Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 04:10 PM

5 posts, read 3,070 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I need advice on an issue. I am currently a junior in college and will have the upcoming summer off. I am interested in spending the summer in Seattle and working there. Maybe get a part time waitressing job to save some money. I currently live in a different state but want to be in Seattle during the summer to get a change of scenery. My aunt lives in Seattle so I have a place to stay while I am there.

The thing I am worried about is getting a job. Will I be able to work in a different state if my address is out of state? Has anyone experienced this? I appreciate any response, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 04:22 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Call me silly, but use your aunt's address. I would have at your age. You are probably going to have to be here to hired anyway, especially as a waiter. I did the same thing when I was your age: went up the restaurants, asked for the manager and was relentless until I got a job.

Old 03-24-2016, 10:08 AM

315 posts, read 255,953 times
If you want to work in a restaurant, don't tell them you're only looking for summer work. Get the job, then put in your two weeks at the end of the summer. They won't hire you if they know you'll just be temporary.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:02 PM

Thanks for the responses. I'm not going to mention that I'm just there for the summer. The only thing I'm worried about is doing my taxes since the job is out of state. Do you know if my W2 form has to have my permanent address on it or my temporary address? I just need clarity on this issue.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:19 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
The key to good tips: complimentary after-dinner mints. Some restaurants provide those in the supply room. If the employer you end up with doesn't have them, buy your own. That small investment will pay off royally, trust me. And good luck!

Old 03-24-2016, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the tip!

Old 03-24-2016, 02:47 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Yeah, lie your ass off. All's fair in love, war, and job interviews. Get a cellphone with a Seattle area-code and use it and your aunt's address in your resume and other communication. Create a credible cover story to explain your re-location - working full-time for a year until you can get in-state tuition, then part-time after that. Say you'll be applying to UW, UW-Bothell, and Bellevue College - be ready to cite programs and degrees you're interested in.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:55 PM

I am just going to tell them that I moved there recently. I plan on using my aunt's address on the resume but will I still get my W2 sent to my permanent address if I'm using hers? I'm a little worried about my taxes. I don't mean to come off dumb but I've never been in this situation before and I just want to be careful.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:55 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgallo20 View Post
I am just going to tell them that I moved there recently. I plan on using my aunt's address on the resume but will I still get my W2 sent to my permanent address if I'm using hers? I'm a little worried about my taxes. I don't mean to come off dumb but I've never been in this situation before and I just want to be careful.
Having a phone number with a different area code would not necessarily raise any hackles. That's pretty common out here.

I concur on using your aunt's address on the resume.

Make sure to contact the Human Resources department with a change of address when you quit the job (which is not that big of a deal, there are many seasonal job opportunities in Seattle) so that you can get your W2.

FYI, WA does not have an income tax so while the money you make in WA would contribute to the overall amount that you report to the federal government, you will not have to do "state tax" forms in WA because there is no income tax. So, when you do your taxes next year, you will do the state form for the state where you live, and you will do the federal form and your WA wages will get reported in the federal form.

There are several seasonal job sectors in Seattle; everything from the cruise industry to downtown restaurants to hotels (and, of course, the sports industry) has a highly seasonal component and those groups tend to start looking for applicants in late April or May. The unemployment rate in King County is very low -- about 5% -- and unemployment in Seattle is even lower than that. For that reason, you should have no difficulty finding work.

I can even point you in a direction or two when you are ready!

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:09 AM

I appreciate your response to my post. It clarified some things for me and alleviated stress.

Do you have any recommendations on where to apply?

I was thinking of working as a server in a busy restaurant since I have experience and I want to be in a social environment. I hear that neighborhoods like Capitol Hill, Ballard, and Belmont are lively. Should I be looking in those areas?

I am open to other job options as well. Do you mind going more into detail about the seasonal job sectors in the area? I'll probably look into those as well.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area