Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 10:57 AM

731 posts, read 935,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trysometh View Post
I moved here from NY/NJ and the people here is the only thing I dislike. Otherwise, It's laid back, nice QOL, mild climate. Socially, not the best place though.

What's laid back? The mountains? The buildings? Cause usually that term is used to describe people, but that can't be because you don't like the people.

Confused...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 11:28 AM

391 posts, read 453,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
What's laid back? The mountains? The buildings? Cause usually that term is used to describe people, but that can't be because you don't like the people.

Confused...
The vibe. People are laid back too, maybe too laid back.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:42 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
I moved here from NY/NJ and the people here is the only thing I dislike. Otherwise, It's laid back, nice QOL, mild climate. Socially, not the best place though.
What do you dislike about the people?

Old 03-13-2016, 02:31 PM

391 posts, read 453,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
What do you dislike about the people?
//www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...laky-here.html

Everyone I know that moved here from NE agrees. Doesn't mean u cant find decent people, but this is a common theme here. Seems like once u establish a circle of friends and a support base, its a nice place tho so dont let it discourage ya. Just givin u the full picture.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:55 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Laid back, yes, perhaps. But not laid back in enhancing the economy. The business community is very aggressive when it comes to building new business. This is one difference of Seattle to Portland. In Portland, they are much less aggressive when it comes to building business, they tend to let the employees come to them as opposed to Seattle's heavy recruiting. It is a different mindset, and is one reason why Seattle is the faster growing of these NW cities. (Though Portland actually likes it that way).

Last edited by pnwguy2; 03-13-2016 at 11:41 PM..

Old 03-15-2016, 12:42 PM

415 posts, read 490,715 times
Quote:
The vibe. People are laid back too, maybe too laid back.
Laid-back may be the positive aspect of flakiness that people are complaining about. High-strung, punctual
and reliable or laid-back, live and let live, and flaky - - pick either combination but you may not mix.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:51 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treuphax View Post
Laid-back may be the positive aspect of flakiness that people are complaining about. High-strung, punctual
and reliable or laid-back, live and let live, and flaky - - pick either combination but you may not mix.
I was always under the impression that the notion of west coast people being laid back was primarily a facade. West coast people may be a little less formal in their dress and a little less strict about certain areas (punctuality, etc.) than east coast people but, when push comes to shove, they're just as competitive and willing to slip other peoples' throats to get ahead.

Is this the case in Seattle?

Old 03-15-2016, 06:32 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,342,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I was always under the impression that the notion of west coast people being laid back was primarily a facade. West coast people may be a little less formal in their dress and a little less strict about certain areas (punctuality, etc.) than east coast people but, when push comes to shove, they're just as competitive and willing to slip other peoples' throats to get ahead.

Is this the case in Seattle?
I think so. But in NYC, they'll slit your throat and just leave you there. In Seattle, they'll make sure that your body gets composted. And they'll slit your throat with a hand crafted, artisan blade.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:59 PM

731 posts, read 935,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ira500 View Post
i think so. But in nyc, they'll slit your throat and just leave you there. In seattle, they'll make sure that your body gets composted. And they'll slit your throat with a hand crafted, artisan blade.

lol!!!!!

Old 03-15-2016, 11:57 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I think so. But in NYC, they'll slit your throat and just leave you there. In Seattle, they'll make sure that your body gets composted. And they'll slit your throat with a hand crafted, artisan blade.
And in true Seattle fashion, on the way to the compost bin to dispose of your body a Seattleite would collect the escaping blood in a mason jar, ferment the product, and turn it into a mulch to spread around the local community garden (whilst being careful not to accidentally prick his finger on a used heroine syringe left by the homeless in the garden as he tends to his plot).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area