Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 06:49 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times

Advertisements

Our power lines are underground, and while we only had 3 brief momentary outages this storm we have a generator due to the frequency of outages here.
Well worth the $300 or so I spent on the generator to have heat, light, and save the food in the refrigerator and freezer. The problem is that the power to the developments has to come up the hills to the plateau on overhead lines, and there are a lot of trees on Sahalee and the other main roads. Just part of life here, to always have flashlights, a gas fireplace, generator, gas, and batteries on hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 07:10 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Would it were that simple. You have to create secure raceways for the lines, pedestals for the transformers, and every property owner has to pay for the costs of bringing the service lines to the riser, strike and meter, typically a couple thousand or more dollars per case. The utility won't pay for it, homeowners won't pay for it, and everybody has to join or nobody gets the service. And then you have to install permanent signage to make sure some nincompoop doesn't dig a fencepost footing and fry himself in the process.

In addition, the electrical code in many areas requires houses to be brought up to current code if house service is transitioned from overhead to underground lines.

That may not be an issue in newer houses (although the code changes every couple years or so) but it would be a major issue with older ones.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:38 PM

1,155 posts, read 962,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Our power lines are underground, and while we only had 3 brief momentary outages this storm we have a generator due to the frequency of outages here.
Well worth the $300 or so I spent on the generator to have heat, light, and save the food in the refrigerator and freezer. The problem is that the power to the developments has to come up the hills to the plateau on overhead lines, and there are a lot of trees on Sahalee and the other main roads. Just part of life here, to always have flashlights, a gas fireplace, generator, gas, and batteries on hand.
I guess I should look at generators again. To get what my neighbors have, a generator that kicks in when the power goes out and powers everything, I was quoted thousands of dollars, not hundreds. But I think that is installed and integrated into the whole electrical system.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:42 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Cost.

I don't know what it is out there but here in Maryland it's $1000/foot when all the costs are loaded in. That comes from ratepayers.
How can much poorer countries do it? Why is cost always an excuse for the "richest country in the world"?

Old 03-14-2016, 11:15 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,922,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
How can much poorer countries do it? Why is cost always an excuse for the "richest country in the world"?
That's the point: our cost of living is high, which means salaries, machinery, materials, planning - all of those costs are higher than in "much poorer countries".

Old 03-15-2016, 12:46 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,004 times
I don't think it's as expensive if it's done from the start. Mill Creek, for instance, per city code mandates all neighborhoods in the city limits must have underground utilities. But it's a whole 'nother matter when it comes to making the switch from above-ground to buried. Then you're talking about digging up dirt and concrete, removing trees, re-paving, etc. not to mention the inconvenience. The cost and inconvenience isn't worth it to most people if you're talking about losing power for part of a day or a couple days at most per year.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:40 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
I guess I should look at generators again. To get what my neighbors have, a generator that kicks in when the power goes out and powers everything, I was quoted thousands of dollars, not hundreds. But I think that is installed and integrated into the whole electrical system.
I don't think we have enough outages of any length to justify that kind of expense. I take my 6000 watt out next to the garage, run two heavy gauge extension cords, one to the gas furnace for the fan and igniter, the other to a splitter inside that goes to a lamp and either the refrigerator or freezer, alternating every hour or so. With a gas stove there is no oven use but the top can be lit with a match, and the gas grill in the patio can be used as an oven.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:10 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post

Start writing that check.

"Much poorer" countries don't do it.

Tree caused outages are usually caused by a lack of trimming back from the lines. Sometimes that's because it's gotten away from the utility and sometimes because of injunctions filed by various environmental groups.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Most new 'service lines' are placed underground. Above ground is much cheaper for 'transmission lines' (high magnetic field and special shielding / insulation and rocks and water, makes underground 'transmission lines' quite expensive.) Pedastals get hit by cars / trees, so... Power outages are still possible.

Integrated auto-switch genset back-up for main service is very expensive. A simple remote genset running cords is far cheaper. Be sure to NEVER backfeed into your panel / service!!!! Repairman down stream could be killed.

I am in a very rough climate area of WA and have seldom needed a back-up genset during last 25 yrs. I choose to go without the expense /maint, and hassle. My 12k welder is also a genset, but would drink a lot of gas as a backup. I will use my tractor pto if I ever need a genset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area