Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 11:47 PM

6 posts, read 5,389 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband just accepted a job in Seattle at the beginning of November. We are moving from Dallas, Texas. We are hoping to find a neighborhood that is not too far from his job in downtown Seattle. Any advice on a nice neighborhood to look into? We would love to be near museums, a library and a park. I know we might not get everything on our wish list but hoping to get close. Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 06:40 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,886,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner29 View Post
Hi,

My husband just accepted a job in Seattle at the beginning of November. We are moving from Dallas, Texas. We are hoping to find a neighborhood that is not too far from his job in downtown Seattle. Any advice on a nice neighborhood to look into? We would love to be near museums, a library and a park. I know we might not get everything on our wish list but hoping to get close. Thank you for your help!
The first question all will ask is "what is your housing budget?"

Old 09-27-2015, 12:35 PM

731 posts, read 936,606 times
Hi there. Where are you coming from? Seattle isn't big on Museums, but the ones we do have are mostly in neighborhoods that I wouldn't consider toddler friendly (Downtown, Capital Hill, U District). Queen Anne would be the closest family friendly area, but is also one of the most expensive areas of Seattle (think over $1 million for a small house), which is why you were asked what your budget is.

Ballard, Maple Leaf, Green Lake, Ravenna are all nice neighborhoods, but very, very expensive(think $600K for a small, old starter house that may not have a garage, but will certainly have a very tiny yard) .

Also, our finding is that the actual street you live on makes a big difference. We are in a very nice area of Ballard, but our house is just a couple houses away from a moderately busy road with a hill leading to that road. Not good for ball play, tricycles, or even just letting a toddler run on the sidewalk. Also, we didn't have any small children nearby until recently (and now it's just one family). I envy friends that live just a couple blocks away who live on a flat street with other neighborhood kids running around. It's nice that we have a park nearby, but I can't spend my whole life in a park. I work and still need to be able to take care of a house and business.

My husband grew up in the suburbs of Chicago and traveling out there has made me realize what a truly kid friendly neighborhood is (great parks aimed at kids, lots of kid friendly places to go and activities (pools!!!), trails to bike on, and large yards. It's just not like that in the city of Seattle, at least from my perspective (I'm born and raised here and have a 7 year old and a 9 year old).

I wish we lived in Broadview (west of 3rd ave nw) or Shoreline or Edmonds. They aren't close to the things you spoke about, but it would be so nice to live in a more family friendly neighborhood with kids running around and a larger yard. Edmonds has a nice little downtown area and larger lots, but you'll want to read up on the commute.

Good luck!

Old 09-27-2015, 03:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,279,384 times
Look at the part of Ballard south of Market, 15th to about 3rd. Very quiet residential area with flat streets, sidewalks, and many families with toddlers. It's also close to the zoo, parks and schools, and walkable to the library but you would have to cross Market.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:56 PM

1,188 posts, read 959,878 times
People in Seattle hate kids. They'll probably make some remark about how you're a bad person because of the carbon footprint your kid will leave. I am not joking about this.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:52 PM

Thank you all for your responses. Since we dont' know too much about Seattle will be renting our first year. Our max budget per month for rent ideally would not go over $2,400. Of course, we would love to find one much cheaper to save as much as possible so we can buy a home sooner. We don't mind living in a small home. We really just want to be in walkable neighborhood that is not far from things to do.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:56 PM

Default People in Seattle hate kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
People in Seattle hate kids. They'll probably make some remark about how you're a bad person because of the carbon footprint your kid will leave. I am not joking about this.
This made me laugh so hard. I forgot about my carbon footprint when I had my son.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:57 PM

Default Ballard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Look at the part of Ballard south of Market, 15th to about 3rd. Very quiet residential area with flat streets, sidewalks, and many families with toddlers. It's also close to the zoo, parks and schools, and walkable to the library but you would have to cross Market.
Thank you, I will def check out that neighborhood.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
Hi there. Where are you coming from? Seattle isn't big on Museums, but the ones we do have are mostly in neighborhoods that I wouldn't consider toddler friendly (Downtown, Capital Hill, U District). Queen Anne would be the closest family friendly area, but is also one of the most expensive areas of Seattle (think over $1 million for a small house), which is why you were asked what your budget is.

Ballard, Maple Leaf, Green Lake, Ravenna are all nice neighborhoods, but very, very expensive(think $600K for a small, old starter house that may not have a garage, but will certainly have a very tiny yard) .

Also, our finding is that the actual street you live on makes a big difference. We are in a very nice area of Ballard, but our house is just a couple houses away from a moderately busy road with a hill leading to that road. Not good for ball play, tricycles, or even just letting a toddler run on the sidewalk. Also, we didn't have any small children nearby until recently (and now it's just one family). I envy friends that live just a couple blocks away who live on a flat street with other neighborhood kids running around. It's nice that we have a park nearby, but I can't spend my whole life in a park. I work and still need to be able to take care of a house and business.

My husband grew up in the suburbs of Chicago and traveling out there has made me realize what a truly kid friendly neighborhood is (great parks aimed at kids, lots of kid friendly places to go and activities (pools!!!), trails to bike on, and large yards. It's just not like that in the city of Seattle, at least from my perspective (I'm born and raised here and have a 7 year old and a 9 year old).

I wish we lived in Broadview (west of 3rd ave nw) or Shoreline or Edmonds. They aren't close to the things you spoke about, but it would be so nice to live in a more family friendly neighborhood with kids running around and a larger yard. Edmonds has a nice little downtown area and larger lots, but you'll want to read up on the commute.

Good luck!
Thanks for your advice! We are def having a tough time figuring out whether we will live closer to town in a small place that is closer to my husbands job. Or a little further out in a larger home that is more kid friendly. I will definitely look into Ballard and Shoreline. I would love an area that we can take our toddler out for walks and feel safe with parks nearby and maybe a short trip to musuems and other places. I will keep hlls in mind.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:30 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,483,350 times
I would not recommend Ballard simply because so many people are trying to drive around in the neighborhood, and the driving has only gotten more erratic over the years.

Nearby Magnolia has a LOT less car traffic and feels more out-of-the-way. It is hilly, however. If you want a more low-lying area, look on the other side of I-5 to places like Roosevelt and Maple Leaf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area