Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 10:04 PM

1,188 posts, read 959,018 times

Advertisements

I know people who've worked there for years as an outside "IT consultant" and can't manage to get hired as a real employee. I worked as an outsider for a while and quit because it sucked. I've applied for over 10 real positions, some of which were an exact match with my experience based on the job listing, and have never got a single call back. It's amazing how many people I know who supposedly "work at Microsoft" and when I check out their LinkedIn profiles I see that they're not real employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 10:28 PM

278 posts, read 336,034 times
The industry is flooded with "contract positions" these days. So many people are hired as contractors. Companies then avoid having to pay for health benefits, 401k, no PTO, no paid holidays, no sick days. The list goes on and on. It sucks so much.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:35 PM

446 posts, read 709,489 times
If you're an American, forget it. They like to own their employees and with the H1B visa program they do.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:03 PM

449 posts, read 495,380 times
Depends on your race, Microsoft has a preference for white male candidates with substantial qualifications and experience.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:55 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
And they've been laying off regular employees as they restructure.

Microsoft layoffs: 7,800 jobs cut, takes $7.6 billion charge - Fortune

Microsoft lays off 1,000 employees - Business Insider

Old 11-17-2015, 08:32 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,716 times
So why is rent in Redmond keeps on skyrocketing if Microsoft is laying off their employees?

Old 11-18-2015, 07:34 PM

337 posts, read 494,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
It's amazing how many people I know who supposedly "work at Microsoft" and when I check out their LinkedIn profiles I see that they're not real employees.
Is this really an issue? If you're there, you're there. I've spent about 8 years total at Microsoft, all on contract status. One thing I liked about it is that I was outside of the politics and other issues on the inside. I knew quite a few people whom didn't like being full-time employees there, particularly as things change quickly and teams get re-organized. I've known many people whom ended up in re-orgs under different managers and went from doing very well to barely functioning. As a contractor you can somewhat avoid these issues and at the end of the day you can just go on to another contract. I've also been around different parts of the company as a contractor, more so than the average full-time employee.

And I still made excellent money. I'd go back there in a minute as a contractor.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
So why is rent in Redmond keeps on skyrocketing if Microsoft is laying off their employees?
A lot live in North Seattle, riding over on the Connector. Rents look to be moderating there, perhaps because of all the supply being added there, but also possibly because of Microsoft and Boeing either laying off or not hiring as much. Amazon added 10,000 temps to handle the holiday rush, but might have slacked off on permanent hires.

Like it or not, what kept Seattle affordable in the past was the busts that followed the booms.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:30 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,443,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
A lot live in North Seattle, riding over on the Connector. Rents look to be moderating there, perhaps because of all the supply being added there, but also possibly because of Microsoft and Boeing either laying off or not hiring as much. Amazon added 10,000 temps to handle the holiday rush, but might have slacked off on permanent hires.

Like it or not, what kept Seattle affordable in the past was the busts that followed the booms.

So are you saying another bust is on its way?

Old 11-19-2015, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
So are you saying another bust is on its way?
Another bust is always on its way. It is only a matter of when.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area