Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 03:37 PM

479 posts, read 1,433,944 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to the area in the next couple years. I would probably be more interested in living in one of the suburbs, such as Everett or Edmonds, rather than the city itself. A few other things about me:

- I am in my late 20s, male, and currently single, so a good job market and dating scene is important to me
- I have previously lived in and around Chicago and Denver
- I like being able to use public transit if possible
- I absolutely love the scenery in the PNW, even more than the scenery in Colorado. Another draw for me is that Seattle is close to both mountains and water, while my previous cities only have one but not the other.

Based on those factors, and just in general, what are the pros and cons of living in the Seattle area? How does it compare to the places I've lived before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 04:17 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Why wouldn't you want to live within the city limits? There are more transit options there. Would you be working in Seattle? More info needed.

Everett and Edmonds are nice. You have easy access to the ferry to the Kitsap Peninsula and the Olympic Peninsula beyond, for hiking and other outdoor activities in nature. There are commute buses into Seattle from both those locations. Evening service (for attending events in Seattle, dating, etc.) is more sparse.

One thing I've noticed about the suburbs to the north of Seattle is that people are friendlier. Others on this forum have stated the same, and also say the suburbs to the south are that way, as well. I don't know why that would be, and why people in Seattle are so reserved, but that's the way it is. So the dating scene could well be better up there, even though that might seem counter-intuitive, because the population is smaller in places like Edmonds.

Old 01-23-2016, 04:50 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,828,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why wouldn't you want to live within the city limits? There are more transit options there. Would you be working in Seattle? More info needed.
I would ask him the opposite, why would you want to spend an extra $500-1000 /mo for the luxury to be able to take overcrowded buses that will take you as long to get from A to B as driving your car down to Seattle from Lynnwood or Everett.

Edmonds and Lynnwood offer nicer living than Seattle city proper. You pay a premium for that closet you will rent in Seattle city limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post
I am thinking of moving to the area in the next couple years. I would probably be more interested in living in one of the suburbs, such as Everett or Edmonds, rather than the city itself. A few other things about me:

- I am in my late 20s, male, and currently single, so a good job market and dating scene is important to me
- I absolutely love the scenery in the PNW, even more than the scenery in Colorado. Another draw for me is that Seattle is close to both mountains and water, while my previous cities only have one but not the other.

Based on those factors, and just in general, what are the pros and cons of living in the Seattle area? How does it compare to the places I've lived before?
OP, your question is so vague, I don't know where to even begin. Have you spent any time reading the Seattle City Data forum threads??

Here are some things to know about Seattle as a 20 something male:
1. It's liberal, very liberal
2. It's expensive (If you are not from San Francisco, Los Angeles or New York)
3. It rains a lot and is overcast a lot. I MEAN A LOT. Not always the rain, but the overcast.
4. Men outnumber women considerably and it has a challenging dating environment, esp for a run-of-the-mill anti-social techy/nerdy type.
5. If you enjoy the greenery, avoid living anywhere Downtown, Capitol Hill , Belltown, LQA, etc. I've met many people who came here for nature only to curse how few trees and plants there are in Seattle. Of course, you move to an apartment in Lower Queen Anne do you think you will be surrounded by giant old growth trees? Duh! But many have an illusion there are giant trees growing next to every building. If you want nature moving out of the city is a better bet.
6. There is traffic.. LOTS OF TRAFFIC! If you live in Everett or Edmonds, be prepared to sit in this traffic. However, if you rely on public transportation, getting from one point of the city to another may not be a better bet. Therefore, like many other Seattlites you will be confined to your neighborhood which will be like its own little city, in itself, to you.
7. Seattle is horribly overcrowded, See #6

Old 01-23-2016, 06:21 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
OP, your question is so vague, I don't know where to even begin. Have you spent any time reading the Seattle City Data forum threads??

Here are some things to know about Seattle as a 20 something male:
1. It's liberal, very liberal
2. It's expensive (If you are not from San Francisco, Los Angeles or New York)
3. It rains a lot and is overcast a lot. I MEAN A LOT. Not always the rain, but the overcast.
4. Men outnumber women considerably and it has a challenging dating environment, esp for a run-of-the-mill anti-social techy/nerdy type.
5. If you enjoy the greenery, avoid living anywhere Downtown, Capitol Hill , Belltown, LQA, etc. I've met many people who came here for nature only to curse how few trees and plants there are in Seattle. Of course, you move to an apartment in Lower Queen Anne do you think you will be surrounded by giant old growth trees? Duh! But many have an illusion there are giant trees growing next to every building. If you want nature moving out of the city is a better bet.
6. There is traffic.. LOTS OF TRAFFIC! If you live in Everett or Edmonds, be prepared to sit in this traffic. However, if you rely on public transportation, getting from one point of the city to another may not be a better bet. Therefore, like many other Seattlites you will be confined to your neighborhood which will be like its own little city, in itself, to you.
7. Seattle is horribly overcrowded, See #6
I assume you DON'T work for the Seattle Chamber of Commerce??

Old 01-23-2016, 09:02 PM

8,170 posts, read 8,292,916 times
Everett is more affordable than Edmonds, has the Sounder commuter rail/good transit options, is on Puget Sound and is a straight shot out Hwy (1 1/2 hours) to beautiful Stevens Pass. It also has the added benefit of being that much closer for weekend Canada trips.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:53 PM

337 posts, read 494,669 times
Quote:
This isn't correct, it's only overcast during the winter. Summers are blue skies the entire season.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:08 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,828,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymorphist View Post
This isn't correct, it's only overcast during the winter. Summers are blue skies the entire season.
It's overcast a lot more than just winter.. Seriously.. I grew up in the Northwest.. I remember even as a kid, sitting around in April to overcast skies just begging for when I will see the sun in the Spring. It wasn't until June one year before those thick grey clouds would finally disappear. Yeah, Summer, which is 2-3 months is sunny. Sometimes we have Indian summers and summer can be 4 months and even have a sunny autumn. Notice the word SOMETIMES, and sometimes is not the normal.

Anyhow, I don't mind the overcast, had it not been for the grey and gloomy weather, Seattle would have grown to 10,000,000 by now.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:17 PM

337 posts, read 494,669 times
It's blue skies from May through October. It is. I've been here nearly 20 years, summers are very good here. Yes, winter is overcast, low-clouds and misty, but coming from frigid temperatures, ice and snow, i'll take cloudy rainy winter all day long.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:34 PM

8,069 posts, read 8,361,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidburn View Post

Given your criteria, why would you live anywhere but in an urban city (Seattle, central Bellevue, Tacoma's Northend, maybe downtown Everett, etc.)???? Living in the suburbs (all car-dominated, with less transit, and little or no 20-something "dating scene") sounds like it would be "death on toast" for you. If you want action, don't move to "Familyland". Note: Seattle is not Detroit, Chicago, or even Denver. The further out, the worse it tends to get.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:58 AM

269 posts, read 297,473 times
Quote:
4. Men outnumber women considerably

What sorts of drugs were you on when you penned that erroneous statement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area