Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 07:02 PM

9 posts, read 7,632 times

Advertisements

Im sure you all see this alot. I am moving by next year and would love the advice from both ppl who have lived in either or Both cities. maybe even visited both. i love nature, i wanna get more into the outdoors, snowboarding, surfing longboarding, hiking, etc. i wanna do it all. i want scenic, green views when i drive. cool food and site to see. i will add that i have visited seattle this summer and loved it. Though i feel as though i didnt really get to see all it had to offer. Going to Denver this november, and i imagine the same will happen then too. I may add that portland was also an option but not really now. i will more than likely be living by myself so rent and money play a factor. i know denver is cheaper most places does seattle have places where One can live comfy? i do love how seattle is close to both portland and vancouver BC in canada. Id love to travel there. i dont really mind the rain, id like to not be around as much snow. And have always said that i wanted to be in a area where its never too hot or cold year round.& also if not those two what are cities very near them that are just as great? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 10:57 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,515 times
Why I would choose Seattle

Average days above 90 - Denver (28) Seattle (2)
Average days below freezing - Denver (157) Seattle (23)
Average days with flat, brown, windy, boring terrain - Denver (365) Seattle (0)

Old 10-02-2015, 12:17 AM

12 posts, read 15,891 times
I was looking at the two cities as well but I'm leaning towards Denver due to less gloomy days, better traffic and lower cost of living. Plus there's a lot of cool towns to visit nearby.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:25 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoddles View Post
Im sure you all see this alot. I am moving by next year and would love the advice from both ppl who have lived in either or Both cities. maybe even visited both. i love nature, i wanna get more into the outdoors, snowboarding, surfing longboarding, hiking, etc. i wanna do it all. i want scenic, green views when i drive. cool food and site to see. i will add that i have visited seattle this summer and loved it. Though i feel as though i didnt really get to see all it had to offer. Going to Denver this november, and i imagine the same will happen then too. I may add that portland was also an option but not really now. i will more than likely be living by myself so rent and money play a factor. i know denver is cheaper most places does seattle have places where One can live comfy? i do love how seattle is close to both portland and vancouver BC in canada. Id love to travel there. i dont really mind the rain, id like to not be around as much snow. And have always said that i wanted to be in a area where its never too hot or cold year round.& also if not those two what are cities very near them that are just as great? thanks
You're not surfing in either city.

Denver doesn't have green views when you drive. Chances are, you're not seeing out of the freeway, and/or are only seeing residential/commercial/industrial areas. Denver freeways' "nature" consists of flat land with dried out weeds, and maybe a distant view of dusty hills, or the local gray/brown (depends on season).

Denver is close to Colorado Springs and Cheyenne. Not exactly Portland and Vancouver...

If you don't mind the rain, and not much snow, then why in the heck are you even considering Denver? (you basically describe Seattle here). In Denver, it rains only during summer, and only for 20-30 minutes at a time, and it snows all the freaking time. We WILL have snow before this month ends, and we can easily have 50 degree swings in the matter of a day (high of 57, low of 3, not unheard of). We get upper 90's and -10's every year (if that's not the definition of too hot and too cold, I don't know what is).

Don't get me wrong, Denver has its merits, but for the MILLIONTH time, they are nothing alike.

Edit: They both have legal weed. It mostly ends there.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:51 AM

22 posts, read 26,199 times
I'm biased as my family hails from the PNW (dad: Portland/Cascade Locks, uncle: Seattle born and bred) but for outdoors, varied scenery and limitless activities: Puget Sound. My wife is from Calgary and we seriously considered Denver as the climate is similar to Calgary, the mountains are close, always in your face, etc. But as David said above, it's pretty brown in the areas surrounding Denver. And those temperature spikes he mentions (just like Calgary): killer if you suffer from migraines (which we almost NEVER get in Seattle). No comparison in the two cities...what he said!

Old 10-02-2015, 08:30 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
You're not surfing in either city.

Denver doesn't have green views when you drive. Chances are, you're not seeing out of the freeway, and/or are only seeing residential/commercial/industrial areas. Denver freeways' "nature" consists of flat land with dried out weeds, and maybe a distant view of dusty hills, or the local gray/brown (depends on season).

Denver is close to Colorado Springs and Cheyenne. Not exactly Portland and Vancouver...

If you don't mind the rain, and not much snow, then why in the heck are you even considering Denver? (you basically describe Seattle here). In Denver, it rains only during summer, and only for 20-30 minutes at a time, and it snows all the freaking time. We WILL have snow before this month ends, and we can easily have 50 degree swings in the matter of a day (high of 57, low of 3, not unheard of). We get upper 90's and -10's every year (if that's not the definition of too hot and too cold, I don't know what is).

Don't get me wrong, Denver has its merits, but for the MILLIONTH time, they are nothing alike.

Edit: They both have legal weed. It mostly ends there.
True on all points. It's odd that Denver and Seattle are grouped together, perhaps because they appeal to the same type of person but they are completely different.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:54 AM

927 posts, read 758,657 times
All the posts about nature: With everyone moving in to be next to the nature, all these people are helping to destroy it. You can only go rafting on the Rogue River in Oregon by lottery, and there's still a million people. The animals are all long gone.
Denver has more sun than Seattle. The PNW is famous for its grey clouds all winter. Denver people say thats what they don't like about Seattle. But Denver is now way more expensive than it was because everyone moved in because of legalized marijuana. But now Seattles done the same thing.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:59 AM

927 posts, read 758,657 times
I always got migraines in Seattle. I thought it was because of the atmospheric pressure. I never got them in Arizona even in 100d summer.
My friend was from Denver, windsurfer, moved to Portland. Said both were equally as good. He said the difference was Portland was liberal tree hugger vegetarians in Portland.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:57 PM

9 posts, read 7,632 times
Well you can surf in portland ive heard and that ppl will go down on the weekends from seattle. I know it bascially describes seattle but as ive said its cheaper living in denver ive heard. Ill see when i visit. It does have to be seattle, ive considered vancouer wa or portland as well but never got a chance to visit while in the area. Any places around seattle would be cool too. ill be on my own so prices are important tho i dont want to let them deter me from moving to a certain city. Would i be wise to just fly there when i move and sale my car or drive with a decent amount of my things in the car and just have the rest sent to me after i find a place? i dont have much but a few boxes of clothes and random stuff and my TV.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:09 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
You can't surf in Portland either, sorry.

Anyhow, Denver is a landlord's market right now. There simply aren't very many vacancies right now, which is driving rental prices up. Only marginally cheaper than Seattle tbh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area