Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 11:58 PM

5 posts, read 4,466 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I have read a few threads with regards to families moving to the area but I didn't feel like they quite addressed the situation we are currently facing.

Presently, we live in Slidell, LA and we have not been happy hear for some time. My husband is from Louisiana but I am a California transplant [been here a bit more than 10 years]. We have 2 sons, ages 6 and 7.

My husband is an electrician's apprentice with the IBEW and will be finished with his classroom portion within the next 3 weeks. He's the top of his class and will just need to finish his remaining OTJ hours to be a fully-licensed electrician. We've been biding our time here while he finished the school portion.

Anyway, one of his fellow classmates moved to the area about a year ago and has convinced my husband he should do so as well. Starting off his wages will be nearly double what they presently are and his pension and other benefits are far better than here. I know that the cost of living discrepancy is a big deal but with his wages doubled, we should be on a reasonably acheivable budget.

At any rate, we are trying to figure out what areas would be best for relocating our family. We'd like to have reasonable housing prices [we'll probably rent at least a year before committing to purchase anything], not too far from the city but not too close as we both prefer have hobbies that are focused outdoors, finally, we are looking for the best schools that we can find and a family oriented area.

Can anyone recommend any specific suburbs/areas that seem like they might suit our situation. We're used to constant rain, though I'll be pleased to leave the swamps of the deep south considering I'm extraordinarily prone to heat exhaustion and I have been an avid snowboarder for over 20 years [managed to snowboard in New Orleans once!]

We're very easygoing, don't need much to amuse us, basically just want something that's relatively commutable, affordable and family friendly.

Your advice is much appreciated, in advance.

bayoublues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 12:52 AM

977 posts, read 1,011,120 times
Bruien around the downtown area along the water are nice, somewhat afforable. BUT schools suck so your kids would need to go to private schools. Maybe issauquah would be a good fit. I think you need to tell us what your budget is to actually be able to help you.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:39 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Maple Valley.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:58 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoublues View Post
Hi there! I have read a few threads with regards to families moving to the area but I didn't feel like they quite addressed the situation we are currently facing.

Presently, we live in Slidell, LA and we have not been happy hear for some time. My husband is from Louisiana but I am a California transplant [been here a bit more than 10 years]. We have 2 sons, ages 6 and 7.

My husband is an electrician's apprentice with the IBEW and will be finished with his classroom portion within the next 3 weeks. He's the top of his class and will just need to finish his remaining OTJ hours to be a fully-licensed electrician. We've been biding our time here while he finished the school portion.

Anyway, one of his fellow classmates moved to the area about a year ago and has convinced my husband he should do so as well. Starting off his wages will be nearly double what they presently are and his pension and other benefits are far better than here. I know that the cost of living discrepancy is a big deal but with his wages doubled, we should be on a reasonably acheivable budget.

At any rate, we are trying to figure out what areas would be best for relocating our family. We'd like to have reasonable housing prices [we'll probably rent at least a year before committing to purchase anything], not too far from the city but not too close as we both prefer have hobbies that are focused outdoors, finally, we are looking for the best schools that we can find and a family oriented area.

Can anyone recommend any specific suburbs/areas that seem like they might suit our situation. We're used to constant rain, though I'll be pleased to leave the swamps of the deep south considering I'm extraordinarily prone to heat exhaustion and I have been an avid snowboarder for over 20 years [managed to snowboard in New Orleans once!]

We're very easygoing, don't need much to amuse us, basically just want something that's relatively commutable, affordable and family friendly.

Your advice is much appreciated, in advance.

bayoublues
My recommendation since you are from the south is to look at Federal Way or Puyallup. Both larger cities for the area but maintain somewhat of a bedroom feel. Federal Way is a commuter city that is in the transition of trying to build its own identity. Diverse population, access to lots of parks, lakes, Puget Sound, Boardwalks and beachfronts. Schools are Okay, not gonna knock your socks off but if you maintain a close presence is your child's academic career then they will do just fine and make lots of great friends. Federal Way is about 100,000 people so as you can imagine not every area in the city will be safe. rule of thumb is the close you get towards to Puget Sound that safer the community but most communities will be safe as long as they aren't on Pac-Highway (Highway 99). Large community center, laser tag, a few movie theaters, a small-ish mall with a larger mall only 10 minutes from it. I would say you would much enjoy it. It is also a very diverse community, large selection of different asian restaurants.

Puyallup includes much of the same as Federal Way, with larger mall. Its further inland so it has great access to Mt. Rainier, hiking, trails, river, and fishing. Puyallup is alittle smaller then Federal Way but is more of an independent city with a nice small downtown. Schools area Fair in Puyallup much of the same as Federal Way. You can get more of a country vibe in Puyallup while Federal Way is alot more Urban (proximity to Seattle). Starter Homes is both communities and relatively inexpensive compared to other communities.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:43 AM

Excellent feedback so far from everyone.

I don't know the exact budget at the moment but I know our income will be about doiuble what it is here [$38K to around $70k+ or $35/hr ish].

The schools have to be better than they are here and I grew up in California when we were only ranked above Louisiana and Mississippi and scored 99th percentile plus in most testing-- my 7 year old is the same-- 6 year old is just a kindergartener so not sure yet but we are very active with their education.

I'm going to show all of this to the husband and get feedback and will respond!

Thank you to everyone.

bayoublues
[hopin' to be outta this place before hurricane season!]

Old 03-28-2016, 01:06 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,460,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoublues View Post
Excellent feedback so far from everyone.

I don't know the exact budget at the moment but I know our income will be about doiuble what it is here [$38K to around $70k+ or $35/hr ish].

The schools have to be better than they are here and I grew up in California when we were only ranked above Louisiana and Mississippi and scored 99th percentile plus in most testing-- my 7 year old is the same-- 6 year old is just a kindergartener so not sure yet but we are very active with their education.

I'm going to show all of this to the husband and get feedback and will respond!

Thank you to everyone.

bayoublues
[hopin' to be outta this place before hurricane season!]
Yeah I would definitely look south of Seattle with that budget. The eastside of Seattle would be a stretch with that income. You would definitely be content down South of Seattle closer to Tacoma.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:25 PM

Thank you. Once my husband finishes his hours to be a journeyman he'll be at about $50/hr. He is expected to become a foreman almost immediately so will be closer to $60/hr at that point but we like to be pretty reserved when spending on rent just because we like to stockpile savings. I think during that first 18 months or so we'll be able to scope out the areas we're most interested in when we finally are ready to buy. I also do website design from home and am a freelance writer but we don't really like to rely on that income. I also run an at home daycare but I'm not sure if I will continue that when we relocate.

My husband will be working out of both the local 46 and 76 which cover both Seattle and Tacoma; his current commute is 2 hours each way so he's pretty good about dealing with the commuting aspect.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:37 PM

I just wanted to add that we aren't unaccustomed to paying exorbitant rent prices since we met both living on the water in Newport Beach, CA.

I also have a degree from USC [California] in International Relations so I'm hoping to reenter the [out of home] workforce when our boys are just a little older. I think there will be a lot more opportunity in this region than where we are presently.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:53 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
It's a great area, but do look at the prices here and make sure you're comfortable with them before making the commitment. Rent is going to eat up a lot of your income, especially if you choose some place like Issaquah over south sound. Home prices are mind-boggling now and inventory remains low and competitive... the more you can gather in the way of down payment, the better... I would personally look at areas around Tacoma more.. maybe the Tahoma school district. Maple Valley is thought of as more affordable for families anyway.... up north, you have shoreline, Edmonds, Bothell.. not sure about the schools in Monroe, but I recently saw an awesome single family house there for a lot less than what my Issaquah condo would go for!

The great thing about this area and for families on a budget is the Buy Nothing Project on facebook. Maybe you have one in your community? It started in Bainbridge Island and I know lots of families here in Issaquah that get tremendous use out of it... it can make all the difference between getting by, getting ahead and not.. I've used it myself!

I love it here. I would do it on $70k, but probably not much less. You don't want to get to a point where the stress outweighs all the wonderful free things here. On the other hand, some people just don't worry about that much about retirement, college funds and financial security with quite the same intensity as I do

Good luck!

Old 03-29-2016, 03:22 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,363,780 times
The biggest issue will be getting through that first 18 months without burning through ALL of your savings. If you have little savings, then you'll have to hit the ground running - you'll need to keep your housing costs as low as possible. To do that, get outside the Seattle commute bubble. I'd be looking in the Tacoma area. I'd just look for a decent elementary (look below the Greatschools rating, which is based here entirely based on test scores) - you'll probably be moving in a year to a year and a half, anyway. If the kids can bunk up, all the better. Go cheap, if you don't want to weep.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 03-29-2016 at 03:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area