Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 01:07 PM

50 posts, read 45,622 times

Advertisements

This thread came at the perfect time. My family and I will be moving to WA in Mid Jan from Eastern NC. We will be taking 90, and I have been researching the passes. Right now I plan to monitor it as we get closer, and if need be takt 84 down to Portland and go up from there. Any ideas suggestions? We will be in a AWD SUV with all season DWS tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 01:28 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
It's extremely rare that Snoqualmie pass isn't safe for an AWD SUV with all season tires.

Old 12-09-2015, 01:37 PM

735 posts, read 871,340 times
They said we're going to be hit with a parade of storms and lower snow levels. It might be advisable to put off the trip or like someone mention take I90.

If you do wind up using chains read what the top speed is and stay below it. Slow and steady is your friend, make small corrections and rehearse in your head what you would do if you start to lose control.

I hope this doesn't scare you away, millions of people have dealt with winter mountain driving and were fine. It's pretty magical up there, just use common sense and look at what WADOT posts.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:12 PM

127 posts, read 165,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJUSMC View Post
This thread came at the perfect time. My family and I will be moving to WA in Mid Jan from Eastern NC. We will be taking 90, and I have been researching the passes. Right now I plan to monitor it as we get closer, and if need be takt 84 down to Portland and go up from there. Any ideas suggestions? We will be in a AWD SUV with all season DWS tires.

The drive through the Gorge to Portland can be horrific in bad weather - as it's flat people go fast and it gets scary if road conditions and/or visibility is poor. . Snoqualmie is usually fine. if it's blizzarding, just drive slow and carefully. AWD will be get your over in all but the most extreme conditions.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:31 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJUSMC View Post
In my mind Snoqualmie Pass is insignificant compared to Lookout Pass between Idaho and Montana. Wow, yeah, I was NOT expecting it... we moved mid-May, driving from Michigan... there were days where it was in the 80's (Twin Cities, N. Dakota) and then the next day we would pick up some flurries (in Wyoming). I was driving a huge van and as we climbed in elevation the weather deteriorated. About a mile radius around the pass it was completely snow and wind whirling around.. lots of semi with their flashers on slowly going up... I mean I knew it was possible to have those conditions up to June, but I just wasn't really counting on it.

I went over the same pass a few years later, in July. It was clear and beautiful, but I still got a bit of a nervous feeling. As opposed to Snoqualmie Pass, Lookout has more exposed mountain roads. I never really get the sense that I've reached the top of anything when we go over Snoqualmie. You'll know what I mean come January.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:49 PM

415 posts, read 490,607 times
In Germany they have plenty of snow, hills, and winding roads.

But snow chains are neither obligatory nor common.
But winter tires (no studs) are universal for the season.

I was really annoyed to discover that snow chains are mandatory on the excellent and well maintained motorways here in the western US. I've experienced them require chains on completely cleared mountain roads causing ridiculous traffic jams. I've also witnessed them shutting down the I-5 at Tejon Pass for a dusting of snow. An abundance of caution?

It's the stupid drivers.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:51 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treuphax View Post
In Germany they have plenty of snow, hills, and winding roads.

But snow chains are neither obligatory nor common.
But winter tires (no studs) are universal for the season.

I was really annoyed to discover that snow chains are mandatory on the excellent and well maintained motorways here in the western US. I've experienced them require chains on completely cleared mountain roads causing ridiculous traffic jams. I've also witnessed them shutting down the I-5 at Tejon Pass for a dusting of snow. An abundance of caution?

It's the stupid drivers.
Yes it is - along with an OVER abundance of caution brought on by a lack of personal responsibility.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:51 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,407,769 times
When WSDOT says "traction tires", what exactly does that mean? Snow tires? My guess is if I frequently go skiing or over the pass it's recommended that I switch out to snow tires in say Nov? And back to all season tires in April?

Old 12-09-2015, 05:08 PM

811 posts, read 1,146,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
When WSDOT says "traction tires", what exactly does that mean? Snow tires? My guess is if I frequently go skiing or over the pass it's recommended that I switch out to snow tires in say Nov? And back to all season tires in April?
Traction tires are: snow tires, "Mud and snow" tires, all-season tires, studded tires. Yes, it's a good idea to switch out for winter if you're spending a lot of time in the mountains. Studs, specifically, are only legal from 11/1-3/31. That's probably a good guideline for when you'd need snow tires, as well, though I've wished I had them on in April a time or two.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:05 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,003 times
Quote:

I use all season tires (DWS) since I don't have the luxury of having enough space to store another set of tires. So far they've been sufficient for all the winter driving I do, and I've driven in some pretty snowy icy conditions, but no all season will perform like a set of snow tires on crappy roads. If I had the storage, I'd buy a second set of rims and have snow tires for ski season and summer tires for the rest of the year. Because in addition to going skiing, I also prefer summer tires over all season for nice weather. All season do ok for both sets of conditions, they're better than running summer tires in the winter and snow tires in the summer, but they're not really optimal for either. However, I don't have a place to store tires, and the DWS do pretty well on packed snow and ice. Our temps are usually warm enough that they stay relatively pliable. The only place I really felt unsure of them was in a couple feet of CO powder - really could have used a more aggressive tread there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area