Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,819 times

Advertisements

As a Seattle professional white woman, I have always been strongly attracted to black men, but unfortunately I don't know how to find a black man to date (whom I feel justifies my trust). I have been approached by some who are into the quick short encounter but that's not me. But I've not had anyone approach me who is interested in a stable relationship since I was 17. Unfortunately I am married now, so it's out of the question, but if I ever became single, how would I go about seeking someone of color? I just wanted you to know that women in Seattle are open-minded about interracial relationships. I am married to a man who is 1/2 Japanese.

Last edited by Gemsgirl; 03-01-2016 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: Added more information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 12:39 PM

159 posts, read 185,599 times
Then maybe if you could share some about your stor and how your husband approached you and or how you met him?

Old 03-01-2016, 01:04 PM

171 posts, read 218,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
I am curious about that term he uses He doesn't like White but my dutch husband is white and I am all celtic and some Dutch/ Belgian some people think I look light Cuban or Brazilian.
Funny but my husband wouldn't touch an eastern european with a 10 ft pole . VERY bad experiences with business associate's in that region .
I guess this includes Scandinavia too .

Like another poster said , People from Spain and Italy / Greece can be quite dark and still European .

I personally had a Hawaiian GOD approach me at the bus stop near a Fred Meyer to tell he how beautiful I was and help me with my groceries ..OH MY GOODNESS !!!

If I were 30 years younger and single WOW !!!
The world is so interesting I really couldn't exclude anyone according to race or nationality . Deal breakers for me are in other categories ( users , bums , drunks etc )
Without ever having met your husband, I can assure you that he isn't "White", think about what you're saying.... I hate the terms "White" and "Black" to describe race because they are inaccurate and intellectually lazy terms to use.

If you saw a person who's of Asian descent commit a crime and were asked by the police what race he is, you wouldn't say, "Oh, he was a Yellow male, about 5'10'' with a slim build"..... No one would take that descriptor seriously, and rightfully so. Try to apply that same logic when referring to people of African or European descent.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:14 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just.No View Post
Without ever having met your husband, I can assure you that he isn't "White", think about what you're saying.... I hate the terms "White" and "Black" to describe race because they are inaccurate and intellectually lazy terms to use.

If you saw a person who's of Asian descent commit a crime and were asked by the police what race he is, you wouldn't say, "Oh, he was a Yellow male, about 5'10'' with a slim build"..... No one would take that descriptor seriously, and rightfully so. Try to apply that same logic when referring to people of African or European descent.
While you are repeatedly complaining about the terms black and white, the OP used the term and it appears the OP is black/African American. Further, I don't see how this has anything to do with Seattle.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:20 PM

415 posts, read 490,659 times
Quote:
Either (at least part of) your story is made up or you have to be the nosiest person that I've ever come across. Never have a stared at a stranger's computer screen long enough to be able to describe in any detail what they were actually doing... Seriously dude, get a life.
Apparently you've never shared a table at a branch of the Seattle Public Library. Sitting less than ten inches apart rubbing shoulders with your neighbor it's not easy to ignore what they're doing, whether it be playing computer games, watching trash on YouTube or WorldStar HipHop, viewing smut or browsing various dating sites. I do try to tune it all out wearing earplugs or headphones, but even when you're focused working or reading one can't avoid looking up. It's a public space and if anybody prefers privacy, then doing it in the public library is probably the wrong idea.

Why is my account so hard to believe? That some people of color might prefer blondes? Is that it?

Old 03-01-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
While you are repeatedly complaining about the terms black and white, the OP used the term and it appears the OP is black/African American. Further, I don't see how this has anything to do with Seattle.
Yes, no doubt that he's been taught from infancy that it's appropriate to refer to people who are of African descent as being "Black" and people who are of European descent as "White". What point do you feel you're making? That these inaccurate terms he's using are no more than an unfortunate byproduct of growing up in a society that uses ignorant terms to define race? If this were 50 years ago, he (and probably you) would refer to African Americans as N*groes, if this were the 1600's he (and probably you) would refer to people of African descent as n*ggers, it doesn't mean that it's correct or accurate. Hopefully one day, American people will progress to using correct terms to define people of African and European descent.

The only reason these ridiculous terms have stuck is because the term "white" is usually associated with being good, pure, and/or a lesser evil (ie white lie, white hat, white goes first in the game of chess) while "black" is often associated with being bad (ie black sheep of the family, black ball, black hat).

Unfortunately, people of African descent often don't read enough about European supremacy and we don't resent West Europeans, West European terminologies, and West European society to the extent that we should.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:39 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Yes, no doubt that he's been taught from infancy that it's appropriate to refer to people who are of African descent as being "Black" and people who are of European descent as "White". What point do you feel you're making? That these inaccurate terms he's using are no more than an unfortunate byproduct of growing up in a society that uses ignorant terms to define race? If this were 50 years ago, he (and probably you) would refer to African Americans as N*groes, if this were the 1600's he (and probably you) would refer to people of African descent as n*ggers, it doesn't mean that it's correct or accurate. Hopefully one day, American people will progress to using correct terms to define people of African and European descent.

The only reason these ridiculous terms have stuck is because the term "white" is usually associated with being good, pure, and/or a lesser evil (ie white lie, white hat, white goes first in the game of chess) while "black" is often associated with being bad (ie black sheep of the family, black ball, black hat).

Unfortunately, people of African descent often don't read enough about European supremacy and we don't resent West Europeans, West European terminologies, and West European society to the extent that we should.
Alrighty. This really has nothing to do with Seattle. At all.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:56 PM

415 posts, read 490,659 times
Quote:
So you're saying black people should resent white people more than they already do.

Charming.

I'd say that's quite a bit more than a little microagression....
That is if our progressive worldview believed that people of color could also be racist.
Because from what I've seen plenty sure are.

PS. What do you call a black African, a black Englishman or a black German? Certainly not African-American I hope. Because that's what Charlize Theron is.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treuphax View Post
So you're saying black people should resent white people more than they already do.

Charming.

I'd say that's quite a bit more than a little microagression....
That is if our progressive worldview believed that people of color could also be racist.
Because from what I've seen plenty sure are.

PS. What do you call a black African, a black Englishman or a black German? Certainly not African-American I hope. Because that's what Charlize Theron is.
African or a person of African descent.

What do you call a person of Asian descent who's born in America, England, or Germany? ... Asian, right?

Old 03-01-2016, 02:42 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djay135 View Post
Ok guys please be honest. Don't just say "yea interracial dating is great here" just to make your city look good. I am really looking to relocate there in 2017. I am a web developer, I date outside my race my last gf was French. I really feel like Seattle would be the perfect place to find girls who are weird, gamers, artsy, and fun to be around with.

So would be hard to actually find dates with whites women there. Or are most of them close minded and are afraid to date black guys. And no I am not talking about the fat ones(no offense) just trying to be honest.

Thanks guys!

Yeah, LOTS of Seattle women will be all over you.......no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area