Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2015, 10:09 PM

286 posts, read 639,965 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are visiting Seattle next week and are coming in totally blind as to traffic conditions, modes of transportation available and best places to stay in the area.

We're going to do the tourist thing so first, best places to stay. Looking for best strategic location for easy access to the city. Some I've spoke to said best to stay in Bellevue and drive to Seattle. Sound reasonable? I'm coming with family.

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 07:10 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Driving to Seattle means a lot of money (and time) for parking, it's definitely not a car-friendly city. If you stay in the Belltown/downtown area you can walk or take a bus to most attractions. Hotels are not cheap, but I would recommend either the Inn at the Market, right at Pike Place Market, or the Edgewater on the waterfront at Pier 70. Avoid the temptation to stay at the inexpensive motels on Aurora Ave. If you are renting a car anyway, then staying in Bellevue might be the way to go, because there is shopping and entertainment there downtown, and you can just spend the day in Seattle and pay $10-$36 for 4 hours parking. One of the best bargains is the Bell St. Garage on Wall at Alaskan Way, $21 all day, less than a mile walk to the Market, Sculpture Park, and Aquarium. A bit more than a mile to the Space Needle and EMP.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:02 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,460 times
We rented the most adorable cottage in Wallingford for our first visit. Then the bottom of a huge Capitol Hill Victorian the second time around. Way more fun than a hotel, and they were both superbly located. I'd check VRBO.com as well as the hotel sites. In Bellevue I'm only familiar with the hotel atached to the Bellevue Club (Hotel Bellevue?). Lovely accomodations, but not cheap.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:12 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,390 times
What's your budget? We could make better recommendations if we knew the price you were trying to stay under.

I second the VRBO recommendation as well. We've stayed in some really neat ones, and they're generally more value and space for your $$.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:38 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
Unless the hotels in Bellevue are substantially cheaper than those in Seattle, then it makes no sense to stay in Bellevue. Liken it to staying in Newark to tour New York City. If you stay in downtown Seattle or nearby you wouldn't need a car at all. Just take the Link from the airport and then you can walk/bus/ferry around town pretty easily.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:49 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,284 times
Car or no car?

There are a number of hotels in the University District, Lake Union, and Lower Queen Anne neighborhoods that offer free car parking and have local shuttles and/or immediate access to public transportation, for example the Silver Cloud on Lake Union, which has free parking and is a block or so from the streetcar to the CBD.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:14 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Hotels in Lower Queen Anne and Belltown can be a little cheaper than right downtown. Excellent transit connections, including the Monorail. See the Mediterranean Inn, the MarQueen, Inn at Queen Anne, Best Western Executive Suites, Homewood Suites, etc. Most are within a block or two of the Seattle Center, which has LOTS of great attractions for kids - Space Needle, International Fountain, Children's Museum, Pacific Science Center, Experience Music Project/Science Fiction Museum, Chihuly Garden and Glass, the Armory (food, etc.), Artists At Play (artist-created playground). There are also a wide range of affordable eating options close by.

Other attractions within walking distance: Kerry Park Viewpoint, Olympic Sculpture Park/Elliott Bay Park, the north Waterfront, Kinnear Park.

Frequent transit connections to Pike Place Market and other Downtown attractions.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:21 PM

200 posts, read 413,479 times
I also asked this question a few weeks ago, got some advice, and just got home from a great trip.
It was my wife and my 13 yr old daughter and myself, and we stayed at Harbor Steps. 1st and University.
We used vrbo and stay Alfred.com to do research
We stayed in a 2br, 2bath 1100 sq ft apt for less than a hotel downtown. Nice, clean modern place
We were literally on post alley, and 1 block from Pike Market and the water.
We used the link, monorail, and uber to get around. Extremely easy.
Pm me if you need the details on where we stayed, as I'm not sure of the forum rules concerning posting the actual website

Old 10-11-2015, 10:27 PM

286 posts, read 639,965 times
Thank you everyone for your help.. !! Much appreciated..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: