50 PM

17 posts, read 172,540 times
We got snow today lots of it actually!
Congrats on the move - very exciting!
I would recommend renting in Mountlake Terrace, Brier, Shoreline, Buying for only two years is pretty short as far as return on investment unless you look at some of the new construction in South Everett where buyers are being offered special financing and perks and bonuses from the builders. I have also seen these same builder pay closing costs, etc.
The transit stations in the north Seattle suburbs make it easy for hubby to commute, too, and the prices are more affordable than in city.
Good luck!

Old 01-29-2008, 08:03 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
North Seattle and Shoreline are good options. Transit service to the U District is pretty good from that area, and the UW actively discourages their students from driving to school.

Just avoid the area alongLLake City Way and also Aurora between Greenwood on the west and Meridian on the east and you'll be fine for the two years you'll be around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area