Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 09:40 AM

12 posts, read 17,542 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm moving out to Seattle from NYC and will have a job in Kent, WA, since I'm single I would like to live where there are a significant amount of young singles, capitol hill, fremont, etc. I've heard the reverse commute via car and/or public transport will still be pretty tough. My current commute time in NYC is 30 -40 minutes via subway and I'm ok with that now, is this the realistic time for a reverse commute from Seattle to Kent for a standard 9-5 job. I know my company offers carpool options and some people tend to bike to work as well. Dont' know how that will play a part in the commute, but just wanted to guage everyones feedback on the reverse commute and understand what "tough or Long" actually entails.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 12:18 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
The reverse shouldn't be that bad if you live in Capitol Hill/downtown or south of downtown.

Last edited by Botev1912; 10-10-2015 at 01:45 PM..

Old 10-10-2015, 01:33 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
I don't think the commute would be that horrible, but getting through downtown Seattle at any time of day can be a pain, so if it were me, I would not live in a north seattle neighborhood and commute to Kent. That could be an hour +.
But Columbia City, or Beacon Hill, or the Central District, or even West Seattle would make that commute a lot shorter, and all of those neighborhoods have some very nice parts.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:10 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,901 times
The good news: if you live in South Seattle or south of that, the commute won't be bad.

The bad news: if you live in Cap Hill, or north of there, you will have to deal with downtown traffic and that could add quite a bit more time to your commute.

The good news: you aren't limited to the highways for the most part.

The bad news: Kent is a physically large place and encompasses farmland, industrial areas, a ghetto of sorts, and a (small) downtown area. There are several ways to get there, but traffic tends to be compacted in Hwy 167 so if you are on that highway, a significant amount of time can be spent just waiting for that traffic to clear up.

Google says it takes about 1 hour to get back and forth between Cap Hill and Kent, WA. I believe it. Anytime you commute more than 5 miles or so, budget at least 30-45 minutes for your commute.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:24 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
You are commuting from Seattle to Kent every day at rush hour? Wow, I feel sorry for you.. Bring a good book with you. As of the last few years that commute has become brutal.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:52 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,370,078 times
Just because you started a new thread, doesn't mean you'll get different answers.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:42 PM

Just because you write in the thread doesn't mean anyone will listen..

Old 10-10-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I don't think the commute would be that horrible, but getting through downtown Seattle at any time of day can be a pain, so if it were me, I would not live in a north seattle neighborhood and commute to Kent. That could be an hour +.
But Columbia City, or Beacon Hill, or the Central District, or even West Seattle would make that commute a lot shorter, and all of those neighborhoods have some very nice parts.
For me, what I consider nice is bars and young people to make friends etc. 40 minutes in a car isn't a bad commute, I'm ok with that, secondly I can always just leave my apt at 7 or 7:30 and avoid the majority of the traffic as I'm assuming the traffic won't be heavy til after 8? I've been hearing mixed feedback all around, think I just need to go for it and see if I can do it or not.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:20 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,130,809 times
the traffic is heavy after 6:30

Old 10-11-2015, 01:37 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sihatchyvtec View Post
For me, what I consider nice is bars and young people to make friends etc. 40 minutes in a car isn't a bad commute, I'm ok with that, secondly I can always just leave my apt at 7 or 7:30 and avoid the majority of the traffic as I'm assuming the traffic won't be heavy til after 8? I've been hearing mixed feedback all around, think I just need to go for it and see if I can do it or not.
SO you say.. Have fun.. Remember the advice about the book

Seattle's traffic in the just 3 years I have been here went from kinda crappy to atrocious. I feel sorry for all people who have to make a South Sound commute.. The commute up North is crappy, but not as crappy as down South.. Poor souls.

Here is some advice, do not drive on the I-405, period!!!

Kent is also a very grimey, gritty and ghetto town, probably the most dingy town in the entire Puget Sound. Be warned. I would advise not living or socializing in that town. I was there recently and it just seems to get crappier and more ghetto every time I visit. I hadn't been there for 3 years since my last visit , but had to go to an PC Emergency Care place that was open late at immediate notice and the only place I could go was Kent. I was there for the whole day and was all to happy to leave that wretched town. Even Tacoma is much nicer (in most parts) than all of Kent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area