Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 10:00 PM

49 posts, read 91,609 times

Advertisements

Dear Friends,

I am exploring a possible job offer in Tacoma. We are from Kirkland and have a 8th grader, who will be going to high school in 2016-17 session. He is studying in a very highly ranked school in East Seattle which is culturally very diverse and academically outperforming!

East Seattle/Kirkland is highly occupied by well educated techies from all racial and cultural background. We are genetically "South Asian/Indian", and fit really well in this culturally diverse environment.

Given the peak hour traffic it does not appear practical to live in Kirkland and commute to Tacoma every day. To keep life and work balance it appears that we should move near to Tacoma.

Based on Internet research and various rankings, I am a bit confused about the high schools and livable places near Tacoma. I won't mind 30-40 minute commute during peak hours.

We will highly appreciate, if you can guide us the best area to live with highly ranked high schools.
I am looking for an ideal place with following characteristics:

Safe for families
Culturally diverse (Specifically including Asian Indians)
Close to Indian Grocery stores
Stable reality market

I was considering University Place, Renton, Kent, NewCastle but not sure if they meet all such requirements.
I heard about Summit Charter school in Tcaoma, not sure how is it's reputation. Some other schools I was considering were Liberty High, Technology Access Foundation, Science and Math Institute, and Aviation High. But it appears that all high ranked or charter schools have lottery system and dates are already passed.

Pls guide; your help will be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

RG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 12:22 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
While I'm seeing Asian and East Asian grocery stores in the Tacoma area, I'm not seeing any Indian (or South Asian) ones. You might have to make do with weekly grocery runs to Bellevue.

What about living between Tacoma and Bellevue - that would shorten the commute and help maintain the cultural/social links. Some top high schools (according to Niche): Kentridge, Kentwood, Tahoma, Auburn Mountainview.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:35 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,479,779 times
There's a small Indian community living near Green River Community College. I didn't see an Indian store out there, though.

From what I've seen, the Indian community is largely centered around Bellevue and Redmond (i.e., Microsoft), though there is a southern outpost in the Kent area and the much smaller enclave in Auburn.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:40 AM

CrazyDonkey and amaiunmei:

Thank you for your inputs.
There is an Indian store in Lakewood named India Baazar, if I am not wrong.
I assume, it might have a strong clientele base to open a store?

Old 05-19-2016, 10:40 AM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
From Yelp on India Baazar: "This is a kind of smallish (two aisles) Indian market, that sells the bare essentials for Indian cooking but not much more." I initially read that it was a "clothing" store. So, not really an alternative to what you'll find in Bellevue/Redmond.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:47 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,479,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
From Yelp on India Baazar: "This is a kind of smallish (two aisles) Indian market, that sells the bare essentials for Indian cooking but not much more." I initially read that it was a "clothing" store. So, not really an alternative to what you'll find in Bellevue/Redmond.
I'm assuming there are some Indians in the area, but I've never seen them personally. The community is a lot smaller and less cohesive than the community near Bellevue and Redmond.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:09 PM

Thank you guys, very helpful.
In that case I may consider staying somewhere in New Castle or Factoria area. Any suggestions?
How worse the commute will be? How are the high schools there? Specifically Hazen high?
How do you compare New Castle with North Renton?

Old 05-20-2016, 12:14 PM

6 posts, read 12,390 times
@Radgeek,

I highly recommend Liberty High School. I graduated from Liberty a few years ago and was completely prepared for my college education at UW. All of my peers from high school that joined me at UW also excelled in college and outperformed most students on tests and overall GPA. Some of my high school courses, including English, were tougher than UW's English course. The teachers and administration are excellent and care.

The school is also diverse with students from various backgrounds and income levels. Liberty was recently ranked 11th best school in the state, top in Issaquah SD by the US News and World Report.
Find Washington High Schools | US News Best High Schools

Liberty was completely rebuilt within the last few years and the facilities are simply incredible.

Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any additional questions regarding my experience and LHS.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:07 PM

Newcastlegolf, thank you so much for your inputs.
Yes- after a thorough research we have short listed Liberty, Hazen (both NewCastle but Issaquah and Renton school districts) and Curtis high (University place). Your recommendations further reinforces it!

How do you compare LHS and Hazen?
Is there any drug issue at LHS?
Is LHS racially diverse?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:56 PM

6 posts, read 12,390 times
Radgeek,

I cant speak much for Hazen, as I don't know much about that school. I know Hazen's facilities are older with some updates that were completed back in the mid 2000's. I've read quite a bit in local newspapers of the overcrowding that is happening in Renton SD (which is why a new middle school is being built). And historically, Liberty has outperformed Hazen in testing (SAT, AP Tests and State standardized testing). With that said, I think Hazen would be a fine choice and is a great school, it just has its setbacks being part of Renton SD and the community support as a whole.

I also enjoyed how liberty is set up on an A/B schedule, 4 classes per day, 8 classes total. It allowed me to take more classes than a student would at other schools. It also prepared me for college in that the classes were longer, and you had to be accountable for keeping track of homework and what is due in your class two days later. I LOVED it.

Regarding drug issues, there are drug issues at every school. You go to a private school in the area, and you will find more drugs than in regular public schools. Its just how it is. I don't think Hazen and LHS would vary significantly regarding the drug issue.

Hazen is probably a bit more diverse than Liberty, both economically and racially.

Again, many of my peers from high school went on to a 4 year universities with a few going off to Ivy league schools. Speaking for myself, I was completely ready for college -- Liberty offered the courses and support needed to prepare me for life after high school. Of course there are those students that don't use those offerings to their benefit, but the resources are there.

You can compare the two with test scores, college readiness score, AP and SAT scores:
Liberty
Liberty Sr. High School in Renton, WA | US News Best High Schools

Here is the LHS profile: http://connect.issaquah.wednet.edu/h.../download.aspx

LHS Performance report: https://issuu.com/isdrefocus/docs/lhs14-15

Hazen
Hazen Senior High School in Renton, WA | US News Best High Schools

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Newcastlegolf; 05-20-2016 at 04:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area