U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2008, 01:13 AM

173 posts, read 515,271 times

Advertisements

OK

I posted earlier on working in Bothell and wondering where to live. Turns out the job is in Bothell and Bellvue, 2 days Bothel, 3 days Bellvue. Here is what I am looking for (from the other post)

1) Nice views water or mountains, or both if possible.
2) 1/4 Plus acre
3) Easy commute (car or bus, longer if by bus)
4) Nice community
5) Near water if possible
6) Informal community, not some high strung place where HOAs come out and measure your grass.
7) More of a country feel
8) Reasonable access to mass transit in to Seattle.

After driving around and looking at mass transit maps it seems like the best places for this would be Redmond or Kirkland. They seem to be in between both points and accessible to transit. Does this sound right to folks?

Art

Thanks much for any suggestions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 01:43 AM

3,871 posts, read 16,271,313 times
Hi again, ArtF. Okay, first it's Bellevue with an "e" in the middle, French for belle beautiful and vue view.

You're the person with the Newfies, right? You may have gleaned from your previous Bothell post that if you want acreage, Woodinville is your best bet. But commuting from Woodinville going south to Bellevue will likely be a nightmare, and the same going back north in the evening. So Bothell becomes your best bet.

Again, I recommend our leading source of real estate info here for areas all around Seattle, including every city we've mentioned in all our replies:
Real estate for sale: Seattle Real Estate, Top Seattle Real Estate Search, TheMLSonline.com
You might also be interested to search on Craigslist.

Redrum's reply to you is still completely appropriate (see below). But for a liveable commute, you really don't want to live NORTH of Bothell; as we've said, living EAST makes a much better commute.

If I were you, I'd still focus on trying to find a home in Bothell -- better prices, better size lots for the Newfies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum View Post
You'll probably want to avoid Mill Creek (north of Bothell), it's a planned community.

You can definitely find an older, non-HOA house with a large yard in a decent neighborhood in Bothell for under $525k.

However, I think you'll have to compromise on either the view or commute. Finding a house on a quarter acre with a view of water and mountains is going to cost more than $525k in any nearby community. For that price, you'd probably need to look farther up north like Everett, Lake Stevens, and Marysville, which really aren't that far but you'll need to use I-5 and 405 to get to Bothell, and both can become very congested during the daily commute.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:46 AM

5,597 posts, read 18,195,097 times
I'd take the first one off your list. I'll go out on a limb and say that finding a place in a nice neighborhood with "nice views water or mountains, or both if possible" will be impossible to find below 500k in Kirkland or Redmond.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:40 PM

1,961 posts, read 5,696,415 times
The commute from Woodinville to Bellevue is probably the same as from Bothell. There are back ways to get there. If you are able to be flexible in your hours then commute isn't bad.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:15 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,474 posts, read 14,870,948 times
I didn't see him mention what he/she is willing to pay. Might could get that 1/4 acre + with a million or two. Maybe he makes more than the median income (60K) and can afford more than a median income home.

They didn't say how many rooms they are looking for...Maybe they need a 1 bedroom on a 1/4 acre plus.....with parking for one car. They didn't specify....and if it was important, they would have listed what size they wanted, etc.

Edit.. just read his other post

Looking to buy, I have Newfoundland Dogs and trying to rent with a 150 lb. dog doesn't work well. As for budget I am looking at 525K and down with a preference under 500K. Some of this will depend on a relo offer and ability to sell my existing house but I don't have that in hand yet.

Kirkland, WA real estate guide - Trulia.com

Art

Good luck with that. I don't see that as being possible. In fact, you're not going to find that anywhere near Seattle.

Last edited by 70Ford; 02-10-2008 at 04:31 AM..

Old 02-10-2008, 10:21 AM

173 posts, read 515,271 times
First off folks, thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!

Second, yep, I'm the newfie guy. The site in Bellevue is right near Factoria Square, it seemed like commuting from Bothell to there would be fairly painful. I was out for the interview and went out driving around for a couple of hours looking at houses, it seemed like there were some on the outskirts of Redmond and some in Kirkland that were around 525+- that were OK though am I missing something?

Art
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area