Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 10:58 AM

83 posts, read 94,447 times

Advertisements

Is this due to height restrictions? It seems like having a traditional roof and making that space into a little loft / bonus room / office will add more value since it is useable square footage.

Or do builders like to sell the dream that you will be up on your rooftop entertaining all your guests even though it is a little drizzley for most of the year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 11:17 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,069,132 times
I wouldn't say most have them, but probably close to half. A large part of why they're popular is because of the small lot sizes and the fact that the tall, narrow construction means there's whatever "yard" they might have isn't very private nor does it get much sun. With land prices as high as they are currently the only place to put a large deck or patio is often on the roof. Putting it on the ground level could add $200K+ to the cost of the house due to land costs.

Generally the deck level is bumping up against height limits. I'm not sure what design regulation makes those little quarter or half floors on the upper level required, but it probably has something to do with upper level setbacks.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:57 PM

8,170 posts, read 8,291,410 times
Exactly, height restrictions mean that builders can't build above that level but why not make it usable? Currently, flat roofs are favored to maximize square footage potential, they lend themselves well to roof decks. The climate in Seattle is pretty mild, you can use it more often than you think. I have clients who enjoy them throughout the year, some have wind breaks set up, raised bed gardens, bistro tables, great heat lamps.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:32 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,782,074 times
Yep - this way the builder can use every square inch of the lot without having to make the interior smaller to allow for outdoor living space, and the owner gets more of a deck than some tiny postage stamp smacked onto the side of the building.

And although I realize it's rare, some of us do actually entertain groups of friends on our decks. Mine only holds 6-8, so I'd love one that could accommodate 12 or so... In the late spring/summer/early fall, we almost never eat indoors (ate outside last night for the first time this year and it's still Feb). Just because I don't use it in the winter, doesn't mean outdoor living space isn't a high priority. It just makes it all the more precious on those lovely days when you do use it.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:16 PM

159 posts, read 185,496 times
my concern is the longetivity of it. over time rain, weather will find its way through.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:21 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Why rooftop decks? To better catch the winter rains and cause roofing problems. Gotta keep roofers employed, you know.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:48 PM

83 posts, read 94,447 times
Do flat roofs have more issues than sloped roofs? Do you have to replace a torch down more frequently or something? I assumed they built some sort of slant with drainage.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:55 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,664,586 times
I would love a roof top deck! Our issue is that we have indoor cats that can't ever be let out and it's a struggle just getting in and out of the house. We do have dinner on our patio on occasion, but it's not very enjoyable when a small bunch of felines are meowing and scratching and moaning and getting under your feet every time you have to go back in for a fork or a saucer. Worse, when we're using the screen door the cats practically plaster themselves to it and they end up with as many fleas as if they were let loose. So between May and August (probably April through September now thanks to climate change) I have to use expensive flea treatment on my strictly indoor cats. Depending on the design a second story balcony or a roof top deck would give all of us fresh air and peace. I'm glad it's a growing trend and something I look forward to putting on my wish list the next time I move.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:21 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,069,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why rooftop decks? To better catch the winter rains and cause roofing problems. Gotta keep roofers employed, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayouInSeattle View Post
Do flat roofs have more issues than sloped roofs? Do you have to replace a torch down more frequently or something? I assumed they built some sort of slant with drainage.
There's the rub, you have to remove the deck to replace the roof. But if you look at the overall cost of having a large deck, it's still cheaper to put it on the roof than on the ground.

Flat roofs can have more issues, but with the deck over top the Torch Down roof isn't going to get the same level of wear it would with the sun beating down on it. Torch Down is asphalt sheets 'glued' together with tar. Since it's applied with heat, its greatest enemy is the sun. Hence why it's often coated with aluminized tar.

If the roof isn't sloped properly, settles or sags causing water to puddle on it the lifespan will be reduced. The shifting weight will pull apart the seams letting water in.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:26 PM

8,170 posts, read 8,291,410 times
Sometimes the decks I see on these aren't decks, just a strong roof surface itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area