U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-26-2015, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Moose Jaw, in between the Moose's butt and nose.
5,032 posts, read 7,989,016 times
Reputation: 1880

Advertisements

So, unless I'm wrong and they are paying it, while the process for the 3rd appeal is underway, they think they're above the law. SMH.

No fines, no accountability No nothing. When the 1st judge, ruled in favor of them, with the weak excuse about the Port of SeaTac (I didn't know the Port of SeaTac was it's own city), did the employees have a choice to slow down work and/or stay home?

Alaska Airlines, the main heel in this, should be ashamed of itself. They are sadly, under pressure though, from the other airlines, there, to not pay their employees, the 15 dollars, which is still barely a livable wage, unless you make the nightmarish, at times, drive from some parts of Pierce County.

For what I know, there is no, "the 2nd ruling is on hold, pending the result of the 3rd appeal" language anywhere.

Airport employers seek new hearing on SeaTac minimum wage | The Seattle Times

http://pugetsoundsage.org/downloads/Below_the_Radar.pdf
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2015, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Seattle Area
1,716 posts, read 1,876,258 times
Reputation: 4141
Meh. Next.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 02:34 PM
 
9,638 posts, read 25,914,308 times
Reputation: 5357
I agree. Alaska Airlines is headquartered here. What kind of message are they sending to the community when they're saying" We're willing to fight against our lowest paid local employees so that we can maximize profits to shareholders."
I've got nothing against profit, or the need to please shareholders. But if you're operating in a community(The airport is within the city limits of Sea-Tac. The voters in Sea-Tac voted to raise the minimum wage to fifteen dollars. This is a land of citizen initiatives. Why should all the initiatives passed be stupid Tim Eyman initiatives?
I had mixed feelings about the 15 dollar minimum wage, and thought phasing it in over a few years would have been less potentially harmful. But the voters voted for it. Alaska Air and the Washington Restaurant Association aren't endearing themselves to my heart.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 02:53 PM
 
7,759 posts, read 14,924,162 times
Reputation: 10417
SeaTac the airport is run by the Port of Seattle, not the city of Seatac (and yes, there is a city called Seatac). The whole thing, the bill itself and such was flimsy. The airport and anything on that property was supposed to be excused from the $15/hr because of wording in the bill and because the order to change should have come from a state level. Just another example of things not being done right.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Moose Jaw, in between the Moose's butt and nose.
5,032 posts, read 7,989,016 times
Reputation: 1880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
SeaTac the airport is run by the Port of Seattle, not the city of Seatac (and yes, there is a city called Seatac). The whole thing, the bill itself and such was flimsy. The airport and anything on that property was supposed to be excused from the $15/hr because of wording in the bill and because the order to change should have come from a state level. Just another example of things not being done right.
Even if that's true, what you say, the law is law. They were happy about abiding by it in the first appeal. What makes them think they're above the LAW?
Just an example, the Port Authority of NY/NJ, can't pick and choose which state laws they want to abide by. Meaning the Newark Airport which is owned by the Port Authority can't say, we find this law in NY more favorable so we abide by that instead of NJ law
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Moose Jaw, in between the Moose's butt and nose.
5,032 posts, read 7,989,016 times
Reputation: 1880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
SeaTac the airport is run by the Port of Seattle, not the city of Seatac (and yes, there is a city called Seatac). The whole thing, the bill itself and such was flimsy. The airport and anything on that property was supposed to be excused from the $15/hr because of wording in the bill and because the order to change should have come from a state level. Just another example of things not being done right.
No. The Airport was never meant to be excused when the initiative was originally passed. It would have made no sense to have it only to jobs off the airport in the SeaTac city limits
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 03:35 PM
 
7,759 posts, read 14,924,162 times
Reputation: 10417
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Even if that's true, what you say, the law is law. They were happy about abiding by it in the first appeal. What makes them think they're above the LAW?
Just an example, the Port Authority of NY/NJ, can't pick and choose which state laws they want to abide by. Meaning the Newark Airport which is owned by the Port Authority can't say, we find this law in NY more favorable so we abide by that instead of NJ law
Your PA of NJ/NY is thoroughly irrelevant. This isn't an issue of choosing which choosing state law to follow because... it's not a state law. We all know a city isn't supposed to supersede the state, we've all seen Seattle get swatted down in court more than a couple times. So your argument "the law is the law" is flawed because the process isn't as simplistic as you're making it out to be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 03:47 PM
 
7,759 posts, read 14,924,162 times
Reputation: 10417
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
No. The Airport was never meant to be excused when the initiative was originally passed. It would have made no sense to have it only to jobs off the airport in the SeaTac city limits
What are you talking about? I wasn't talking about the intent of the bill, but the judge did excused them. Which was expected.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 04:22 PM
 
27,876 posts, read 59,480,581 times
Reputation: 22681
Higher minimum wage laws have been passed elsewhere and implemented as far as I know.

In Oakland CA the minimum is $12.55 per hour plus mandatory paid sick leave.

The effect is workers in fast food are leaving the surrounding cities and trying to get hired in Oakland since the difference is significant.

The same thing happened in SF when the city implemented same sex spousal benefits... it was the airlines that fought it tooth and nail

It could very well be back wages will be forthcoming when this is all settled.

It does make things more complicated when wages, benefits, tax rates vary from community to community...

I've only flown Alaska once and felt cheated...

I bought my ticket weeks in advance and when I arrived at the airport I could not board unless I paid a departure fee... I think it was $15 and it had to be cash... no credit card or checks... we were part of a large group and everyone was scrambling to come up the money to board...

Alaska said it was not there problem even though the website said the ticket included all taxes and fees...

Never had that problem with Southwest or any other airline.

Washington is not the most stable when it comes to elections and laws...

Anyone remember how many recounts before we had a governor?

Anyone remember how voters overwhelmingly supported I-747 only to have it overturned by a single judge saying the voters were confused as to what they were voting for?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2015, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Moose Jaw, in between the Moose's butt and nose.
5,032 posts, read 7,989,016 times
Reputation: 1880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
What are you talking about? I wasn't talking about the intent of the bill, but the judge did excused them. Which was expected.
Ugh. Again it would have been point less to have it apply to off airport workers from the start, including when it was approved to be on the ballot. Most of the workers in the City of SeaTac work at the airport
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top