Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 04:40 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I don't know why homesinseattle created this thread. But I try to respect people's requests, and have tried not to rain on his parade. But he's not the moderator here, people can say anything they want, and this is the internet, where people's worst sides come out. So I didn't think, for a minute, that all we'd see were positive things about Seattle.
I also think that stating things like "Stay on your own side, just for once" almost dares people not to.
I agree on the dare but I think you are completely allowed to have a "What Do You Like About Seattle" thread. I see them in other forums as well. And Seattle posters are actually much more tolerant of the negative threads than other forums. Try having the negative threads in places like the Texas forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 04:54 PM

171 posts, read 218,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Just.no. Let me say this in a way that won't be as threatening to you. I created this thread as a way for others to express joy and positive feelings about where we live. I will tell you that I agree with you that Seattle has major challenges and imperfections. Having that awareness and expressing the things we love aren't mutually exclusive. The people who have stopped by this thread before you haven't signed a blood oath promising that they only think good things about this town.
I'm not sure that I believe this.

Quote:
So, please. There are ten threads about the negative parts of Seattle for every one thread like this. I think anyone who visits this forum is aware of both. You don't need to be our savior, we are capable of nuance in thought.
I'm not trying to be your savior. But if a person who performs a Google search and sees this thread as their first result, it's going to portray an unrealistic utopia.

Quote:
Let joy and happiness exist over here, can you?
NEVER!!! Kidding.... Again, there aren't any threads on CD that only portray the negative or only portray the positive, that's the way it should be. Opinions from both sides need to be heard.

On a side note and for no other reason than to satisfy my own curiosity.... Are you male or female?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I'll make this remedial for you:

Is that easier for you?
Saying that it's easier to move from CA to WA than from CA to TX is not the same as saying that Tech Companies move to Seattle because their employees like Seattle.... I hope you're not being serious.

What goes through a tech companies mind when moving or expanding?

Cost effectiveness? Check!

Ease of transition for the company? Check!

Whether or not their employees think the company's proposed city is a great place to live? Probably way down on the list. This is a business, not a marriage.

My statement about moving from CA to WA being easier than moving from CA to TX had absolutely nothing to do with Seattle's likability.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:46 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just.No View Post
Saying that it's easier to move from CA to WA than from CA to TX is not the same as saying that Tech Companies move to Seattle because their employees like Seattle.... I hope you're not being serious.

What goes through a tech companies mind when moving or expanding?

Cost effectiveness? Check!

Ease of transition for the company? Check!

Whether or not their employees think the company's proposed city is a great place to live? Probably way down on the list. This is a business, not a marriage.

My statement about moving from CA to WA being easier than moving from CA to TX had absolutely nothing to do with Seattle's likability.
The word you yourself used was prefer. And you seem to find it impossible to comprehend that people disagree with you. Guess what? People disagree with you. You are not the arbiter of what is good or bad in the world. You have an opinion, you made a judgement and left. We left for a corporate move and deeply regretted it. We could not get back fast enough. People have opinions that are different from yours.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:03 PM

171 posts, read 218,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The word you yourself used was prefer. And you seem to find it impossible to comprehend that people disagree with you. Guess what? People disagree with you. You are not the arbiter of what is good or bad in the world. You have an opinion, you made a judgement and left. We left for a corporate move and deeply regretted it. We could not get back fast enough. People have opinions that are different from yours.
Sure.... Whatever you say boss.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:54 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,068 times
Too bad that club-what was its name-on 1st Ave closed. Oh, yeah, Lusty Lady. Lots of exploited young sexy women there for years and years.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:05 PM

259 posts, read 522,707 times
The warm winters. Most people here are friendly and courteous....comparatively speaking, of course.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:09 AM

735 posts, read 871,684 times
Damn it, he found us out! Homesinseattle, I told you the blood oath was a bad idea!

Just.No., the title clearly states that there are haters out there, if someone stumbled upon this thread, they should be able to figure out that there is a downside to Seattle. It sounds like you were a Twilight fan that moved expecting to find sparkly vampires and left sorely disappointed. I am sorry that you made a fundamentally bad decision for yourself and I hope that wherever you moved to is a better fit.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:23 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
Damn it, he found us out! Homesinseattle, I told you the blood oath was a bad idea!

Just.No., the title clearly states that there are haters out there, if someone stumbled upon this thread, they should be able to figure out that there is a downside to Seattle. It sounds like you were a Twilight fan that moved expecting to find sparkly vampires and left sorely disappointed. I am sorry that you made a fundamentally bad decision for yourself and I hope that wherever you moved to is a better fit.

You mean there aren't any sparkly vampires? Aw crap.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:27 AM

678 posts, read 875,785 times
After this weekend, what I really hate about Seattle is Capitol Hill... Lots of aggressive snobby hipsters which make it feel like an awkward hostile environment rather than a hopping cool place to hangout. I went there Saturday night and just thought "What the Fu*" There was also 2 fights.. One involving guys and another involving girls. Group of loser low-life social reject hipsters kicked me out of a place because apparently I wasn't cool enough to hangout with the hipsters.

Other than Capitol Hill, I've experienced no problems with any other part I've hungout in the city (Belltown, Pioneer Square, Ballard, Sodo, U-District, West Seattle). But yeah, holy Jesus mother of crap, Capitol Hill was absolute trash with trash people. It's unfortunate though, especially because Capitol Hill is the most lively part of the city. But holy crap I left that place scarred or something, it was that bad. I'm back at work now, it's Monday, and I'm still thinking about it.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:27 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Here's my take on Seattle:

I lived in Olympia once and Seattle was better. As for the OP's original list, I don't know why anyone would want to do some of those things, but for people who do, I guess Seattle is heaven on earth. Carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area