Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 03:00 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,588 times

Advertisements

I have a question for you Seattle residents. Are any of you ocean lovers or people who at least thought before they moved that they couldn't live without the beach or close access to it? Is Alki beach enough for you? I'm not someone who gets to go much to the beach these days anyway, living in NYC, but I've always thought my ultimate dream destination for a city involved ocean access. It's the type of nature that resonates with me most, and I love all kinds of water activities. So, to me, even though the surrounding area of Seattle looks enchanting, I was wondering whether I would regret not moving to a place where beach life wasn't a big deal. Were any of you self-described ocean lovers at one point who found yourself pleasantly surprised? Or perhaps did you move to Seattle to find it was something you really didn't need that much after all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 03:31 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
I guess the second one, found I didn't need it as much as I thought. Maybe I'm just making the best of my reality. I'm a Miami boy, born and raised, here in Seattle 26 years now. The beaches themselves (Alki, Golden Gardens-Shilshole) are really pretty, great sunsets, I can get my beach volleyball on if I want. The water in Puget Sound is really cold, I might take a dip after a hard volleyball game but not for long. The rivers and lakes around here are much better for that, great tubing, kayaking, swimming.

I do get away to places where I can swim in the sea a couple times a year (South America, Africa, Asia, Hawaii). That's enough for me, I guess.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:15 PM

368 posts, read 695,581 times
Seattle isn't on the Coast, so you have water that's come into the Sound. Not as fun as the Ocean with big waves/sounds. Also, while pretty in their own way, most Washington beaches are rock or black sand. If you like kayaking and boating it's great, if you're into warm swimming and warm sunny days at the beach that is limited here.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:22 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
I have a question for you Seattle residents. Are any of you ocean lovers or people who at least thought before they moved that they couldn't live without the beach or close access to it? Is Alki beach enough for you? I'm not someone who gets to go much to the beach these days anyway, living in NYC, but I've always thought my ultimate dream destination for a city involved ocean access. It's the type of nature that resonates with me most, and I love all kinds of water activities. So, to me, even though the surrounding area of Seattle looks enchanting, I was wondering whether I would regret not moving to a place where beach life wasn't a big deal. Were any of you self-described ocean lovers at one point who found yourself pleasantly surprised? Or perhaps did you move to Seattle to find it was something you really didn't need that much after all?
I love the ocean but Puget Sound and even the WA coast don't count. Why? No crashing surf, and it's way too cold to splash around in and swim in. Though I've swum in it, but only to prove an endurance thing.

The ocean and beach (for swimming, I do beaches on Lake Washington, which are very nice IMO) around Puget Sound are a very different thing than CA or FL. Puget Sound is good for sailing or canoeing. It's good for exploring the islands under sail or paddle power, that's my thing. It's a whole different approach than in the sunnier states.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:48 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,284 times
The Pacific Ocean is considerably colder than the Atlantic, and anywhere north of central California is going to be too cold for swimming much/most of the time. So that makes the coast more of an aesthetic experience unless you're into sailing, scuba diving, fishing, etc.

There's plenty of crashing surf within 2 or 3 hours of Seattle, but the whole summer-sand-beach-swimming thing isn't all that big in the northwest, or really anywhere north of southern California.

I grew up on the beach in LA and do miss it, but I like the Sound, the islands, and the Washington/Oregon coasts just as much.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:56 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,072 times
Its different, if your from a warm weather beach locale it could be a big deal. If your like me and from the PNW, spent years away in non coastal areas (including within drives of some southeast beaches that were great) you will love just seeing the water every day, walking on the beaches etc and although they may not be sandy (and perhaps not your idea of a beach if your not from this part of the country) there are tons of other beaches beyond the couple mentioned. Oh, did I mention seeing the mountains at the same time.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:59 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Long drive from Seattle but great for a weekend camping trip. Shi Shi Beach/Point of Arches (far NW of Olympic Peninsula) will take your breath away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGqJG7wosus

Old 02-29-2016, 07:07 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
No real proper outdoor swimming here as the lakes are full of duck poo so swimmer's itch and unpleasant.
That leaves the glacier lakes (chelan, crescent) which are beautiful and swimmable though very cold though pleasant on a hot day though a significant drive from Seattle.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:08 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I love the ocean but Puget Sound and even the WA coast don't count. Why? No crashing surf, and it's way too cold to splash around in and swim in. Though I've swum in it, but only to prove an endurance thing.

The ocean and beach (for swimming, I do beaches on Lake Washington, which are very nice IMO) around Puget Sound are a very different thing than CA or FL. Puget Sound is good for sailing or canoeing. It's good for exploring the islands under sail or paddle power, that's my thing. It's a whole different approach than in the sunnier states.
No crashing surf in the Washington coast, are you sure about that?

Old 02-29-2016, 08:49 PM

964 posts, read 994,548 times
I agree that it's a different type of beach and ocean culture in the NW. As long as you can adapt to that, you'll be happy. If you're always going around nostalgic about the surfer scene in California, the roller-skating on the boardwalks, and that kind of thing, you won't be happy. If you don't mind taking up kayaking around the lakes, or long-distance boating through the islands, or kayaking along the Oly Peninsula, you'll be in paradise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area