Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 12:06 PM

283 posts, read 259,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
Why does everyone want to come here vs Portland or anywhere else? I guess what is so special about here?
The job market and natural surroundings are some of the best in the country... everything else ranks from "lousy" to "meh" though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 01:09 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Seattle has always been a boom-and-bust town. This is just the latest boom. The busts send many of the newcomers fleeing back where they're from or onto the next "hot" town, but a remainder stay and stick.

Old 05-16-2016, 01:17 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,898 times
So guess it's not "too fishy".

Old 05-16-2016, 04:55 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Been here 3 years, and we're trying to get out. Between the Traffic, cost of living and lousy weather, we're done.

Seattle is a big city with lots of white people (for now). I see the attraction to it for some, but it's not worth it too me. I'm not racist, so I would rather live with blacks or Latinos and live like a king. I could live in a 4000 sq-ft home in a gated community for what we pay for an older home half that size in a decent neighborhood here. People say the outdoors are incredible up her, but the weather is so lousy, you can only enjoy it for a few months out of the year. Yea, it's on the water, but the water is cold with no beaches or decent fishing.

I'm trying to transfer my job back to San Antonio. I miss the light traffic, nice weather, and friendly people. I miss driving to a time share a couple hours away on the beach for the weekend. This place is just depressing to me, and it's crawling with butthead hipsters that can't mind their own business. It's like Austin on steroids.
We moved from Texas to the PNW and I understand the sentiment as well. We gave thought to returning to Texas but I just hate the humidity and bugs, and you do have an attitude to deal with in Texas too...just different than Seattle.

About that 4000 sq-ft home, get ready to pay some serious property tax, insurance, and summer electricity bills...when you factor in everything, it's not really that more expensive imo to live in Seattle than a large city in Texas....granted San Antone is probably the cheapest.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:52 PM

323 posts, read 448,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post

Personally, I'm just waiting for the trifecta: a Boeing/Microsoft/Amazon BUST...
I'm fine with Bill Boeing coming here from Michigan. We needed his company to grow into a city big enough for major league teams. The population that Microsoft and Amazon brought Seattle is just in the way. I wish Bill Gates and Paul Allen grew up somewhere else and Jeff Bezos had picked a different state.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:12 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,007,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
We moved from Texas to the PNW and I understand the sentiment as well. We gave thought to returning to Texas but I just hate the humidity and bugs, and you do have an attitude to deal with in Texas too...just different than Seattle.

About that 4000 sq-ft home, get ready to pay some serious property tax, insurance, and summer electricity bills...when you factor in everything, it's not really that more expensive imo to live in Seattle than a large city in Texas....granted San Antone is probably the cheapest.
The house we're renting in Ballard was recently appraised at 730k. I believe it's around 1900 sq ft. It's a nice place that's been completely remodel by the owner who's a contractor. A 4000 sq ft home in decent part of San Antonio would be 400k at most. 400k in any Texas city will buy you a monster home in a decent neighborhood. And as far as power goes, the power bill for our rental in Corpus Christi is about half of what our power bill up here is, and the house is almost the same size. South Texas has WAY cheaper power because of the competition within the energy market, unlike this place were there's a monopoly. Add to this that it costs less to keep a home cool for 5 months out of the year than to keep it warm 9 months out of the year. I'm sure Dallas is a whole nother story, but we barely use the heat during a South Texas winter.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:41 AM

180 posts, read 321,800 times
Yes, but the real estate taxes in Texas are insane. We lived in a newer neighborhood in Houston and bought a 4,000 sq ft. house for $385K. Our tax bill was around $12K every year. Total monthly payment with escrow was $3,400.

Now we bought a $840K house in Seattle and our monthly payment including escrow is around $3,700.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:46 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,898 times
I checked a couple states where housing is far cheaper and in both of them, the property taxes were triple what they are here. One still might come out ahead, but it should be factored in.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:59 PM

231 posts, read 587,439 times
Lots of people moving to Seattle but there are lots of people moving everywhere! Texas is by far the #1 area people are moving to.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:37 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANative View Post
Lots of people moving to Seattle but there are lots of people moving everywhere! Texas is by far the #1 area people are moving to.
The second largest contributor to Washington is Texas, but based on some of the responses here, they might want to think twice. It may not always be a good match.

Newcomers arriving in record numbers, but from where? | The Seattle Times
Attached Thumbnails
Man, EVERYONE wants to live here-fyidriving-licenses-hz-1020x479.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area