Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 10:35 AM

127 posts, read 165,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
But they don't. If they were that sociable, they wouldn't be lonely in the first place.
ROTFL - I love these threads. Where the socially inept come to whine and ignore each other

Here 5 months, friends already from work, cycling, neighbors, wine drinking, hiking. And I'm a geek ...

And RotseCherut, I'd be fascinated to see some quantification of you assertion that the Seattle forum has more 'I'm soooo lonely' threads on it than others. Perhaps you could post your results - maybe compare to place like San Francisco, Chicago, Charlotte, Atlanta, Boston, NYC, Portland? Keep it simple - number of such threads in this calendar year, and if you want to get fancy, average number of pages/responses per thread?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 11:05 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP79 View Post
HA! Love this! Mic. Drop.

Guess the weather's starting to get sh*tty again in Seattle, huh? Always happens around this time of year. The temperature drops, the clouds roll in, and people slowly start to realize that any ounce of progress they made with the social scene during the "happy months" is about to disappear... Well let 'er rip, Seattle! Only 9 more months to go.
Actually, it's unseasonably warm in Seattle right now. That temp drop that normally happens after the 1st week in Oct. hasn't happened yet. But the rain did come, which, after such a dry spring and summer, is a blessing. After so much dry weather everywhere in the West, I'm starting to see rain and gloom in a whole new light.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post

Frank, I'm happy for you, but I could never be friends with a wine drinker as I only drink whiskey. I also like running over bike riders with my gas guzzling SUV.
after drinking whiskey I hope ...

Last edited by Count David; 10-13-2015 at 12:20 PM..

Old 10-13-2015, 12:06 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,899,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSpencer View Post
Here 5 months, friends already from work, cycling, neighbors, wine drinking, hiking.
Friends, or mere acquaintances?

Old 10-13-2015, 12:12 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Frank, I'm happy for you, but I could never be friends with a wine drinker as I only drink whiskey. I also like running over bike riders with my gas guzzling SUV.
Quote:
Maybe, if they finally could just be willing to accept human beings as human beings and not judge them based on the causes they support, political affiliations, music genres, number of tattoos , piercings and whether they dress too nicely or grungy. If people can look past all this crap and just stop being a bunch of arrogant, self-serving schm*ks, then, just then, could people finally enjoy happy friendships.
So judgey

Old 10-13-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Cat View Post
Friends, or mere acquaintances?
Can you give me a way to objectively discern the difference?

I go riding with them regularly. Go to bars. Gigs. Hike. Will ski in winter, head out for weekends. Friends on FB. Invited to parties ....

You can judge.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:53 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times
Quote:
Can you give me a way to objectively discern the difference?

I go riding with them regularly. Go to bars. Gigs. Hike. Will ski in winter, head out for weekends. Friends on FB. Invited to parties ....

You can judge.
I have my own definition of a friend.

It's someone who will willingly inconvenience (or harm) him or herself for your benefit. This could involve adjusting their schedule, loaning money, canceling plans if you need their assistance, etc.

That's just my definition -- it's fairly restrictive intentionally so to make it easier to make this distinction.

Old 10-13-2015, 02:29 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
Quote:
after drinking whiskey I hope ...
I've run em over sober too!

Living in Portland for so long, it was hard not to run them over, as many times they would ride right in front of your car on purpose and expect you to hit your brakes for them.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:04 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
If you are wearing a sweater (hoodies allowed) in spring or fall or if you carry an umbrella... instafreeze... you aren't from here. I was born here and have yet to visit the space needle so maybe hang out there to find like minded people?

Also.. the freeze is all about the details. If you are in line at the grocery store, you can easily start up a conversation if you notice any detail (Seahawks jersey, common food items, stupid person in line, clerk is slow) then you are good to go. Don't expect someone to start a conversation with you though. It's not a conscious thing really but all about how we value our privacy. IMHO.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post

Also.. the freeze is all about the details. If you are in line at the grocery store, you can easily start up a conversation if you notice any detail (Seahawks jersey, common food items, stupid person in line, clerk is slow) then you are good to go. Don't expect someone to start a conversation with you though. It's not a conscious thing really but all about how we value our privacy. IMHO.
Weird = someone just started a conversation with me in the line at Safeway on Ranier. How can this be? Am I hallucinating??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area