Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about crazy Seattle sports fans
Ack! Enough with the stupid Seagulls flags! 22 52.38%
Hello, they're Seahawks and they're number 1! 20 47.62%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 07:46 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times

Advertisements

Soccer...sucks. It just doesn't get the motor fired up properly. At all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 10:39 AM

998 posts, read 786,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfanboy View Post
The problem isn't that sports fans are abhorrent, it's that Seattle sports fans are fake and fairweather. Before 2012, nobody outside a core group of NFL fans cared about the Seahawks. The Hawks were near last in the NFL in TV viewership and social media followers (this is coming from Forbes), then since 2012 the bandwagon has just become massive and downright annoying. The average Seahawks fan doesn't know anything about the franchise's history and many don't even understand the game completely. Whenever I go to games, 95% of people are wearing the brand new Nike design jerseys instead of anything from previous eras. Players like Alexander, Hasselback, Tatupu, Jones, and even way back from the Largent era are unknown to Seahawks fans. In every other NFL stadium fans show their appreciation for the past by wearing their throwbacks, not here.

The bandwagon fans that comprise the majority of the Seahawks fanbase will never truly know what winning feels like, because they never saw the bad days. There are sad fans of other teams who haven't even seen their teams win a Playoff game in decades, yet the entire Seahawks fanbase is cocky and showboaty despite having no emotional attachment to their team 3-4 years ago. It disgusts me. There are very few things I dislike about the Seattle area, I can probably only pin my finger on the grey weather, annoying hipsters, and of course the Seattle Seahawks (least classy team in the NFL) and their "fans."

The "12th man" flag is a literal representation of the year the majority of the Seahawks fanbase came to exist.
all true! I remember when they lost the Sonics, no one really even cared that much.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:22 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Not true. It's because American soccer sucks in general.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:05 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
And yet, The Sounders draw 40,000 fans per game, much larger than the Mariners. I don't get it.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:04 PM

415 posts, read 490,659 times
I'm not a sports fan myself. So much attention for a child's game... Where are our priorities?

I also find it hard to grasp the fascination that so many men have about watching a bunch of big young guys in shiny tight pants chase and jump onto each other. It's obnoxious, but it's most unseemly when the attentions of this sport-fandom are on teenagers still in high-school or college.

Abhorrent? That's a bit strong.

Obnoxious, ridiculous and wasteful? Absolutely.

On the other hand, sports fandom is a clear exception in our society so divided by unresolved challenges of ethnic, religious, social and political diversity. We really can't agree on any shared civic values. Even our heroes from history and the founding fathers have been undermined by post-modern revisionism... They were sexists... racists... slave-holders... homophobes... etc... or otherwise judged sinful by our modern progressive order. I bet some of them didn't even separate their recyclables!

We don't have anything in common any more except our local sports teams. They're the only content-neutral civic institution around which we can all still rally. But we better not look too closely at the moral character or these scholar-citizen-athletes... Does anybody believe that they would stand up to that same kind of scrutiny? Oh but they don't have to, because it's just a game and they're just jocks...

Old 02-03-2016, 09:30 PM

21 posts, read 19,384 times
Quote:
If I had to pick a sport to watch, it'd probably be soccer. Football just looks like a giant pile-up of guys in leggings and helmets to me, basketball is too high-scoring and arbitrary in terms of rules, baseball is insufferably boring, and hockey is too regional. Still can't get into caring about any teams though.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:05 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,495,584 times
I was here when the Sonic's started in 1967 and the Seahawk's in 1976. Mariner's around when the Seahawk's started I spose. I'd like ta trade the entire M's team for the New Orleans Pelican's NBA team and get pro basketball back where it belongs. It's in my blood, instilled by my Dad, who also loved sports. No fairweather game for this padre.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:04 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times
I tune out all sports except when its down to the wire playoff time.
I don't get the Sounders thing at all. But its good for the economy think of all the money passing thru each game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area