Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2016, 03:08 PM

6 posts, read 4,278 times

Advertisements

Daughter was accepted into seattle university going out on friday to take a look.wanted an honest opinion about the area of the school. is it safe, or sketchy? crime rate in that area? any info would be helpful. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 04:47 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,461,335 times
Seattle U is smack in the middle of Capitol Hill. Though I wouldn't say it is a dangerous area, it is very urban and there are alot of people always around. During the day your daughter should be fine, and nigh I would make sure she talks precaution, maybe even have some pepper spray on her just to be safe. But usually there are alot of people out at night in this area so I doubt anything would happen. The campus though is very safe.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:59 PM

would capital hill be considered a desired place to live?

Old 03-29-2016, 07:01 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
There are different parts of Capitol Hill, in general it's pretty safe, somewhat rowdy in the Pike/Pine area, especially on weekends.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:33 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,390 times
Quote:
would capital hill be considered a desired place to live?

Yes. Stay a bit to the north of Pine, south of Aloha, a block or two to either side of Broadway, and it'll be much quieter. Capitol Hill is a dense, walkable neighborhood with great transit, lots of places to eat and shop (and I mean things like groceries, not just retail), and a really good location for getting to the rest of Seattle. The further north and east you go - the quieter things get. The area around 15th is really charming, and still would be an easy walk to school.

This is one of the few neighborhoods where it's feasible to live without a car and not have it be a major inconvenience.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:06 PM

now that I know the area of the college is somewhat safe. What is the rep with the locals of Seattle University?

Old 03-30-2016, 11:01 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpfindingacollege View Post
now that I know the area of the college is somewhat safe. What is the rep with the locals of Seattle University?
It's pretty well regarded but maintains a fairly low profile. Graduates of its Law and Nursing schools are very highly sought after; I imagine other disciplines are well represented. Of course being in the same city as the University of Washington, Seattle U. is not in the headlines very much. I'd imagine it's on a par with other Jesuit universities academically, i.e. pretty good. I'd also assume there's a pretty good student to teacher ratio.

My wife taught some classes there to kids in the business program; a lot of overseas students made for interesting discussions.

Note the location is really First Hill rather than Capitol Hill (the two sort of merge a block or two north of Seattle U.) and is very close, in fact surrounded to a degree, by hospitals and health facilities. But there's lots of shopping (supermarkets etc.) close by, and the new First Hill streetcar goes right by the main entrance, so getting up to the Broadway shopping area or downtown is very easy.

Seattle Streetcar

Old 03-30-2016, 11:18 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
Although Seattle University isn't as widely known as the UW, it is well-regarded and ranked a top regional university in the west. Regional University West | Rankings | Data | US News

We are just over a mile south and east from Seattle University, in the Squire Park neighborhood of the Central District. The area around campus proper is lively and urban with multiple transit options, safe with the usual city precautions. Congratulations, and good luck on the college decision!

Old 03-30-2016, 12:23 PM

this is all very positive feedback. makes me feel a little better about the area. thank you!!!

Old 03-30-2016, 02:19 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Yeah, on the north edge of First Hill more than Capitol Hill. Can walk to Downtown or to the Capitol Hill Light Rail Station from there. There is a streetcar that runs on Broadway connecting Pioneer Square/International District/Little Saigon, Seattle U/First Hill, and the Capitol Hill Station. Light rail serves Sea-Tac Airport, Columbia City, Downtown Seattle, Capitol Hill, and the University of Washington.

The area around Seattle U is pretty safe. Lots of students about day and night. Busy urban area, with lots of shops, cafes, bars, etc. For a less busy and safe area, look between 13th and 19th on Capitol Hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area