Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 02:01 AM

337 posts, read 494,669 times

Advertisements

So this is my third installment in "where should Polymorphist live?".

I really, really like SoDo. Yes, that SoDo - the area south of the International District, south of the stadiums but just north of Georgetown. The Industrial District. I've always said that i'd live there if I could find the right place, and according to Wikipedia, there are 2,600 residents living in that area, but honestly i'm not seeing where. There aren't any apartment buildings there, i'm not seeing any noticeable lofts. Where are those people living?

I love industrial areas. I like that it's quiet at night (okay, there's the rail yard), a straight-shot into downtown by bike or even by bus or light rail. I would love to convert an old factory into a living space, keep the concrete floor and industrial feel. Okay, that last part might be reaching a bit, but i'd love to convert some space in an old industrial building if I could find it.

Earlier this evening I was at the 24-hour Subway on 4th Ave near Lander St. The Sandwich Artist there told me that she has a regular customer whom walks to her store from around the corner and that he keeps his residence on the top floor of one of the buildings. I asked her to ask him where so that I can check on living there, too. Who knows if she'll actually find out for me.

So, i'm asking this forum - anyone know where to rent (or buy) in SoDo? Again, i'm not looking right adjacent to the stadiums, i'm looking for the areas just south of the stadiums and down to just north of Georgetown. I really, really want to find someplace there, it's been my goal since I moved here 17 years ago and I really think i'd enjoy it. Odd choice, I know...but it's what I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 09:13 PM

8,069 posts, read 8,361,243 times
The Roy Rodeo Hall is for sale:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/off/5372651126.html

Old 01-06-2016, 09:39 PM

8,170 posts, read 8,292,916 times
Poly, I don't think it's odd at all. I love those parts of town, they have some old school quality left to them. Walking around Georgetown with the trains coming by on a summer night is one of my favorite things in Seattle. One of the things that makes these places charming is that real businesses exist there, places doing things like selling marble, sand, cabinets. They were never conceived as residential areas, though eventually their authenticity will lead to more of that. If I didn't have a family, I'd live in a groovy warehousey building very happily.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:10 AM

983 posts, read 1,054,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post

That's a cool building. And I love the log porch. But it's in *Roy*, not Seattle. Or SoDo. Or were you just tossing that out as an example of a cool building?

Old 01-07-2016, 01:28 PM

415 posts, read 490,477 times
I suspect the real-estate sharks are all jockeying for position and hoarding property for when the inevitable starting gun opens the area for redevelopment. But there don't seem to be really many of the old pre-war multistorey commercial and industrial warehouses worthy of investment for preservation and renovation with potential residential charm like those that have become the coveted lofts in NYC's SoHo (or even Portland's Pearl).

Nevertheless I have heard of people residing in units in the old Rainier Brewery.

I suspect I might live closer to SoDo than anybody else here in this forum... I'm just two blocks up Lander on the ridge looking down on it. Had I known that the freight trains go all night long, I might have thought twice about getting the house. It's really pretty awful. I'm a pretty heavy sleeper but I have to sleep with earplugs all year round. In the summer time when it's hot and I want to open the windows it's intolerable. There are probably about a dozen grade level rail crossings in SoDo. At each crossing each train has to blow its horns 4 times. I don't know exactly how many trains are passing each night, but there is really no break all night long. Woohoo! It's a real loud and horny neighborhood. There are reasons it's not residential.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:34 PM

3 posts, read 3,094 times
This is cool place.In summer, all of the facilities are there.For living this is just best place.All things you want to live available on this place.like quiet at night, open place, garden,parking. everything is placed in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area