Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 10:17 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times

Advertisements

metoque, speak for yourself. Already this morning, I've had a lively political conversation with my neighbors at my favorite coffee shop in Phinney Ridge and seen a lot of smiling people on a rousing three mile hike in Carkeek Park. Get out there man, create something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 06:24 PM

328 posts, read 839,171 times
Ugh! It's been done and went for pages and pages and back and forth and sideways It was rancorous and ugly. Some one actually called it "Night of the living thread". Let's keep this one staked and in the ground!

Old 11-30-2015, 02:56 PM

127 posts, read 165,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
^ This is an opinion statement. How does having a sticky for Seattle Freeze implie that it's "undeniably" real? Now what is real is the endless debate about if Seattle Freeze does, in fact, exist.

Just like Sasquatch.

Sasquatch is actually more likely to exist than the Seattle freeze.

The Seattle Freeze - a mythical phenomenon that socially inept Seattle dwellers cling to in order to excuse their failing. Mostly believed in by geeks, people who play video games, and trolls who revel in perpetuating its existence.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:58 PM

Brilliant, Frank. Well played, sir!

Old 11-30-2015, 06:40 PM

415 posts, read 490,659 times
OK so make it something positive.
Call it the "Connecting Socially with Seattle: Getting to Know and Making Friends in Your new home town."

I too am skeptical that the social freeze here is something unique to this city, but a social freeze there is. Whether it's the native born or the recent transplants, many with whom I've spoken complain about how unusually difficult it is to make real connections here. I don't doubt that it's different in other big cities.

So far we've shared plenty of ideas of things to do, places to go, groups to join to meet potential new friends or possible matches for dating. Perhaps there are some approaches or communications styles that are necessary to land here. I've tried to become much, much more active in taking the initiative. But by now I've burned out about it and am just enjoying my own company and projects.

Perhaps also I'm just being unrealistic that the genuine deep friendships I've enjoyed in past places where I've lived just don't happen here. Perhaps casual superficial acquaintanceships are what's to be expected around here in this era and anything else is positively unamerican crimp on individualistic freedoms.

But those of you among us who refuse to acknowledge the difficulty so many find and want to whitewash over any negative vibe are guilty of insensitivity and poor hospitality. Sure I understand that many of us are not always interested in any constructive approaches or critical feedback and we sometimes like to whine and wallow in self-pity.
But the blind Pollyanna optimism is just as phony.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:42 PM

415 posts, read 490,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSpencer View Post

The Seattle Freeze - a mythical phenomenon that socially inept Seattle dwellers cling to in order to excuse their failing. Mostly believed in by geeks, people who play video games, and trolls who revel in perpetuating its existence.

The Sasquatch is a perfect mascot for the social freeze.
He might just be a little too socially extroverted and friendly than usual for Seattle though.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:26 PM

Treuphax, well written and mostly true. I still feel the same though, I don't believe there is a need to elevate it to a sticky, however cleverly worded. It would devolve into a highly visible platform of misery. Plenty of a forum exists in normal threads already. That's not Pollyannaish to say that.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 11-30-2015 at 08:04 PM..

Old 12-01-2015, 12:13 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,668,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSpencer View Post

My point isn't that Seattle Freeze is real or not, but rather that the debate (of Seattle Freeze's existence) is real and ongoing, thus it ought to have it's own sticky thread. The rest of us who really don't care can then ignore the Seattle Freeze sticky thread as we do the Seattle climate sticky and the Amazon hiring sticky.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:15 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,668,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Treuphax, well written and mostly true. I still feel the same though, I don't believe there is a need to elevate it to a sticky, however cleverly worded. It would devolve into a highly visible platform of misery. Plenty of a forum exists in normal threads already. That's not Pollyannaish to say that.
But I actually would like for there to be a "platform of misery" regarding Seattle. We have the 8th worst traffic congestion in the country and I'm not too keen on moving up in rank.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:17 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
My point isn't that Seattle Freeze is real or not, but rather that the debate (of Seattle Freeze's existence) is real and ongoing, thus it ought to have it's own sticky thread. The rest of us who really don't care can then ignore the Seattle Freeze sticky thread as we do the Seattle climate sticky and the Amazon hiring sticky.
I totally ignore all "Freeze" threads. Never experienced it at all and lean toward Homesinseattle's view that it's the imagination of some.

Flyingsaucermom - Did you move to Pennsylvania?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: