Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 03:59 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeThereYet?? View Post
If I am in the HOV lane legally and all other traffic is at a stand-still and I am already going 5-10 mph over the speed limit, I am not going to move over to let someone pass me in the HOV lane. It would be dangerous since traffic in the other lanes are going so slow and I guarantee you if I did slow down enough to get over to the other lane the driver behind me would probably lose their mind for slowing down so much.
You're missing the point in the rush to identify an exception. Just do what's best for you, everyone else does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaonevar View Post
The express portion is the only portion I drive. And it's not a non-issue. People still tailgate like crazy folks. And no, while I won't burst into flames for "giv[ing] it a little gas," I'm not going to travel faster than 65-70 just because you want me to. Not worth the ticket. You'll live.
Maybe...or maybe I'll be frustrated at your efforts to try and control my speed, pursue a reckless pass and kill us both. Would you feel better then? I wonder how it feels to be so right, and dead? I know I wouldn't care.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:40 PM

180 posts, read 321,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
You're missing the point in the rush to identify an exception. Just do what's best for you, everyone else does.
Its not an exception. Its the daily norm during rush hour on 90. I have witnessed on a daily basis people trying to bully the person in the HOV lane because they arent going 20 over the speed limit. What do they expect them to do?

Old 05-08-2016, 11:48 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
It is my opinion that the HOV lane should be for faster drivers, but unfortunately there is no law that says slower HOV drivers can't use it. Hence, the rage.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:57 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,121,823 times
Quote:
Also, I can't "pull over, let someone pass, then return to the lane" in regards to the HOV lane. You cannot cross the double white lines. It's dangerous and illegal.
This is an example of someone who doesn't know what's going on. The HOV lanes don't have double white lines.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:18 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
What we need are Pace Cars, like at the Indy 500 or Nascar. Pass the pace car, and be forced to have a pit stop.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:16 PM

338 posts, read 847,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
This is an example of someone who doesn't know what's going on. The HOV lanes don't have double white lines.
I should have said the express HOV lanes of 405, which very much have double white lines and a ton of signs saying it is a ticketable offense to cross them.
WSDOT News - 2015 - Seeing double

Even WSDOT calls them HOV lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Maybe...or maybe I'll be frustrated at your efforts to try and control my speed, pursue a reckless pass and kill us both. Would you feel better then? I wonder how it feels to be so right, and dead? I know I wouldn't care.
Wow. I'm driving legally and you're not. Road rage is dangerous. You shouldn't be driving with an attitude like that. Seriously.
This conversation was about tailgaters. I brought up how frustrating they are in the 405 Express/HOV Toll lanes or whatever you want to call them. It's one thing to be frustrated at the idiot going 10 under in the left lane. It's another thing entirely to be enraged over someone going plenty fast in the toll lane.

Old 05-09-2016, 11:39 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,121,823 times
Quote:
I should have said the express HOV lanes of 405, which very much have double white lines and a ton of signs saying it is a ticketable offense to cross them.
WSDOT News - 2015 - Seeing double
I-405 between Lynnwood and Bellevue does not have HOV lanes. Single occupant vehicles can also drive in that lane.

Quote:
Even WSDOT calls them HOV lanes.
No they don't anymore. That article is from September 2015 before the start of the Express Toll Lanes (ETL).

Old 05-10-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeThereYet?? View Post
Its not an exception. Its the daily norm during rush hour on 90. I have witnessed on a daily basis people trying to bully the person in the HOV lane because they arent going 20 over the speed limit. What do they expect them to do?
Be respectful and curteous by either #1 pulling over, #2 speeding up and passing a car so they can change lanes, or #3 slow down so that they can change lanes. Your choice, but clearly option #4, staying put, is a problem to traffic flow and other drivers. Your choice as to what kind of person you want to be on the road.

Quote:
In some places it does.

Quote:
I-405 between Lynnwood and Bellevue does not have HOV lanes. Single occupant vehicles can also drive in that lane.

No they don't anymore. That article is from September 2015 before the start of the Express Toll Lanes (ETL).
Semantics....I clearly understood what he/she was saying.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Wow. I'm driving legally and you're not. Road rage is dangerous. You shouldn't be driving with an attitude like that. Seriously.
This conversation was about tailgaters. I brought up how frustrating they are in the 405 Express/HOV Toll lanes or whatever you want to call them. It's one thing to be frustrated at the idiot going 10 under in the left lane. It's another thing entirely to be enraged over someone going plenty fast in the toll lane.
You get your very own response because clearly you couldn't follow the conversation. What was presented was a completely fictitious and over the top post to make a point. The fact that you took it as a serious threat to which you accuse me of having dangerous "road rage" and being "enraged" is pretty telling.

Interestingly, in your rush to respond you failed to answer the question. So I'll ask again. Is your insistence on controlling the flow of traffic, in violation of state law, justified if someone dies as a result? Doesn't have to legally be your fault, but if your actions contributed to an accident, I think you have some moral responsibility because you had the choice to reduce the risk, and failed to act. Worse, you consciously made the decision not to act. IMO, you should be held as culpable as the driver who caused this fictitious accident, but that's not the way it works. The situation you describe contributes to driver frustration and ultimately road rage. This in turns leads to stupid decisions. there is a very clear cause and effect in play here, yet you insist on staying in your lane driving "plenty fast"? IMO, this action is about as dangerous as it gets.

At the end of the day, it's not your call to decide what "plenty fast" is. That is the sole responsibility of the Washington State Patrol. Your only obligation is to be a responsible, and courteous, driver. That means moving aside when you are obviously holding someone up if you are unwilling or unable to go faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area