Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 05:16 PM

32 posts, read 26,797 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am from Mesa, Arizona and have lived there for half my life. Being born in Chicago as a child I have loved the cool weather, snow, clouds, and little sunshine.
There is NO culture here, yes there are strip malls and clubs. All though no actual diversity that is sensed. I love cities that have character, a certain vibe to it. Phoenix is not the place, it is one big giant suburb to me as a whole. -- It seems I am on the negative side. I need a change of scene.

I am currently going to college at the moment. I want to pursue a career in Business. I tend to be realistic when it comes to moving into a different state with out-of-state tuition. Getting a job, or dorms.

My question is.. If I where to transfer to University of Washington. Can a person make it there with a part time job? I would definitely live in a dorm.
I can live under harsh living conditions, As I am not looking for anything glamorous. I am a realist
All I want to do is concentrate my life into getting my degree, taking lots of classes and having a job to support myself. I need to break away from the suburbs of the hot southwest.
My question is: Is Seattle considered an Urban Cosmopolitan City? IS there a scene of any sort?
I know it may not seem wise to primarily move because of the weather. But I hate the warmth. I need rain, clouds, and cold. -- really bad. I need change.

Is Seattle a place that can be realistic for an 18 year old to move? (I would probably be 19 when I move)
can a person survive there in general? I am determined.

I HATE the sun, I really do. I wish I could live somewhere where it would rain constantly (Not heavy rain, but drizzle) I am not big on the extreme weather of Arizona. It gets to 115 for over 3-4 months non-stop. I wish I could be somewhere where it is cloudy and rainy. I love the cold weather, foggy and misty weather. -- Does Seattle have weather like that?

Culture is also important, does Seattle have a sort of cosmopolitan culture in general? -- I am liberal, I consider myself a Secular Humanist and accept religious teachings with respect of others but I am an agnostic, and have a social, yet reserved persona. Public Transportation would be totally fine for me (If Seattle has good public transportation)

Last edited by Qwerty123; 02-10-2008 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: add some more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 07:58 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
Culturally, you would fit in to Seattle just fine. And weather-wise, you'd probably find Seattle ideal - but be careful what you wish for and be ready for long stretches of gray. There is also plenty of diversity in this town.

There are students that work part time and go to the UW. They are usually also supported by scholarships or student loans, but it is possible. It's not that hard to find roommates or to be a roommate, especially around the UW.

I'm not saying that it would be easy, but it is possible.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:24 PM

Thank you for saying it possible!! I am determined and I am not looking for an easy ride. I want to do well. That out-of-state tuition is wayy out there. Do many students go to schools out-of-state and do well there? Is it common in general?

My biggest fear is that I would not be able to afford it, but I can live with 3-4 other people if that is what it takes in dorms. A part time job is of course great.
Is it common in general where students go attend out-of-state universities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
Culturally, you would fit in to Seattle just fine. And weather-wise, you'd probably find Seattle ideal - but be careful what you wish for and be ready for long stretches of gray. There is also plenty of diversity in this town.

There are students that work part time and go to the UW. They are usually also supported by scholarships or student loans, but it is possible. It's not that hard to find roommates or to be a roommate, especially around the UW.

I'm not saying that it would be easy, but it is possible.

Last edited by Qwerty123; 02-11-2008 at 04:10 PM..

Old 02-11-2008, 09:27 PM

59 posts, read 361,853 times
I think Seattle seems like a perfect fit for you. It's generally a very agnostic and liberal area, and has a reputation for reserved personalities.

The out-of-state UW tuition is very expensive, but you could make it working part-time. I know people who have done it from in-state, and they easily made it, so out-of-state should be possible. Public transit isn't the best in Seattle, as it mostly relies on metro buses right now, but it is improving with things being built/planned.

Lastly, if you're pursuing business, Seattle would be great, particularly if you're looking into technology. Good luck.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:29 PM

142 posts, read 557,989 times
Qwery -- There are lots of students living 4 and 5 in the big houses around UW. You will have no trouble finding roommates. You will have to pinch pennies but it is doable. Good Luck!

Old 02-12-2008, 10:12 AM

You guys have given me good motivation to move there!!, I just thought it was something that was out of my reach. All though it is good to know it is possible.
Living in a place like Arizona just drives me crazy. But Seattle seems like I would fit in, your information from everyone is great!

I do not expect an easy ride, I expect to work really hard. I know that moving to places like Manhattan or West Hollywood is kind of.. Unrealistic for a young person because I would spend all of my time working and having no life.
In Seattle as long as I have some time to enjoy myself like scenery or a boat ride it is fine. I am not looking for expensive glamourous things. I would not use my rent money to buy myself something I could not afford.

I am not materialistic in that regard, expensive SUV's, elitist persona's, expensive clothing, material possessions? I am a nice dresser. But I would never use half my rent money to buy those things, especially as a student.

are Seattlites people who like to show off their money?
Like Southern Cali type of thing? Is the culture more..money based, materialistic type of living?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:08 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
Some folks around here like to show off their money, but it isn't nearly as materialistic as Southern CA. There are still some old school residents who remember when Seattle didn't like ostentatious displays of wealth.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:16 PM

9 posts, read 29,531 times
I'm moving from Seattle to Phoenix, I've lived here most of my life and just can't take it anymore. If you are looking for cool, cloudy weather then this might be the the place for you. Yes, we have lots of fog, mist and drizzle. Its a marine climit. It never gets HOT in the summer, rarly over 90. Do you like crowds? I hope so, the University district is one of the most crowded areas in the city. Don't plan on owning a car, parking is almost impossible. Everything you need should be within walking distance, or a short bus ride. This city is very condenced compared to the Phoenix area.
There is culture everywhere here, you should be able to find any "scene" you want. Just be carfull, like any big city we have our crime issues. Most of problems are in the south end.
Making it here on a part-time job is going to tough, unless your dorm is rent free. I think minimum wage is about $7.25hr. Not sure what kind of job you would be looking for but that would be the lowest.
I'm sure you will do fine here, good luck!

Old 02-12-2008, 03:01 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
To avoid the out of state tuition, don't attend for a year, and then you will have Washington residency. When you do start attending, you can drop whatever job you've been working at and get a financial aid package, which normally includes a part-time job on campus if you want it. That's what I did, and the job was in the field I was studying.

Seattle is very cosmopolitan and has lots of different scenes, in addtion to having more character than Phoenix or most other West Coast cities, with the possible exceptions of San Francisco and Portland.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:54 PM
jpk

531 posts, read 1,862,964 times
Dude, you sound like a lost son of Seattle. No one here is into big displays of wealth. In case you didn't know, the richest people in the country live in Seattle and no one cares (Gates, Allen, Ballmer, Bezos, Schultz). It's the anti-SoCal in every way, including the weather.

Dude, every college student is broke and has no money. That's the definition of being unemployed and going to college. You will be fine. Just don't run up massive credit card bills and live simply for four years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area