Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2016, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 1,983 times

Advertisements

Hi guys recently moved from Georgia. I work in parkland Tacoma area while wife will work around Bellevue. I was thinking about living in maple valley Covington but all the apartments are taken. What are the thoughts of west seattle or Bellevue where I will be doing a reverse commute and not be in traffic? Will this be doable? I'm used to commuting for 1 hr one way at my old job so it seems alright.

I thought about living down south and wife takes the sounder but she won't do that. We would like a relatively safe area and I hear that the area between seatac and parkland isn't the best. Any thoughts to do reverse commute idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 12:31 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
You might look at Burien, nice community and good commute middle ground for the two of you. Your wife could pop up 405 to Bellevue and you could bush whack a bit, join I-5 South around Des Moines and head to work in decent shape. No commute is ideal but this would be workable.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 03-05-2016 at 01:22 PM..

Old 03-05-2016, 01:00 PM

319 posts, read 346,223 times
West Seattle to Bellevue is a common commute so not really a reverse commute. Bellevue to Tacoma is going to be rough on 405. Once you get to 5 it might be ok but expect 405 to be a nightmare in any direction at any time close to commute time on weekdays. I would track those routes on Google maps/ traffic function over a few days at the times you would want to drive them. That might give you a more accurate view.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:27 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsk070 View Post
Hi guys recently moved from Georgia. I work in parkland Tacoma area while wife will work around Bellevue. I was thinking about living in maple valley Covington but all the apartments are taken. What are the thoughts of west seattle or Bellevue where I will be doing a reverse commute and not be in traffic? Will this be doable? I'm used to commuting for 1 hr one way at my old job so it seems alright.

I thought about living down south and wife takes the sounder but she won't do that. We would like a relatively safe area and I hear that the area between seatac and parkland isn't the best. Any thoughts to do reverse commute idea?
Doable? Sure. Most of the time the commute will only be an hour or slightly longer. But....
It's not like Bellevue or West Seattle are the be all and end all. They're nice, sure. I'd happily live in either place and I know you say an hour one way commute is no sweat. But there's a difference between actually moving for an hour, and sitting in traffic. And there are places other than Bellevue and West Seattle that are perfectly livable. Vince mentioned Burien. Renton's another. Parts of Kent are nice. Less traffic, and lower housing costs, while not being unsafe or unpleasant.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
There are really no more reverse commutes around here, people go to work in every direction. Seattle has big employers, but so does Redmond, Bellevue, Auburn, Everett, and Kent. I agree with Ira, the worst thing is sitting in traffic at a standstill or barely moving for much of an hour, I'd much rather be driving at the speed limit for an hour to farther. We should be famous for our "choke points". I would definitely stick to a place at least close to the middle. Besides those already mentioned, try Maple Valley, and even Auburn has some nice areas and large apartment complexes.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:36 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are really no more reverse commutes around here, people go to work in every direction. Seattle has big employers, but so does Redmond, Bellevue, Auburn, Everett, and Kent. I agree with Ira, the worst thing is sitting in traffic at a standstill or barely moving for much of an hour, I'd much rather be driving at the speed limit for an hour to farther. We should be famous for our "choke points". I would definitely stick to a place at least close to the middle. Besides those already mentioned, try Maple Valley, and even Auburn has some nice areas and large apartment complexes.
The problem with "chokepoints" is that there aren't many, if any, good alternatives. You're stuck.

On a pure commute basis, I'd agree with Kent-Auburn, east of SR-167. There are rentals there, so you should get a semi-decent rent.

If you have flexibility in your work hours, that can make a big difference. Boeing starts early, so leaving earlier won't necessarily help on a "reverse" commute.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:34 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
What about Issaquah or Snoqualmie? The commute to Tacoma/Parkland would be the question, on Highway 18.

What's your budget? I'm seeing rentals in Zillow for Maple Valley/Covington, although mostly houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area