Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 03:45 PM

361 posts, read 398,356 times

Advertisements

Hello peeps. I am moving to the Seattle area from Hawaii. I have shipped most of my belongings and automobile, so that's not a concern.

I will be moving to the South Hill/Puyallup area, which is actually not Seattle (more towards Tacoma). How is driving condition in that area?

Is the weather in southern Pudget Sound area more warm during the summer time than the downtown Seattle area?

I also am happy to living down there as the rent is way cheaper than in downtown Seattle, or the surrounding Seattle suburbs.

What kind of fun activities are there to do in the Seattle area? I heard there is the Washington State fair that's coming up in mid-September.

A lot of you are thinking that winter weather in Seattle will affect me, because I'm from Hawaii. However, I have worked and lived in Chicago before. I'm guessing that the general midwest winters are much worse than winter in the Seattle area? Does it snow more in South Hill since it's more inland compared to the downtown Seattle area?

Another question, for those of you in the military, is are there base exchanges or commissary stores in Ft. Lewis or McChord AFB? I would like to go shopping and purchase some household goods to help me settle moving in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 05:37 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Weather in Puyallup and Seattle is pretty much the same. Temperate, not too cold, not to hot. More cloudy and dark, than wet, in the winter, beautiful in the summer.

Traffic is bad everywhere.

Lots more to do than just the State Fair: SEATTLE events, fairs, festivals - May 2016

There are commissaries at both Fort Lewis and McChord: https://www.commissaries.com/store_locator.cfm

Old 05-07-2016, 05:45 PM

17 posts, read 15,547 times
My daughter just moved to Puyallup/South Hill. Yes, the traffic along Meridian (where all the shopping is) is kind of miserable, but I found ways around it. The freeways are a mess, it's true. It took me 35 minutes to get from Puyallup to the airport to fly home, and that as on a Sunday mid-day. The area isn't my cup of tea, but for her, it absolutely is. I do love seeing Mt. Rainier all the time (I spent my summers near there) and there are nice parks close by for the toddler, Bonney Lake is beautiful, and they are having fun exploring.

She and her husband and three-year-old (and baby coming in June) bought a new home there and they love it. Her husband works in downtown Seattle and takes the train. The scheduled times of the train seem odd to me, but they are doing okay with it. They came from south San Jose, CA, and the traffic there was so horrendous and they are quite used to sitting on freeways for long periods of time. Because they live there now and the housing is so much cheaper, my daughter can be a stay at home mom for awhile before she takes up her teaching career again. Even though we miss each other terribly, I can see that it was a good move for them. And because I'm a teacher, too, I have large chunks of time throughout the year to visit.

Their weather has been nicer so far (they moved in April) than ours here in Half Moon Bay, CA. So funny. I remember those long dreary summers up there so well, although I was a kid and it didn't bother me overly much.

Old 05-07-2016, 10:15 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Hey brah, With military ID, you should have no problem shopping on base. Lots of military people shop at Costco though, funny. If you need a taste of home, Da Tiki Hut is reasonably legit: http://www.menupix.com/menudirectory...p?id=380255585

Old 05-08-2016, 10:27 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,898 times
Yah, I remember the Px and commissary as being good. But as homes says, you may want to check out Costco. Also Grocery Outlet is a fabulous quirky chain of heavily discounted foods and household items and toiletries, vitamins, etc. They're all over.

BigLots is a good discount store for household stuff, too.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:45 AM

173 posts, read 181,998 times
Traffic in seattle and surrounding metro areas is pretty bad. Especially around this time it gets worse we have two drive settlings rain and construction.

Regarding weather the most snow we have had in 37 years was 23 inches. We are lucky to see even a few inches consecutively that last more than a day. It is typical to have it snow maybe 1/2 inch and in 4 hours be completely melted - this only happens a few days in the winter. I think last year we had 2 days, not consecutive. But if the snow sticks you can bet we don't have any idea how to drive in it. We have an ok road crew for snow. People will say it sucks, which compared to Chicago, yes it does. But when you don't need them for years at a time I'm glad we don't spend so much taxes for a service rarely used. If it does stick around and get over a few inches things close. Schools have closed or had late start for 1/2 in. that melted by 10AM anyway.

As far a sun goes we really do have warm summers and they are getting hotter. Several days (5-10 or so) a year will reach +100, pretty typical to be in the 70's-80's July/Aug. Even with our reputation, in the summer we can go weeks without rain! A few days might be scattered with drizzle 60's, most appreciate it though because by the time in rains in the summer many lawns have died and wild fires have begun, so many view it as positive.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:26 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
Hello peeps. I am moving to the Seattle area from Hawaii. I have shipped most of my belongings and automobile, so that's not a concern.

I will be moving to the South Hill/Puyallup area, which is actually not Seattle (more towards Tacoma). How is driving condition in that area?

Is the weather in southern Pudget Sound area more warm during the summer time than the downtown Seattle area?

I also am happy to living down there as the rent is way cheaper than in downtown Seattle, or the surrounding Seattle suburbs.

What kind of fun activities are there to do in the Seattle area? I heard there is the Washington State fair that's coming up in mid-September.

A lot of you are thinking that winter weather in Seattle will affect me, because I'm from Hawaii. However, I have worked and lived in Chicago before. I'm guessing that the general midwest winters are much worse than winter in the Seattle area? Does it snow more in South Hill since it's more inland compared to the downtown Seattle area?

Another question, for those of you in the military, is are there base exchanges or commissary stores in Ft. Lewis or McChord AFB? I would like to go shopping and purchase some household goods to help me settle moving in.
Why would you want to leave paradise and move to a gloomy, dismal place like Seattle?

Old 05-11-2016, 08:05 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,680 times
Quote:
Why would you want to leave paradise and move to a gloomy, dismal place like Seattle?
I moved up a few years ago from Hawai'i and much, much, much prefer the weather/climate here (as do my three kids). I could do without the 80 degree weather here, though.

I've been surprised at the decent little taste of Hawai'i in unexpected places (malls, food trucks, etc.). Haven't been to Da Tiki Hut yet. My husband has enjoyed this place. It's in Olympia, further south.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:01 AM

759 posts, read 637,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Could be worse.

Move to a hot humid southern state... Texas... Georgia... Florida.

Spend a summer there... (April - October)

Pay your ridiculous utility bill from your A/C running 24 hours a day

Get eaten alive by bugs

Sweat

Sweat some more

Take a shower then walk outside and start sweating again

.... then come back to Seattle and say "man... it's really awesome here."

P.S.

I lived on Oahu from 1990-1993. I went to Leilehua High in Wahiawa... Hawaii is great for a vacation. Living there? No thanks.

Give me the PNW.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:32 AM

361 posts, read 398,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Hey brah, With military ID, you should have no problem shopping on base. Lots of military people shop at Costco though, funny. If you need a taste of home, Da Tiki Hut is reasonably legit: Restaurant Menu | MenuPix
Hey braddah! Are you from Hawaii? I actually went shopping at both of the base exchanges and commissaries last week when my parents were here, since my parents can sponsor me into the base. Nice commissaries. But I prefer to shop at the Ft Lewis commissary and PX, compared to the McChord stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area