Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 09:13 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times

Advertisements

There's a new apartment right by the Columbia City Link Light Rail station that I'm considering. I want to know: what is the vibe like at Alaska St & Rainier Ave? I currently live in Capitol Hill, but for the price I'm paying I can live in a much larger and newer place in Columbia City. I've been to Columbia City a couple times, but I'd like to get all the insider information and opinions about the neighborhood by some Columbia City locals. Any incidents of crime? Or does the perceived safety level seem fairly similar to Cap Hill?

Please pass along all judgments my way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 06:06 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,882,419 times
I would living there is very similar to Capitol Hill. Perhaps join the Columbia City FB group and ask people who actually live there.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:46 PM

337 posts, read 494,565 times
I just moved out of that general area, what I can say is that you'll be just fine in Columbia City. Crime has been reduced in that small area, it's probably better than Capitol Hill in that regard. It's also a nice, fun place to be.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:26 AM

Thanks for the feedback, all! Polymorphist, I'm glad to hear that. I'm very excited about the move. It's all a matter of convincing my girlfriend because her main concern is her commute to/from work (she works in Green Lake). I'll be able to use the light rail for my transportation which is awesome.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Thanks for the feedback, all! Polymorphist, I'm glad to hear that. I'm very excited about the move. It's all a matter of convincing my girlfriend because her main concern is her commute to/from work (she works in Green Lake). I'll be able to use the light rail for my transportation which is awesome.
Your girlfriend could right light rail with you downtown, then transfer to a bus to green lake - guessing an hour total time.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobester View Post
Your girlfriend could right light rail with you downtown, then transfer to a bus to green lake - guessing an hour total time.
She's a nanny and so she requires a car for work. We're going to test out what her commute will look like later tonight (down Aurora Ave and then south on the Alaskan Way Viaduct). Hopefully traffic will be on my side today...

Old 04-13-2016, 12:00 PM

150 posts, read 223,196 times
Quote:
There's a new apartment right by the Columbia City Link Light Rail station that I'm considering. I want to know: what is the vibe like at Alaska St & Rainier Ave? I currently live in Capitol Hill, but for the price I'm paying I can live in a much larger and newer place in Columbia City. I've been to Columbia City a couple times, but I'd like to get all the insider information and opinions about the neighborhood by some Columbia City locals. Any incidents of crime? Or does the perceived safety level seem fairly similar to Cap Hill?

Please pass along all judgments my way!
That's the safest part of the Rainier Valley - the Rainier Valley has some parts that are a little dangerous, but Columbia city is generally quite safe. Like anywhere, it's always good to be aware of your surroundings and whats happening around.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:31 PM

143 posts, read 334,158 times
I love how certain people want to save money so they move to a diverse, or lower income area and ask if a neighborhood is safe. What if I said its not safe? What if I said you might be mugged, or robbed, or otherwise. Well, I bet some of the past inhabitants of that neighborhood would appreciate me saying that if that would have kept them in their neighborhood longer before people like you made it unaffordable for them. Don't worry, if its not safe now, when all your friends move in it will be.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:05 PM

Well we made our decision and decided to move to Columbia City! What really sealed the deal is that for roughly what I'm currently paying in Capitol Hill for an old studio apartment, I'll get a larger, brand new, modern apartment with a ton of great community amenities. I'll be right by the main strip of nice restaurants/stores along Rainier Ave, and most importantly will be right by the Link light rail station.

(I'm mostly excited about the Link light rail becoming my primary form of transportation from now on!)

Old 04-16-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Well we made our decision and decided to move to Columbia City! What really sealed the deal is that for roughly what I'm currently paying in Capitol Hill for an old studio apartment, I'll get a larger, brand new, modern apartment with a ton of great community amenities. I'll be right by the main strip of nice restaurants/stores along Rainier Ave, and most importantly will be right by the Link light rail station.

(I'm mostly excited about the Link light rail becoming my primary form of transportation from now on!)
Angeline?

Hidden gems - make sure you get down to the south end of Columbia City to a non-descript strip mall. Full-Tilt Ice Cream, the Hummingbird Saloon and Watercress Bistro. And join the Columbia City Facebook group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area