Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2015, 03:04 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
Sure; Denver, Chicago, Sacramento, Miami, Charlotte, Atlanta, Minneapolis, and Salt Lake City. Depending on what's important to you; DFW, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Orlando, and Tampa.

^^^ If you have a degree, you'll probably be able to find a good job in all of the aforementioned cities and your dollar would go much further.

I'm not saying that Seattle completely sucks, but it definitely doesn't offer enough to be one of the most expensive cities in the U.S., there are just too many negatives (high rent, high food cost, high taxes, filthy smelly downtown, extremely rude people) and not enough positives (good Thai and Japanese food). Seattle's COL is just a smidgen below SF's, Chicago's, and Los Angeles's... Really???

In regards to it's food scene. If it weren't for the excellent Japanese and Thai food restaurants I would say that it would be lacking in that department as well.

I have to object to that one, it's a lot more than a smidgen:

SF Median Home=$1 million
SF Median Rent, 1 Bedroom=$4,225

Seattle Median Home=$513,200 (half)
Seattle Median Rent 1 Bedroom=$1,897 (less than half)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 03:17 PM

288 posts, read 344,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have to object to that one, it's a lot more than a smidgen:

SF Median Home=$1 million
SF Median Rent, 1 Bedroom=$4,225

Seattle Median Home=$513,200 (half)
Seattle Median Rent 1 Bedroom=$1,897 (less than half)
Not quite.

SF's median home value.

Seattle's median home value.

My point is, Seattle is way overpriced, as is San Fransisco. But at least San Francisco has much more to offer, Seattle really has no good reason for being so expensive.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:09 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,255,451 times
Quote:
Given that there is no income tax here, I would have to agree that Washington's income tax is among the lowest in the nation.... But Washington more than makes up for it with it's high sales and property taxes.
It only does for the wealthy. The sale and property taxes are higher for the big consumers and large real estate owners. For the less wealthy, who make up the majority of the population, the zero income tax more than makes up for the sale and property taxes.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
It only does for the wealthy. The sale and property taxes are higher for the big consumers and large real estate owners. For the less wealthy, who make up the majority of the population, the zero income tax more than makes up for the sale and property taxes.
https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...taxpayer/2416/

^^^ Washington is one of the worst states for tax payers.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:21 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Not quite.

SF's median home value.

Seattle's median home value.

My point is, Seattle is way overpriced, as is San Fransisco. But at least San Francisco has much more to offer, Seattle really has no good reason for being so expensive.
Your comment is a matter of opinion, which you are welcome too, of course, but your Zillow data is metro area, mine is for the two cities only.

San Francisco CA Home Prices & Home Values | Zillow

Seattle WA Home Prices & Home Values | Zillow

Old 10-10-2015, 06:25 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Quote:
Sure; Denver, Chicago, Sacramento, Miami, Charlotte, Atlanta, Minneapolis, and Salt Lake City. Depending on what's important to you; DFW, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Orlando, and Tampa.

^^^ If you have a degree, you'll probably be able to find a good job in all of the aforementioned cities and your dollar would go much further.

I'm not saying that Seattle completely sucks, but it definitely doesn't offer enough to be one of the most expensive cities in the U.S., there are just too many negatives (high rent, high food cost, high taxes, filthy smelly downtown, extremely rude people) and not enough positives (good Thai and Japanese food). Seattle's COL is just a smidgen below SF's, Chicago's, and Los Angeles's... Really???

In regards to it's food scene. If it weren't for the excellent Japanese and Thai food restaurants I would say that it would be lacking in that department as well.
Filthy, smelly downtown? Huh? Are we living in different universes?

Seattle more expensive than Chicago and Miami? Huh? Copy the above.

However, I will give you credit for atleast visiting the city. Yes, indeed, it is not for everyone. But you do seem to be making some snap decisions which may or may not be accurate. I wish you well on finding your utopia.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Your comment is a matter of opinion, which you are welcome too, of course, but your Zillow data is metro area, mine is for the two cities only.

San Francisco CA Home Prices & Home Values | Zillow

Seattle WA Home Prices & Home Values | Zillow
It's wise to take the entire metro into account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Filthy, smelly downtown? Huh? Are we living in different universes?

Seattle more expensive than Chicago and Miami? Huh? Copy the above.

However, I will give you credit for atleast visiting the city. Yes, indeed, it is not for everyone. But you do seem to be making some snap decisions which may or may not be accurate. I wish you well on finding your utopia.
I never said that Seattle was more expensive than Chicago.

I've been here a few weeks, I'm not making a snap decision. The more I explore, the less I like. Seattle seems to be a city of all show and no go. Very superficial without any real substance.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:36 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Quote:

Oh but you did. And it is right here.

Old 10-10-2015, 10:38 PM

590 posts, read 714,099 times
I dislike the entire upper half of the western side of the state. Frankly, because the weather sucks and its crowded and people seem generally unhappy and rude to me. The bottom half of the western state is less populated but the weather still sucks. Thats my $.02....

Old 10-10-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Oh but you did. And it is right here.
... Ummm are you OK? Re-read the very post you quoted.... I never said that Seattle was more expensive than Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area