Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 04:40 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,103,892 times

Advertisements

Hi, jr75. No one in this thread had anything to say against Capitol Hill, gay bars, not-gay bars, etc.

However, if you read the OP's posts you will see he specifically, and twice, states that he wants to live in an area where he will meet women:
"I also want to be able to meet women my age, and that is a main decider on where I will live."
"I just want to be able to meet girls and people my age..."

His requests would urge us. therefore, to suggest areas where he's likely to meet women, and away from areas where he's not likely to meet women. Logical, right? Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 08:40 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
I am hetero and met my also hetero husband on Broadway on Cap Hill. To say it's "Gay Hill" is offensive and inaccurate. While yes, there are gay bars there, and gay individuals do congregate there... so do hetero people, and whatever else!

It's definitely a more hip, young, counter culture scene than Freemont which, like I said is either young family... or more like 30 somethings. I am a 30 something, and while I loved my time on Cap Hill as an early 20 something, I would not live there now...

Old 02-05-2008, 08:55 PM

179 posts, read 621,662 times
Offensive to who Jenbar? The heteros? I would prefer that it remain gay hill since this is the last haven for gays in this city which is quickly being swallowed up by development by those who want to make it inoffensive and accurate.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:37 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
I would choose Belltown in dt Seattle over Fremont. You can walk to work or if you have to catch the bus, its free within downtown. Ten times the bars and nightlife. You don't even need a car. Pike Place Market, downtown retail core, movie theaters, grocery stores, bookstores, the waterfront, the ferrys, museums, the sculpture park, Seattle Center, all within walking distance.

I always looked at Capitol Hill as a hetero area. I use to live at Republican and Belmont and loved it. Walked to everything from bars to grocers to coffee houses to downtown Seattle. A couple of cool bars recently opened on 15th. Broadway is changing and looking so much better lately with new condos, apts, and a couple of new restaurants.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:48 AM

A haven for gays? Give me a break, Seattle doesn't need a haven for gays, because Seattle doesn't care that you or anyone else, is gay!

Old 02-06-2008, 06:51 AM

I have to agree with Pwright. Cap Hill is definitely changing and there is a lot to do. It's more "in the middle" of it all than Fremont, for sure. I also agree with his advice about Belltown. I often overlook that area because when I lived in the city, it was not yet the place it is today.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:30 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,230 times
Don't get me wrong, Capitol Hill and Belltown will offer more in the way of nightlife, amenities, proximity to downtown, etc...I lived on the edge of downtown at the bottom of cap hill, and briefly in Fremont, and preferred downtown. Fremont is an eclectic area with its own bar district and shopping scene, but it is not quite as vibrant as neighborhoods closer to downtown. He seemed to be leaning toward Fremont, which is not a bad choice, not at all.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:56 PM

233 posts, read 752,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Hi, jr75. No one in this thread had anything to say against Capitol Hill, gay bars, not-gay bars, etc.

However, if you read the OP's posts you will see he specifically, and twice, states that he wants to live in an area where he will meet women:
"I also want to be able to meet women my age, and that is a main decider on where I will live."
"I just want to be able to meet girls and people my age..."

His requests would urge us. therefore, to suggest areas where he's likely to meet women, and away from areas where he's not likely to meet women. Logical, right? Have a great day!
No, actually it's not. I work at a cafe in the heart of Capitol Hill and almost all of my co-workers are hot single women. I have lived on the hill for over ten years and can tell you there are plenty of available straight women everywhere on the hill, especially as the OP states those his age. Fremont and other more upscale neighborhoods in Seattle seem to be more late twenties early thirties havens IMO and not anywhere more single women oriented than say Capitol Hill. The stereotype of Capitol Hill being mostly gay is just that- a stereotype. Good day.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:44 PM

83 posts, read 280,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoSeattle View Post
How's it going, I'm graduating in May from the University of Arizona and a friend and I are moving up to Seattle with jobs paying around $55,000.
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of industry are you going to be working in?

Good questions, I'm in the same position - coming from Pennsylvania.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:20 PM

3 posts, read 19,288 times
Thanks for all of the info you guys, My sister is in her late twenties and she is the one who told me about Fremont. She also said Capitol Hill is really cool too, and should be my second choice. I feel from what everyone is saying, Capitol Hill might be a better fit for a person my age. I'm a super open minded person, and I could careless if there is a high gay/lesbian population in Capitol Hill. The more diverse the area the better, as long as there are also girls my age. Fremont definately seems to be a really neat place that I'm sure I will visit a lot when I'm there. Now she specifically told me not to live in Belmont/lower queen anne due to the price range and that its not as "fun" whatever that means. If anyone can elaborate to why this might be that would be great. NewHorizonz - Civil Engineering
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: