Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2015, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 7,755 times

Advertisements

When I see the rating of Interlake High School in Greatschools, it is only 6 out of 10. This by itself is a mediocre score, and it seems the school is average. But elsewhere (other websites/ranking lists) I heard good things about this school. Why this discrepancy? Is Interlake High really good or is it more hype?

I am coming from a different state, and in that state there are many schools with greatschools rating of 10/10. I am thinking of admitting my daughter to Interlake, but she has never studied in a school with such low ratings. Will she get a good education here? She is academically strong. She will be joining 9th grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 10:28 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,480,244 times
The answer to the question largely has to do with perspective.

If you picked up the school and dropped it in Burien or Federal Way and changed nothing else, it would be an 8/10 or 9/10 easily. Bellevue schools are almost uniformly wealthy; Interlake is one of the few places with a larger immigrant class who would be considered "middle class" in just about any other community but are "lower middle class" or "poor" in context of other schools in Bellevue.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:50 PM

8,069 posts, read 8,361,243 times
Greatschools ratings are entirely based on test scores. Test scores are heavily correlated with family income.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:13 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,333,985 times
Take a look at the percentage of students receiving free or reduced price lunch, and the percentage of students in transitional bilingual programs. Between the two, it's pretty high at Interlake.
So does that mean that your academically inclined daughter won't have opportunities to thrive there? No, it doesn't mean that at all. As CrazyDonkey states, the greatschools rating is entirely based on test scores, based on the percentage of students passing. If you remove the students receiving free lunches, and remove the kids in a transitional bilingual program, how would the rest of the students compare to those at Newport or Bellevue? My guess is about the same or just slightly under, not nearly as dramatic a difference as suggested by the greatschools rating.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:31 AM

48 posts, read 57,702 times
Interlake is home to BSD's only high school gifted program and draws kids from all over Bellevue and from the region. It also has an IB and AP program. The program has amazing internship opportunities and I believe students are able to take UW classes while in high school (used to be only Bellevue College). For a comparison of how these kids compare to Newport and Bellevue High Schools, Interlake had the most national merit scholar semifinalists this year, surpassing even the prestigious Lakeside school in Seattle.
National Merit Scholarship program announces semifinalists | The Seattle Times

Some school reviews I've read online suggest that there is a rift between the gifted program and other students. Also, it might be worth investigating how many college credits your child can obtain while at school (if that interests your daughter) and what extracurrular activities are available.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:18 PM

8,069 posts, read 8,361,243 times
Also, a "6" is not a "low" rating. It is an "above average" rating. "Low" would be a "1 to 3" rating, it seems to me.

According to U.S. News, which looks at more than test scores, Interlake is the #6 high school in the state. Bellevue is #3 and Newport #4. Roosevelt, which has a "9" Greatschools rating, is #8.

Search Washington High Schools | US News

Old 10-07-2015, 07:04 PM

305 posts, read 654,987 times
My daughter went to Interlake and got a great education. As has been mentioned it offers AP courses as well as an IB programm and running start (taking college classes)). The school offers some interesting classes such as photography or horticulture. The reason it has such "low" ratings is because of the number of poor students and/or ESL learners. But make no mistake, it's still Bellevue, meaning most students are not exactly economically disadvantaged. I actually think it's a truly diverse school,not as in code for poor or black, but as in students from all backgrounds. We went out of our way and registered our daughter through open enrollment in 10th grade for her to be able to attend as it wasn't our neighborhood school.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 7,755 times
Thanks to all for your responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area