Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 03:30 PM

957 posts, read 3,350,755 times

Advertisements

I've been researching a move to a few different cities throughout the US. I am done with grad school this May and am free to roam about. With that being said, I have used this forum to get unbiased opinions on cities of interest to me such as Chicago, NYC, San Diego, and even Seattle. I am originally from San Antonio and am tired of this place as it doesn't have much to offer in terms of activities, culture, or beauty-imho. I am also tired of the exhaustingly hot & humid summers. It's pretty gross when you literally start sweating right out of the shower. I do agree with those who have said you shouldn't move to a city based on its weather, but at the same time if it really is gloomy and rainy 9 months out of the year, I don't think Seattle would be for me and maybe SD would be a better choice. I'm a single parent of an 8 yr. old boy, so I think NYC would be too expensive for me and I'm undecided about Chicago.

I have noticed quite a few posters here are originally from SD and they have since moved to Seattle. I have been to SD a few times and think it's an amazingly beautiful city, so I am wondering why you guys have moved up there.

Sorry for rambling, just wanted to give some background info. Thanks for any help you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 04:18 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
If weather's a big factor for you, you may like San Diego best of your options. It's comfortable and mild year round. Other attractive, lively cities in more moderate climates that aren't too expensive would include Albuquerque, Denver, Louisville, and on a smaller scale, maybe Santa Cruz or Fresno.

Whether or not you'd like Seattle weather varies by person. The fact is that it is rainy and cloudy most days. Chicago weather is hot and humid in the summer, with mild springs and falls, and ice cold winters (it usually gets in the negatives). Don't know about New York.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:40 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Hi, Looking. Welcome to the wonderful idea of living in western Washington!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
... activities, culture, beauty.
All of that, in spades, is here in western Washington -- probably every activity on land, water or air; everything from poetry readings and great book stores to the Pacific Northwest Ballet and the Seattle Opera; and beauty -- be still my heart!!!

Quote:
... exhaustingly hot & humid summers...start sweating right out of the shower.
Unless you’re actually very ill, that shower experience should never happen in western Washington! I lived in NYC for 30 years and know exactly what you’re talking about.
In the very large “Seattle” area, we have “summer” generally from July 5th to the end of August. The temp is usually in the high 70s and the 80s, and there will be a few days (spread out) in the 90s. However, the air is pretty dry during those two months with usually no rain or cloudiness at all, so there’s no humidity to speak of those two months.

Quote:
... gloomy and rainy 9 months out of the year.
“Gloomy” is a subjective evaluation. If you’ve read the Washington forum a lot, you’ve found that lots of people love the cloudiness here in the winter, and lots of people hate it, and lots of people like it, and lots of people dislike it. So the only conclusion you can draw is that “gloomy” -- or as I call it “embracing” -- is completely a subjective experience. Western Washington is green -- for a reason: rain brings life. Technically, it CAN rain here from early September through the end of June. It CAN rain for a week at a time, but usually it’s two or three or four days, then no rain for a day or two or three. Much of the “rain” here is mizzle -- more than mist and less than drizzle. :-) That’s what keeps the bushes and trees and grass so green, and the flowers blooming in January. When it’s cloudy but not raining, the clouds are fabulous shapes and colors, and are my “embracing” environment. Rarely do they cover the entire sky -- there’s usually a patch of blue over there, and another down there. For anyone who loves to photograph, or paint, or write poetry or prose, this is a wonderfully inspiring world!

Quote:
... maybe San Diego would be a better choice...it's an amazingly beautiful city.
Well, maybe you’ve made your choice?? But all of western Washington is absolutely breathtakingly beautiful, in ways completely different from San Diego. Don’t forget -- San Diego can be hot, and closer to intense meth activities!

Quote:
... I'm a single parent of an 8 yr. old boy.
There are lots of single parents here, in all socio-economic groups. And there are TONS of activities for a young boy, as I’m sure you know.

Quote:
... NYC would be too expensive for me and I'm undecided about Chicago.
I
agree about NYC being too expensive. But I also think that both New York and Chicago can present too many dangers and superficialities to both your boy and you. In that light, I think WA is a much more wholesome and healthy place than California. And New York and Chicago have terrible weather!

If you're really still searching, you might love this site:
Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!
If you're thoughtful and honest with your answers, it will really help you to pinpoint where in the world you belong :-)

Enjoy your search! It’s fun, isn’t it? If you have more questions, feel free to ask. Go forth in joy!

Old 02-02-2008, 05:01 PM

Thank you so much for your responses. I actually don't mind cloudy days, but this is in moderation of course. I've never been subjected to it at length, so I have no idea how I would handle it. I do have to say though, from some of the pics others have posted, your sunny days look AMAZING! If there were more of them I think I would be sold. I think I'm just too picky-I like variations in weather, like all 4 seasons. I wouldn't like constant sunshine, nor would I like constant rain. However, if the city is great enough, it may make up for it. Who knows....

And no, fun it is not in a way. I love being a free agent in the sense that I can move anywhere my heart desires, but it's stressful because there are too many choices. I almost wish I had a job lined up already so the choice would be made for me.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
If weather's a big factor for you, you may like San Diego best of your options. It's comfortable and mild year round. Other attractive, lively cities in more moderate climates that aren't too expensive would include Albuquerque, Denver, Louisville, and on a smaller scale, maybe Santa Cruz or Fresno.

Whether or not you'd like Seattle weather varies by person. The fact is that it is rainy and cloudy most days. Chicago weather is hot and humid in the summer, with mild springs and falls, and ice cold winters (it usually gets in the negatives). Don't know about New York.
I agree as far as SD goes, but I don't know if I could afford it, which explains my NYC hesitation. In my field of work, Accounting, I believe the starting salary is only around $60k. So besides that and my child support, that's about all I have to work with.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
...fun it is not in a way. it's stressful because there are too many choices.
Have you considered that YOU are the one who’s making it not fun, and stressful? In every moment, your life is your own choice to enjoy or be annoyed about. isn’t it? YOUR choice... Imagine if you were Russian, or Afghan, or Sudanese, and had few or no “choices”... How fabulously, magically, magnificently fortunate you are!!! What a great idea you will teach your son about the beautifully unfolding fluidity of life.

Quote:
I almost wish I had a job lined up already so the choice would be made for me.
And let outside forces control you?? Is that what you want to teach your son how to feel about himself, and how to live his life?

Only a handful of jobs in the world are absolutely location-specific, right? So there are dozens of jobs you can love, in hundreds of locations. Which is bigger -- job or place? Choose the big one first, because it will surround you, and your son, and your work, and every other aspect of your life.

Quote:
I love being a free agent in the sense that I can move anywhere my heart desires
YAY!!!! THAT joyous, powerful being is who you really are!! THAT is who you can teach your son to be!! Go forth in joy!

Old 02-02-2008, 05:39 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
If your heart is saying SD (which it kind of seems like from your posts), go for it. San Diego isn't the most expensive part of CA by a longshot. One of the more affordable options that most people don't consider is renting a house; it's a lot cheaper than buying, but offers more space than an apartment or condo. This is fairly popular in CA.

As far as money goes, keep in mind that salaries are usually adjusted for costs of living. In areas with more money, people will be willing to pay more for an accountant. So your income won't be what's average for accountants in San Antonio; it'll be whatever's average in your new city.

I'd also recommend visiting a few cities before you make your decision.

Last edited by radraja; 02-02-2008 at 05:48 PM..

Old 02-02-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
If your heart is saying SD (which it kind of seems like from your posts), go for it. San Diego isn't the most expensive part of CA by a longshot. One of the more affordable options that most people don't consider is renting a house; it's a lot cheaper than buying, but offers more space than an apartment or condo. This is fairly popular in CA.

As far as money goes, keep in mind that salaries are usually adjusted for costs of living. In areas with more money, people will be willing to pay more for an accountant. So your income won't be what's average for accountants in San Antonio; it'll be whatever's average in your new city.

I'd also recommend visiting a few cities before you make your decision.
I've visited NYC 5 times and loved it and SD 3 and loved it. They are unfortunately some of the most expensive cities however, but for good reason I'm sure. I have yet to visit Seattle, but I do plan on changing that. Same for Chicago perhaps.

I look on Monster.com a lot and view postings in some of the cities I mentioned. Unfortunately, while I will make more, it's not enough to compensate for the cost of living increase, especially in NY and CA which have a state tax. However, I know that going in and am willing to cut corners for a few years if it means being in a better city.

My son's grandmother lives in Tacoma and we just got off the phone. She said her first winter up there wasn't so bad. She also said Seattle's only about an hour away, so is the weather between the two cities fairly the same?

Old 02-02-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Have you considered that YOU are the one who’s making it not fun, and stressful? In every moment, your life is your own choice to enjoy or be annoyed about. isn’t it? YOUR choice... Imagine if you were Russian, or Afghan, or Sudanese, and had few or no “choices”... How fabulously, magically, magnificently fortunate you are!!! What a great idea you will teach your son about the beautifully unfolding fluidity of life.

YAY!!!! THAT joyous, powerful being is who you really are!! THAT is who you can teach your son to be!! Go forth in joy!
Of course I am making it more stressful, but that's only because I have to support two people on one income and also be concerned for his safety. Trust me, if it were just me, I would've made my decision a long time ago. I have learned though that these things just tend to work themselves out in the end, so either way I look forward to new beginnings in the future.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:01 PM

The weather of Seattle and Tacoma is basically identical; sometimes Tacoma is one degree warmer than Seattle, but that's a momentary reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area