Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 09:26 AM

17 posts, read 24,313 times

Advertisements

Lol spot on regarding flakiness! Its like people here fake interest because they don't know what else to say to you.

I've met cool people here, don't get me wrong, but I run into this so many times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Just curious where you got these impressions; did you work in just one or two offices for those 3 years? If so, is it fair to judge an entire city by that? I lived in Seattle for over 10 years, and never encountered co-workers who showed interest in my life outside of work. That's considered intrusive. If someone chooses to share something about their kids, or a fun weekend they had, people respond politely, but there's no follow-up, the points aren't pursued. People MYOB at the office, like they should. I never experienced flakiness, either. Someone invites you to a party, you go. What do you mean, it's hard to get up the enthusiasm? Don't you enjoy socializing with friends? I don't get this. And I've never run into the Seattle-Is-Best attitude, either. Maybe a lot of this is a generational thing, or a techie thing?

I'm not saying Seattle is great. I'm saying I've never run into those particular issues. What was glaring about Seattleites to me was their reserved nature, the lack of friendliness, generally. If you made friends in college and stuck with them, that would be your group for the rest of your stay in Seattle, with rare exception. No friendly smiles when passing on the street, no banter while waiting in line at the cashier's, except when foreigners or a visitor or recent transplant from California spoke up, and even then, as often as not, they wouldn't get much of a response.
I agree. Where I'm from saying hello, how are you to people are the street is the norm. So moving here, that was a bit of a shock. I do still say it sometimes, but I'm finding myself slowly morph into the same, because I don't feel like people here want to even be bothered with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 12:09 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundleofpisces View Post
I agree. Where I'm from saying hello, how are you to people are the street is the norm. So moving here, that was a bit of a shock. I do still say it sometimes, but I'm finding myself slowly morph into the same, because I don't feel like people here want to even be bothered with it.
I wish we could collect all the people posting in this sub-forum who miss the friendliness from where they're from, and create our own neighborhood.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:29 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,182 times
Quote:
Lol spot on regarding flakiness! Its like people here fake interest because they don't know what else to say to you.

I've met cool people here, don't get me wrong, but I run into this so many times.

/ stoops down, picks up dubious looking object, proffers it...

Here. You dropped your unfair generality. Thought you might want it...to reuse or whatever.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
/ stoops down, picks up dubious looking object, proffers it...

Here. You dropped your unfair generality. Thought you might want it...to reuse or whatever.
Okay...thanks?

Old 04-24-2016, 01:12 AM

5 posts, read 4,921 times
Quote:
So much this. Before I came here, I'd heard of the Freeze, but I was happy and optimistic and thought I would be fine, that an outgoing personality and a good attitude could overcome it, if it even existed. Three years later, my smile/eye contact/greeting has been rejected so many times that I don't try as much as I used to. If I stayed much longer, I'd give up and become like everyone else. Ugh.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:57 AM

I don't get it. I smile at people all the time and have other friendly interactions. Yes, there is a different culture/vibe than in the South, for example, but there's still lots of friendliness here.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I don't get it. I smile at people all the time and have other friendly interactions. Yes, there is a different culture/vibe than in the South, for example, but there's still lots of friendliness here.
Thats cool but that is what I and others have experienced in general. I never said the most people here go around snapping at me or are blatantly rude, there is just very little "warmth" if that makes sense. So now I keep my headphones in and When I meet people, they can tell Im not from here because of this. I have heard it so many times at work and when I'm out.

Anyway, the point is just because you don't experience or notice it, doesnt make it not true. Some things you just won't relate to and thats not a necessarily bad thing. It is bad when you dismiss their truth, though. Everyone does not have your same experiences...

Old 04-24-2016, 12:49 PM

Yes,I know that different people have different experiences.

I also think it's what you bring to the table.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Yes,I know that different people have different experiences.

I also think it's what you bring to the table.
Okay, fair enough. I am content with what I bring, but if that person isnt receptive...oh well. Their loss!

Old 04-27-2016, 10:50 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,771,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
When I went to the UW, I had to learn to stop looking at people and smiling. I had so many weirdos coming up to me and guys would often take it as an "approach me!" look. Looking people in the eye and smiling felt naive and I learned to stop doing it. I think they call it street smarts. I'm female, so this matters for my safety, as a guy you may not see things that way.

When I'm not on the streets or on the bus, I'm pretty friendly.

Maybe we just have a larger number of creepy people that think they can approach you if you look at them.
It's a regional thing. When I moved to Arizona I found it very odd that people would make eye contact all the time. When I moved back to Minneapolis I had to shift back to the lack of eye contact thing. When I went/moved to NYC for the love of everything DO NOT make eye contact. Seattle I think tends to be like Minneapolis with the Scandinavian and Asian cultural influences which are both light on eye contact (generally speaking).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area