Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 10:56 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,275,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwillia View Post
Italian Family Pizza on 1st and Seneca is pretty authentic. Added bonus: $1.50 Budweisers.
It's authentic. The pizza is good. The people who run it are nice. But...it's not New York pizza. It's Philadelphia pizza, not quite the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 11:55 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,806,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
But Rotse: You're from Oregon. Maybe you just don't like New York pizza. I've only had Big Mario's by the whole pie, not by the slice. I hated the place( I know you know what I'm talking about), but I liked the pizza. Authentic doesn't necessarily mean it's something I'm going to like. I've been to Chicago and had Pizzeria Uno there. Meh. I've had supposedly very authentic Chinese food where very customer but me was Chinese, and I preferred the Chinese style I'm more familiar with.
They probably put a lot more effort during their non-busy hours into baking an entire pie. The ones they have on the slices are bland, underspiced, undersauced, minuscule toppings and a little bit of cheese. This is pretty common for the large New York slice style pizza being sold at various pizza shops around Seattle. I'm not sure how that classifies as authentic, unless low quality New York style pizza is considered authentic. Authentic, in my opinion, means it has an appreciable amount of flavor, not simply made in the fashion or style. I guess there is crappy pizza in New York, so maybe we can call it authentically crappy pizza. However, I do not care..

Yes, the Mario's bar is seedy, grimey, crowded, pretentious and annoying right in the middle of the Capitol Hill strip. Personally, I would take an MOD pizza any day of the week over Mario's for a fraction of the price. New York style or not..

Personally, I still like Old Chicago pizza chain. There is nothing that rivals Deep Dish pizza in my opinion. But, I just am very partial to deep dish pizza. New York pizza is only good when it is properly spiced and prepared. I think of a New York Pizza is a jumbo sized margherita Italian pizza. It's not the large amount of toppings or proportion of pizza you get, it's how it is prepared and the spices. A good margherita or other Italian wood fired pizza will beat out most any American pizza in my book, except a Chicago deep dish. Put cheese inside the crust and I will become enslaved to the pie. Yes, I know this is about as unauthentic of pizza as you can get once this has been done to the pizza.

Portland had a lot of inexpensive italian, pizza and calzone joints as I remember, but it's been so long since I am have done any extensive dining down there.

One place I found had passable calzones, which probably as means they have decent pizza, as well, is Varlamo's in the U-District. They are famous for their "giant" football sized calzones. In my opinion, they are not giant at all, but by Seattle standards they are big, but not big in comparison to the ones I would get at other hole in the wall joints in Portland.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:12 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,382,960 times
Good luck. Pagilacis is good but a lot of things here try to be something else from somewhere else. Don't even try for a Philly Steak.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:45 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,445,454 times
I second Italian Family Pizza. Traditional Fired baked Pie

Old 01-17-2016, 02:07 AM

21 posts, read 19,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
It's authentic. The pizza is good. The people who run it are nice. But...it's not New York pizza. It's Philadelphia pizza, not quite the same.
Ah, I was going from the opinions of my coworkers, several of whom are native New Yorkers and vouched for it. I can't really tell the difference between New York and Philadelphia pizza, but yeah, it's tasty.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:51 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,909,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Sinice I have moved to Seattle I haven't found New York style pizza. The only pizza that comes close is Ballard pizza company and Paglaicci. Is there a place I'm missing?
Ok, just import the dirty water from NY Hudson, and you'll have a real NY pizza! That's the only missing ingredient.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:23 AM

2,148 posts, read 2,912,883 times
I found Ballard pizza to be as authentic as new york pizza can get in Seattle. Ballard pizza also owns frelard pizza on Leary Way.

ROCCOS pizza in belltpwn is also goid new york style pizza from my experience

Old 11-02-2016, 09:05 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,037,726 times
I don't think these guys are NYC authentic but still delicious-- Vince's(local chain, red checked table cloth type place) - their pizza is great.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:44 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,275,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
I don't think these guys are NYC authentic but still delicious-- Vince's(local chain, red checked table cloth type place) - their pizza is great.
When I first moved to Seattle in 1978, there were only a couple of actually good pizza places, and Vince's was one of them. They're still good.
Nowadays, there are a whole bunch of good pizza places in Seattle, but still very few that are close to New York style. Vince's is somewhat similar, but Big Mario's, Rocco's, Bambinos, Italian family, and Dino's Tomato Pies all come very close. Flying Squirrel is NY ish, as is Smoking Monkey in Renton.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:59 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,310,033 times
Seattle News and Events | Delancey Owner Serves a Different Kind of Pie

The guy who owns Dino's Pizza on Capitol Hill is from New York/New Jersey and makes NY style pizza
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area