Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:26 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post

It is mandatory for anyone on the east coast who hits the age of 65 to move to Florida, always has been. There are stiff penalties if you don't comply.
Have you heard of the "Half-Backers"? Those are the people who move to Florida from the northeast and can't take the heat, and then move half way back . . . to North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post

I checked a couple states where housing is far cheaper and in both of them, the property taxes were triple what they are here. One still might come out ahead, but it should be factored in.
Go to North Carolina. The houses and property taxes are both lower, though there is state income tax. Asheville is the exception. It has gotten expensive, but probably not as expensive as Seattle.

Tennessee has both low property tax and no state income tax, but houses around Nashville have gone up because the city is booming. Probably still cheaper than Seattle.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:05 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,182 times
Good to know. I've lived in TN and parts of it are nice.

But for me personally- guess I'm ok staying put. Don't owe too terribly much on the house and have gotten most of the repairs and renovations done. Figure it won't be too costly to retire someday.

But that's not the same for everyone. I'd like to see everyone situated and doing well in life.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:53 AM

812 posts, read 831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
It's like Austin on steroids.
Perfect description.... Brilliant!

Old 05-21-2016, 06:08 AM

812 posts, read 831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Have you heard of the "Half-Backers"? Those are the people who move to Florida from the northeast and can't take the heat, and then move half way back . . . to North Carolina.
They exist! I live in Raleigh. There used to be more half-backers but word spread and now they just move straight here from the Northeast.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:15 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
As a former Floridian, I can tell you that you are mistaken about the Gulf. The Gulf is only that way in Texas. A lot of West Coasters go to Texas and visit the beach and make the assumption that it's ugly "because it's the Gulf."

On the Florida Panhandle, the Gulf beaches have sugar-white sand made of pure quartz that washed down the rivers from the Appalachian mountains . . . and crystal clear blue-green water.

Actually all the Gulf beaches in Alabama and those that run down the length of Florida are beautiful, with the Panhandle beaches being the best of the best. The beaches there have been on "Most Beautiful Beach" lists repeatedly and it's known as "The Emerald Coast" for the color of the water.

Go to Destin, FL next time.
The water is not only brown in Texas. Biloxi has the brownest, murkiest water, at least as bad as Texas. Yes, Florida has some beautiful turquoise water but most of the Gulf Coast is not pretty at all, so it has two strikes, the second being the South. North Carolina looks okay but it's definitely the South. And what's with all the North Carolinians posting here?

Old 05-21-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post

The water is not only brown in Texas.

Biloxi has the brownest, murkiest water, at least as bad as Texas. Yes, Florida has some beautiful turquoise water but most of the Gulf Coast is not pretty at all, so it has two strikes, the second being the South. North Carolina looks okay but it's definitely the South. And what's with all the North Carolinians posting here?
MOST of the Gulf of Mexico?

Here is a map. Gulf of Mexico Map - Mexico Maps, Gulf of Mexico Facts Location - World Atlas

The one-third in Texas to Mississippi is ugly.

The other two-thirds are Alabama to Florida and Mexico beaches, which are gorgeous. Not to mention part of Cuba.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:40 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
MOST of the Gulf of Mexico?

Here is a map. Gulf of Mexico Map - Mexico Maps, Gulf of Mexico Facts Location - World Atlas

The one-third in Texas to Mississippi is ugly.

The other two-thirds are Alabama to Florida and Mexico beaches, which are gorgeous. Not to mention part of Cuba.
My apologies, I didn't know we were including Mexico and Cuba, I was speaking to the United States specifically. When referencing the United States specifically, Texas through Mississippi represents a great deal of the Gulf Coast with Florida already mentioned. You previously said the water was only brown in Texas. That is not true. It is also brown and murky in Louisiana and Mississippi.

Plus it's the South and North Carolina, in addition to being in the South, has a 5.75% state income tax.

http://www.wapt.com/weather/Biloxi-B...rning/22293766
Attached Thumbnails
Man, EVERYONE wants to live here-img-biloxi-beach-remains-calm-saturday  

Last edited by Seacove; 05-21-2016 at 10:54 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post

Plus it's the South and North Carolina, in addition to being in the South, has a 5.75% state income tax.
Higher tax rate. Lower overall cost of living.

You'd still come out ahead financially. No shade on Seattle, which is a great place. But it's expensive as hell.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:32 PM

681 posts, read 1,044,904 times
Seattle is calling me, can't help it! lol, but yup I'm working on getting up there myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area