Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 09:52 PM

811 posts, read 1,146,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSpencer View Post
I'm also a major fan of Ba Bar on 12th. Tough to get in but delicious food
Oh how I love the oxtail phở at Ba Bar... Soooooo decadent & delicious!! It's a really great cocktail spot too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 08:42 AM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
IslandCityGirl, great to hear from you!!! Island Soul in Columbia City also has great oxtail stew: Island Soul | Home

Old 12-03-2015, 12:32 PM

127 posts, read 165,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
Oh how I love the oxtail phở at Ba Bar... Soooooo decadent & delicious!! It's a really great cocktail spot too!

that's what I had last week. Soooooooo good!!

Old 12-03-2015, 01:52 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,014 times
hmm, i think the food here overall is ok. there are a few types of food that have been mostly lacking though. i have mostly been eating on the eastside since this is where i live.

korean - i like kawon in lynnwood and arirang in lynnwood is also ok but these places would be at the bottom in LA or Seoul.

thai - i tried pen thai because everyone around here raves about it. it was terrible. woodinville thai was inedible. i have yet to find decent thai food that isn't too sweet (e.g. pad thai is made with lots of ketchup).

vietnamese - i used to go to la lot and pho bac when i worked downtown. both were ok but nothing to get too excited about. much worse than the typical pho place in westminster, CA.

sushi - shiro's is good but too much of a pain to get into (need to get there and wait outside 45 minutes before they open to get a seat at the bar - table is no good). nishino is pretty good and is my go to place. i'll try shiro's new place sometime but i'm not looking forward to having to park over at pike place market. izumi in kirkland is supposed to be one of the best on the eastside and it was promising (all older japanese folks who work there who don't speak much english) but it was pretty bad. musashi in bellevue is also pretty bad. i love sushi in bellevue....mediocre. i've also tried more in the i-district but they were all mediocre to bad. cheap sushi like sushiland, blue c sushi, etc. are ok since expectations are really low.

seafood - i actually like the alaskan king salmon at elliotts even though it's touristy. ray's boathouse was average. everywhere else (cutter, taylor, etc.) are all the same...basically cheesecake factory quality.

indian - lots of average buffets but nothing extraordinary. i had some hope for shanik in SLU but although they focused more on quality, they skimped way too much on the quantity portion so it was obviously early on that they wouldn't last.

fine dining - cafe juanita was ok. canlis is ok. herbfarm is excellent and is the only restaurant in the area that gets me excited.

steak - daniel's broiler is mediocre. john howie is pretty good. metropolitan grill is good. i think for steakhouses, seattle actually has some decent options downtown.

i'm yelp elite so i do review a lot and i'm always seeking good food but i haven't really found that much of it here. a few pockets here and there but when john howie is about the best i see around here (other than herbfarm)...

Old 12-03-2015, 04:12 PM

RVD, for Indian, go to Bengal Tiger, 65th and Roosevelt. Very good, specialty of Bengali/East Indian. I have been to India and Bangldesh, I know .

Old 12-03-2015, 09:01 PM

RVD, it sounds like you still have a lot of untapped opportunities to find the great food in Seattle! Knowing that you love the Herbfarm, I really recommend that you seek out some chef-driven restaurants (instead of those "big box" places like Cutters, Daniel's Broiler. etc., where no one really knows who's masterminding those menus). Seattle is rich with spots that are one of a kind, driven by master artist-chef-restauranteurs with real vision and outstanding execution. Once you get familiar with those spots, there's just no way that you'll feel ho-hum about Seattle's food scene.

Have you eaten at any of Ethan Stawell's spots? Matthew Dillon? Renee Erickson? I could go on... If you want amazing seafood, eat at one of Renee's restaurants. It's a whole new level and most certainly does make the other spots you mention feel like the Cheesecake Factory. Also for seafood, check out the new Manolin. If you like Herbfarm, definitely start with those chefs' spots.

You're definitely correct to note that sushi on the eastside is 'meh'. It's worth a drive into the city. Aside from Shiro's, I still adore Umi Sake, and Mashiko is delicious. Liberty Bar is more casual and funky, has great sushi, and you'll really love it if you're a gin and/or whiskey fan. I go for the cocktails and then fall for the sushi rolls, every time.

I can vouch for most of the other recommendations that homesinseattle has mentioned on this thread too. Looks like you've got some fun work to do! Enjoy it!

Old 12-03-2015, 09:13 PM

127 posts, read 165,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
RVD, it sounds like you still have a lot of untapped opportunities to find the great food in Seattle! Knowing that you love the Herbfarm, I really recommend that you seek out some chef-driven restaurants (instead of those "big box" places like Cutters, Daniel's Broiler. etc., where no one really knows who's masterminding those menus). Seattle is rich with spots that are one of a kind, driven by master artist-chef-restauranteurs with real vision and outstanding execution. Once you get familiar with those spots, there's just no way that you'll feel ho-hum about Seattle's food scene.

Have you eaten at any of Ethan Stawell's spots? Matthew Dillon? Renee Erickson? I could go on... If you want amazing seafood, eat at one of Renee's restaurants. It's a whole new level and most certainly does make the other spots you mention feel like the Cheesecake Factory. Also for seafood, check out the new Manolin. If you like Herbfarm, definitely start with those chefs' spots.

Seconded - we stumbled on Chippy's in Ballard last week as the Walrus and the Carpenter was mega busy. The food was absolutely delicious - afterwards discovered it was an Ethan Stowell place.

There's also some very fine pasta in this town. Spinasse, Anchovies and Olive, La Spiga are my 3 locals. Trust me, I been to Italy a zillion times, and never eaten in a Cheesecake factory

Old 12-03-2015, 11:33 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,433,014 times
ok, i'll try some of these places.

i wasn't all that impressed with revel and joule but maybe because i'm korean so having weird korean fusion seems odd.

i haven't had any good mexican food around here either. obviously the chains are crap (taco time, taco del mar, etc.) but i've tried some family run restaurants around here and they have all been terrible.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:57 PM

RVD, Carta de Oaxaca in Ballard, just trust me: LA CARTA DE OAXACA. IslandCityGirl, as usual, I just love you. When are you coming to Seattle?

Old 12-04-2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
RVD, Carta de Oaxaca in Ballard, just trust me: LA CARTA DE OAXACA. IslandCityGirl, as usual, I just love you. When are you coming to Seattle?
homesinseattle, the feeling is 100% mutual!! I'll be "home" for Christmas in just a couple of weeks. Hurray! Planning to head immediately to a Manny's, some oysters, and some live music (after hugging my precious nieces for about three hours straight, of course). It's been a few months and I need my fix!

And a LOUD second for Carta de Oaxaca!! Holy mole! It's rare to find a Mexican place that is regionally-specific like this one, let alone this delicious. The carne asada, ceviche, and tamales de mole negro are a few of my faves there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area