Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 10:13 PM

26 posts, read 20,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Seattle is a good place for wealthy people of any age who have more money than they know what to do with. If you are a working class Joe, you will be struggling to make ends meet whatever age. It is a city of workaholics, many becoming workaholics just so they can have the honor of living in one of brand new, sterile overpriced studio apartments overlooking a beautiful view of a dumpster.

Growing up in Portland in the 90s, I would say that was a fun place for 20 somethings. Although, I hear even in Portland now, it is getting so expensive to live, the liberal aristocrats are raising taxes so high that no working class person can make it and many of the younger aged, working class and other people who are not either welfare recipients or wealthy cannot make a living in the city. Seattle still has more of a corporate infrastructure to help with the rising costs, but you will be working your behind off to keep up with the costs and keep that paycheck coming in. This makes for a very bland and rigid social environment where most people are too caught up in the ratrace to go out and enjoy life, which is what a social scene is all about.

Seattle of 2015, in my opinion is probably one of the most boring cities to be young and lively in the country. People still are blinded by images of Kurt Cobain, Pearl Jam and all the other legends of a totally different Seattle and think that this city has 24-7 music/ entertainment venues. Seattle is no Vegas or Manhattan by any means..

If you are looking for excitement, one of America's entertaining cities would be up your alley. Seattle is one of those cities where at 11PM on Thursday it is like a ghost town, almost everything is closed. Yes, there is dive bars or affluent cocktail longues to serve those with money to burn. But as far as social venues to have fun at or cultural events the city is sterile. As far as Seattle's pub scene, is a place people go after work to hang out with each other. There is no real scene, as many bars you go to in Seattle you just sit there and everyone looks at his drink and doesn't socialize with anyone else but his after hours workmate. That's fine and dandy, but Portland ACTUALLY had a pub/bar scene where people literally came to the bars to socialize and meet people. I met many people hanging out in bars in Portland. In Seattle, it is completely different. People go to bars/pubs in Seattle to spend the little free time they have with their group of work mates or friends. Nobody goes to hang out at bars as a means of socializing.

Seattle has a deranged communist government in a city deep rooted in Capitalism, you have the worst scenario imaginable. With the rising cost's of living in the city and the demands of the commies to make everyong get equal pay, no matter what their job skills or qualifications means that the cost of living and venues are very expensive, about double or triple what they were in Portland. I am amazed at how the stupidest cultural events or crappy local hipster rock bands will bring about fees of $25 for a show. It's hilarious, but in Portland, I could see top rated bands for $25-30 at ticket. In Seattle. you will be paying three times that. The ORegon Sympathy is a fraction the price of the Seattle Symphony and is much more reputable, even being headed for many years by world famous Yitzhak Pearlman.

Anyway, IMO, Seattle is overrated and boring as a city, but the scenery is the best of any city in North America outside of Vancouver, BC and a notch above Vancouver IMO.
Yeah I've read Several forum posts online, describing much of what you said. That's really the only thing that made me iffy. Once I began to see more and more of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 10:15 PM

26 posts, read 20,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What people say about how reserved Seattle-ites are doesn't apply so much to the university scene. If you get involved in activities on campus, or find a special-interest dorm, you'll make friends easily. And those friendships will likely last well past your university days, so you'll have a ready group of friends to hang out with after you graduate, too.
True as well. I would be living on campus and probably joining as many activity clubs as I can. Never really thought of it in that light

Old 11-27-2015, 11:15 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,334 times
Wildhertv,

As a straight 44 yo male I obviously can't speak from the first hand experience of a 20-ish female, but Seattle does seem to be a great place for young women, regardless of your sexual orientation (I don't care either way). Since Seattle is such a tech-oriented economy there are more men -particularly in their 20s and 30s- than women, so that ratio is in your favor if your hetero. Seattle is one of the most LGBT friendly cities if your orientation is in that direction.

The Seattle-freeze is somewhat real. Seattle-ites are generally nice and courteous, but tend to be introverted, work-oriented, and can be somewhat clique-ish. But as Ruth points out, that's probably less relevant on a university campus.

Lastly, take anything RotseCherut writes with some salt. He's a curmudgeonly right-winger who denigrates anything the slightest bit liberal, so of course he doesn't like Seattle. Overall, I think Seattle is better than the vast majority of cities I've spent time in (virtually everywhere on the West coast, and a few places on the East). It's expensive to live here, but at least there are ample jobs.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:19 AM

283 posts, read 259,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Rotse, guess you haven't been out after midnight lately in the Pike/Pine, Belltown, Ballard, Georgetown or Fremont parts of Seattle, to mention just a few. They are vibrant these days, great music, late night food choices, lots of energy. What you speak of about lack of late night nightlife used to be true to a certain extent, it most certainly isn't now. We've missed you, good to see your positivity and love for Seattle is back. Do you live in Seattle? It doesn't really sound like you know it these days.
I've been out recently, and small places like Park City UT, Burlington VT, and Boulder CO easily put it to shame in terms of an overall fun Saturday-night vibe/energy. It's only "awesome" if you've never been anywhere else, or you're a tech nerd transplant that never had the time to go out in college and this is the only "nightlife" you know. Most of the people here act like they just came from their grandmothers funeral, smiling, saying "hi", or eye contact are no-nos. If you ask them where a good place to go on a Saturday night they'll most likely treat you like you have leprosy. You're better off just going to bed early so you can get a long hike in tomorrow, the mountains are far better company than the people here.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:21 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Zach, Burlington is fantastic, UVM was my university!

Old 11-29-2015, 11:33 AM

283 posts, read 259,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Zach, Burlington is fantastic, UVM was my university!
Yep, Burlington is fun. You can go out on a Friday or Saturday, meet some people, get invited to a house party and get laid. Same in Park City, Boulder, etc.

Seattle? Maybe on a election year in the planets are aligned just right and the chevrons have locked.

Old 11-29-2015, 12:22 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
I'm 49 and married, what do I know ? That being said, Fremont is pretty vibrant, have you spent much time there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area