Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 04:35 AM

4 posts, read 15,920 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm retiring from the Air Force and I just got hired to work at Boeing (Kent, WA). I'll be moving to Seattle in January. I have a wife and 3 sons, ages 3, 9, and 13 years old. I'm looking to rent initially until I'm established in my new job and decide if living in Seattle long term is something I want to do. Seattle sounds like an ideal place to live since my wife is Japanese (I'm black) and it's just 9 hrs flight time from Japan. (I'm from St. Louis). What are decent places to live (with decent schools, relatively low crime rate, etc) that are within 30-45 minutes driving distance from Boeing? Thanks, I'd really appreciate anyone's advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2006, 03:39 PM

454 posts, read 905,878 times
Farther east from Renton/Kent you will find the houses get nicer, and the land is less populated.

Use the roadway system to help you out. Hwy 167 runs north and south but that runs you through the valley, so from there you have to venture east or west, and depending on where your home is, the commute can easily get longer than you expect. You can also look at the Renton Maple valley hwy which takes you east. and drops you toward the Hwy 18 area. This may be a good place to start.

Can't help with schools because I don't live there.

You also need to consider what your housing budget will be as to where you can afford to live.

Are you going to be visiting the area prior to moving? If so you will get a better idea if you hook up with your realtor for a tour of the area.

Thank you for your service to our country!

The Dufferz

Old 11-23-2006, 05:39 PM

753 posts, read 758,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezmj44 View Post
Hi,

I'm retiring from the Air Force and I just got hired to work at Boeing (Kent, WA). I'll be moving to Seattle in January. I have a wife and 3 sons, ages 3, 9, and 13 years old. I'm looking to rent initially until I'm established in my new job and decide if living in Seattle long term is something I want to do. Seattle sounds like an ideal place to live since my wife is Japanese (I'm black) and it's just 9 hrs flight time from Japan. (I'm from St. Louis). What are decent places to live (with decent schools, relatively low crime rate, etc) that are within 30-45 minutes driving distance from Boeing? Thanks, I'd really appreciate anyone's advice.
Hi there,

I have an uncle who's been at Boeing for years. He started in Renton but when he had kids he moved to Gig Harbor for the schools. He says the commute is more of a pain (owing not a little to the Narrows Bridge), but the extra drive is worth it for the schools.

Even with the bridge crossing, Gig Harbor is probably still within your driving requirements and it is a really awesome little town.
http://www.gigharbor.com/

Old 11-24-2006, 12:20 AM

454 posts, read 905,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
Hi there,

I have an uncle who's been at Boeing for years. He started in Renton but when he had kids he moved to Gig Harbor for the schools. He says the commute is more of a pain (owing not a little to the Narrows Bridge), but the extra drive is worth it for the schools.

Even with the bridge crossing, Gig Harbor is probably still within your driving requirements and it is a really awesome little town.
http://www.gigharbor.com/
That distance and the traffic congestion makes this a stretch to make it in 45 minutes but is possible. The new narrows bridge will "soon" be done and the $3.00 toll will make living over there a bunch more expensive when that happens.

Hey, FFHD, What is your connection to Washington, being that you show yourself living in Scotland? Are you a perm. Scot now, or are you away just for a spell? I have a niece going to school over there and she really likes it.

Old 11-24-2006, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dufferz View Post
That distance and the traffic congestion makes this a stretch to make it in 45 minutes but is possible. The new narrows bridge will "soon" be done and the $3.00 toll will make living over there a bunch more expensive when that happens.

Hey, FFHD, What is your connection to Washington, being that you show yourself living in Scotland? Are you a perm. Scot now, or are you away just for a spell? I have a niece going to school over there and she really likes it.
Hi,

'Bout time they extended the Narrows Bridge. They've been talking about it for quite a spell.

Duff, I'm originally from Seattle. Lived in Ballard most of my life. Came to Scotland for a job and have settled here quite happily. Been here now, oh 7 years almost.

I do miss being able to follow the Seahawks though.

Old 11-24-2006, 08:06 PM

Default Moving to Seattle

Thanks,

I appreciate both of your replies and inputs. This website looked promising (places to live) http://www.crestonpoint.com/creston-point-map-and-directions.htm (broken link)

Is this in/near Renton? In other forums regarding Seattle, I read that the following areas should be avoided: Burien, Des Moines, Federal Way, Kent, Tacoma, Tukwila, and Renton. So is creston point a housing area to be avoided? I'm hoping to visit the area before January but I'm not sure if I can do that right now. I've read that Issaquah and Sammamish are decent areas along with Bellevue of course. Where is Issaquah and Sammamish in relation to Kent? I'm going to grab a map of Seattle and start examining it. Thanks!

Old 11-26-2006, 05:54 PM

358 posts, read 1,056,777 times
Creston Point is in Renton, maybe Skyway area, which is surrounded by Federal Way, Kent, and Des Moines. I personally do not like the area.

Sammamish and Issaquah is about 20 miles NE of Kent.

Many people deal with the commute to live in nicer areas with better schools. So, living in Bellevue or Sammamish and commuting to Kent or Seattle can be done. I would like to warn you that Seatle Public Schools is currently deciding on which schools they need to close down because of a budget shortfall. On the other hand, three of Bellevue's high schools were recently listed on Newsweeks 100 Best High Schools in the country. Overall, the quality of life is better on the 'Eastside'.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:28 PM

Default Where to live in Seattle

Thanks,

Yeah, unfortunately, I'm not reading (at least) too many good things about living near Kent. I'll check out places to live in Bellevue, Issaquah, or Sammamish unless someone can convince me otherwise. Traffic here in Honolulu is terrible also so at least I'm used to that. I appreciate your input.

Old 11-26-2006, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezmj44 View Post
Thanks,

Yeah, unfortunately, I'm not reading (at least) too many good things about living near Kent. I'll check out places to live in Bellevue, Issaquah, or Sammamish unless someone can convince me otherwise. Traffic here in Honolulu is terrible also so at least I'm used to that. I appreciate your input.
Yeah, unfortunately Kent isn't that great. Bellevue, Issaquah & Sammamish are good. Very suburban, but good if you're after schools, etc.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:42 AM

Default Moving to Seattle

Thanks,

Yes, with 3 children, I'm definitely concerned about the quality of the school districts. I appreciate your advice.

"Newly Retired Air Force Veteran"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area