Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 05:49 PM

628 posts, read 818,273 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living in Portland, and having a ton of trouble finding and FTE job. I have obtained either part-time or temporary work that pays lower than other permanent jobs I've had on the west coast. My background is Data Analyst, HR and QA in technology. I applied for a few jobs at Intel and Nike (the area's biggest employer, but have not gotten any response). I am at my wits and and thinking about looking in the Seattle Metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 07:18 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
The job scene is similar in both areas...so perhaps you need to decide where you want to live. Portland is very urban-friendly, meaning lots of walking neighborhoods, cafes, coffeeshops, etc. Seattle is more "big-city", with also an urban vibe, but set within a very big business structure. Take your pick.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:27 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
Oregon has an approximately 9-10% state income tax (even more possibly if you reside in Multnomah county, county taxes, etc) and about equal cost of living as Seattle, along with lower wages and smaller number of employers...

Oregon was rated by Forbes as the worst state (next to Hawaii) to run a business.. This will effect those looking for employment as well.. If you find a job in neighboring Vancouver though you have hit gold, just stay on the Washington side to avoid state tax and enjoy lower rental costs than the Oregon side.

Just so you know, I am a native Oregonian (or lived a majority of my life there). I left because of the crappy business environment and horrible tax system and cost of living that is totally inadequate for the wages. People live in Oregon simply because they LOVE OREGON, not because it is a great choice financially.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:45 PM

Hear hear.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:53 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,479,779 times
The tech center is waaaaaaay larger in Seattle than it is in Portland. The unemployment rate in Seattle proper has been hovering around 4% for some time (i.e., full employment). With that having been said, it generally helps to know someone to get a job and housing is quite a bit more expensive up here.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:19 AM

Seattle is pulling away from Portland big-time. The differences are huge, and one only needs to drive north from PDX for 2 and half hours to see it. Yes, higher rents, more traffic, but a bustling city that welcomes development where PDX says "no way".

While PDX tries to control downtown development, Seattle is considering a 100-story skyscraper. While PDX has a huge homeless population, Seattle is building several hundred low-income apartments that blend in with tens of thousand market rental units.

The downtown core in Seattle, and South Lake Union is increasing tremendously and adding residential at a pace that is unheard of in most cities.

I understand this sounds like boosterism, but it is the reality. I am not a huge fan of Seattle, though I am native, but I can certainly offer that this city has one of the fastest growing inner cores in the U.S. Will it last? I don't know, but I do know it is on fire right now.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:14 PM

BTW, while I said I am not a huge fan of Seattle, though I am native...

needs some explanation. I was born and raised in Seattle, and spent the first 30 years of my life there. I am not a fan of what the city has become, an urbanized singles city. While I like the development that has, and is occuring there, I don't like the fact that it has become a family unfriendly place. I'm sure San Francisco went through similar phases, but I just don't like the fact that families are being fended off to the suburbs. If Seattle's leaders could do what is right, they would offer an environment that would INCREASE, not DECREASE families in the city.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:18 PM

628 posts, read 818,273 times
I don't think growing cities and leadership want families in the city. They want developers that command high rents and urban professionals that are willing to pay it. In NYC, rentals are taking in 65% of the employees paycheck, and many make beyond 6 figures. It's almost as if the big corporations are writing a direct check to the property owners. Families typically own single family housing units in the suburbs.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:53 PM

Yes. +1 for you.

Seattle central in five years will resemble Chicago, or Hong Kong, (a stretch)...but you get my point. The continued construction will make this city so dense that nobody will be able to move around, because the transit is not anywhere near able to handle it. This is a perfect example of a city out of control with development, and no answer to how people will get around. What a potential disaster. Though that being said, I am pro-development for Seattle, and I guess my major point is Seattle needs to fix the transportation. This is unlikely.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:08 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
BTW, while I said I am not a huge fan of Seattle, though I am native...

needs some explanation. I was born and raised in Seattle, and spent the first 30 years of my life there. I am not a fan of what the city has become, an urbanized singles city. While I like the development that has, and is occuring there, I don't like the fact that it has become a family unfriendly place. I'm sure San Francisco went through similar phases, but I just don't like the fact that families are being fended off to the suburbs. If Seattle's leaders could do what is right, they would offer an environment that would INCREASE, not DECREASE families in the city.
Maybe you're not looking in the right areas. The number of babies born in the Ballard area is higher than a lot of the "family friendly" suburbs priced at a similar level. My experience has been that the people having kids here either already own houses or are planning to buy in the same area. It's definitely going to vary by neighborhood. Cross over into Fremont and it's not as kid friendly, but businesses in Ballard cater to people with kids. The breweries for example, all of them are kid friendly and if you go there on a Saturday afternoon they're full of children. Around 6pm they tend to switch over but it's not unusual to see 20-30 young children running around in the afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area