Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 06:46 PM

5 posts, read 5,222 times

Advertisements

I can't really say anything about Denver, but my husband and I recently moved from Michigan to Seattle and we love it. It's quite an adjustment, because we moved from a small area, but so far the weather has been really lovely. A lot of locals have told us that the summer was really unusual, and the leaves are starting to fall, but it's still warm here.

Where we came from we have freezing temps and several feet of snow for at least 5 months of the year with a month on each side of dreary wet, windy weather.

So far the biggest adjustment has been driving--I'm still scared to drive in the traffic, but eventually I'm going to have to suck it up and get used to it.

I say Seattle is fantastic! We moved here without jobs and my husband is on a 3 month IT contract and I have a full-time office job after only a month of job searching and we found an apartment about two and a half weeks after arriving. Just be sure to have some money saved up--we are paying $1200 for a small one bedroom apartment in North Seattle, so be prepared for your expenses to be somewhat higher than you're used to in Michigan. Good luck no matter where you choose!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 02:38 PM

23 posts, read 26,760 times
Hi there. I've lived in both Denver and Seattle. If you don't like winter/snow - choose Seattle. Below I'll list things I like/dislike about both cities.

Dislikes:
Both have high rate of property crime. Don't leave stuff on a front porch or in your car.
Denver is very hot in the summer. The sun is no joke and things melt if left in the car or window.
Denver altitude is rough. I never acclimated and was always out of breath.
Denver is quite brown in most places.
Seattle is very muggy and humid. It can be quite uncomfortable.
Seattle hiking is rough because it's hard to escape large crowds.
Seattle traffic is much worse and the infrastructure for roads and transit seems to be lacking.
Most places in Seattle don't have air conditioning.
Seattle is very populated. It's hard to escape construction cranes and massive apartment complexes.
Seattle doesn't have interesting architecture and Denver doesn't really either.
Denver is far from the ocean.

Both places have beautiful hikes.
Denver hikers in my experience were more courteous to others on the trail.
Denver roads are more spread out and thus a bit easier to navigate and less traffic.
Denver has snow and a "true" winter.
I personally enjoyed beer selection way better in Denver.
Denver people are far more friendly.
Seattle has way more green scenery and gorgeous fog that rolls in.
Seattle has better fall colors and volcanoes!
Seattle has a rain forest nearby and the ocean.
In Seattle you are very close to a number of places for short trips. Denver is far from everything.
Both places have good food options in my opinion.
Seattle has a nice landscape with lots of hills/mountains etc. Not any flat parts. Lots of lakes too.
Both places have a healthy mindset and culture.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:23 PM

236 posts, read 288,439 times
Biggest differences:

1. Denver has a lot more sunshine in the Winter.
2. As a whole, people in Seattle are a lot more liberal and less into organized religion than in Denver.
3. Hiking is different. In Colorado it seemed like it was all about climbing as many 14,000 feet mountains so there were hardly any trees - more barren but incredible views. In Seattle, I'm hiking in forests with beautiful evergreens and sometimes views of the Sound.
4. Seattle has beaches/Puget Sound/ Lake Washington for kayaking and strolling along.
5. Skiing/snowboarding is better in Colorado.

I think you'd be lucky to live in either one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area