Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 04:01 PM

328 posts, read 471,404 times

Advertisements

Hi

I'm looking to relocate to Washington next year, however, I want to plan well, so I don't end up just crashing and failing

I have visited Washington state in the past, and I'm in love with the western part, even though it doesn't snow too often as I would prefer (first world problems )

I'm looking for an area that is safe, but also affordable to rent ($650-$750/mo)

I have found a few properties in tacoma, but I don't want that to be the only option

I'm moving alone, so an studio or 1:1 is good

Which areas can you plz recommend me? What should I expect? (Living vs visiting is different xD )

Thanks in advance ^_^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 04:04 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,807,216 times
Next best bets will be South King County, and Everett/etc. You'll still likely need to bump up your rent budget though.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:09 PM

I've seen several properties for this price, hence my range. Any recommendations plz?

What about olympia, lacey or the northgate mall area?

Old 01-18-2016, 04:13 PM

Olympia and Lacey are fine places to live, but not commutable to Seattle.

Northgate is more miss than hit, in general opinion.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:38 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,870,851 times
Ever thought of Spokane? - lower rents, has snow, still in Washington

Old 01-18-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
Ever thought of Spokane? - lower rents, has snow, still in Washington
I like that idea. Spokane is still "Washington" enough to work.

Old 01-18-2016, 05:24 PM

Lol. I like western, however, never been to Eastern to form an opinion xD

Seems like a lot of things are pointing that way to me. Either way, in case of west, Tacoma good though? Which other cities?

About commuting to seattle, I work retail banking so I can transfer wherever there's a branch, so seattle is not a must

I hope not to sound rude. Typed stuff doesn't reflect the relaxed tone in your voice :P

Old 01-18-2016, 07:24 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,908,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsard View Post
Hi

I'm looking to relocate to Washington next year, however, I want to plan well, so I don't end up just crashing and failing

I have visited Washington state in the past, and I'm in love with the western part, even though it doesn't snow too often as I would prefer (first world problems )

I'm looking for an area that is safe, but also affordable to rent ($650-$750/mo)

I have found a few properties in tacoma, but I don't want that to be the only option

I'm moving alone, so an studio or 1:1 is good

Which areas can you plz recommend me? What should I expect? (Living vs visiting is different xD )

Thanks in advance ^_^
Rents near the northgate mall area of Seattle range between $950-$1400 a month for a one bedroom apartment.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:33 PM

731 posts, read 930,912 times
What is it that you love so much about Western WA? The weather, the scenery, the people? Do you prefer large cities? I ask, because it's difficult to guide you otherwise. At your budget I would recommend going as far from Seattle as possible. Many people need to be close to the city to work and therefore are captive to the high rents.

Tacoma has good parts and really rough parts. At your price point I would assume you are looking at rentals in the rougher parts. That being said, I can't give you details about Tacoma other than to say, we can't tell you if that's a good or bad place for you. We can't say that an entire city is a good place to be. Depends on neighborhood and your needs.

If it's weather and scenery and outdoor activities you're looking for, I would recommend the Kitsap Peninsula (Gig Harbor, Bremerton, Poulsbo, etc). If you can get a job there, you can live much better on your budget and have much easier access to the out of doors.

I would also suggest Spokane to you. It's much more affordable, it snows much more, gets more sun and it is very close to Coeur D'alene ID, which is incredibly scenic. Look it up!

The closer you are to Seattle, the harder you will have to work just to get by.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:33 PM

is that a fancy area or is the mall?

My bad, didnt see the new post. I love the weather, scenery, the people are a LOT nicer than where I live at. You dont see people driving like 2 year olds either, and you dont get cursed at when you take an extra second at the traffic light

I suppose its worth it to give spokane a check. I dont know anythikng about there. Are people friendly? what about job availability?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area