Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 04:03 AM

261 posts, read 221,436 times

Advertisements

So for someone who doesn't drive and unsure exactly where to move to in Seattle or its vicinities, it is difficult to try and figure it out in your head the basic day to day stuff but I know I need to move there for my career/business.

I don't cook as much but wanting to. The UK has a lot of spoiling especially for vegetarians like me. We have lots of frozen foods/meals or packaged meals. I can cook some stuff but not knowing what to cook makes it difficult (and have very little time which is a lame excuse given that we have to eat!!). We get groceries delivered too.

Question I have is where is the best place to get groceries from for someone in my situation?

What about good food recipes for vegetarians like me (who, by the way, hates mushrooms) and the best place to get those ingredients?

What about reasonable fast food places or small little hidden away places for food?

Am I doomed to failure given that I don't drive nor know where to get groceries from or live close to such convenience places?

Basically whenever I decide to move over, I just wouldn't know anywhere to go nor have any food! So I need to prep for these day to day things in advanced and know which direction I am heading in.

Seems that I just don't know how to "take care" of myself - but I do. Things are different in different countries and if you live in one for all of your life, the transition becomes difficult especially if you are doing it all on your own.

Sorry - mind all over the place. Panicking if I make this plunge and need to decide very soon if i want to do this, and I surely do but need to be practical!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 06:53 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,882,419 times
Don't worry ... just make sure you live within walking distance of a major grocery store (Safeway, QFC, Fred Meyer, Whole Foods, PCC). Stores here stock large amounts of nice organic produce for you to choose from. There are also delivery services (Amazon for one). You will have no problem at all.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:10 AM

tobester - thanks kindly. it is comforting to know that it should be feasible rather than someone just saying it for the sake of it.
And i guess that's another issue - location of where to live since I want to make sure its a safe and secure area, not too expensive and near major grocery stores. I guess it doesn't help but I am looking for a house to rent rather than an apartment and those generally are probably not walkable to grocery stores?

Old 06-24-2016, 07:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have several employees that are not into cooking from scratch, but are subscribers to a service that delivers everything ready to cook, so all fresh and home made but quick and easy, and they have a vegetarian option. There are many farmer's markets in the area, both in Seattle and on the eastside where you can get fresh produce at least from May-September, and the Pike Place Market has fresh produce all year. You can drive 2+ hours east to the Yakima area and buy in quantity at various roadside fruit and vegetable stands.

Cooking made easy

Old 06-24-2016, 07:29 AM

Thanks Hemlock - that's interesting.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:41 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul2015 View Post
So for someone who doesn't drive and unsure exactly where to move to in Seattle or its vicinities, it is difficult to try and figure it out in your head the basic day to day stuff but I know I need to move there for my career/business.

I don't cook as much but wanting to. The UK has a lot of spoiling especially for vegetarians like me. We have lots of frozen foods/meals or packaged meals. I can cook some stuff but not knowing what to cook makes it difficult (and have very little time which is a lame excuse given that we have to eat!!). We get groceries delivered too.

Question I have is where is the best place to get groceries from for someone in my situation?

What about good food recipes for vegetarians like me (who, by the way, hates mushrooms) and the best place to get those ingredients?

What about reasonable fast food places or small little hidden away places for food?

Am I doomed to failure given that I don't drive nor know where to get groceries from or live close to such convenience places?

Basically whenever I decide to move over, I just wouldn't know anywhere to go nor have any food! So I need to prep for these day to day things in advanced and know which direction I am heading in.

Seems that I just don't know how to "take care" of myself - but I do. Things are different in different countries and if you live in one for all of your life, the transition becomes difficult especially if you are doing it all on your own.

Sorry - mind all over the place. Panicking if I make this plunge and need to decide very soon if i want to do this, and I surely do but need to be practical!
Hi. I'm a vegetarian who has lived here many years and who gets around a lot on foot, bike, and transit. The short answer is "don't worry; you'll be fine".

The longer answer is that your relative convenience/inconvenience it's going to depend on what neighborhood you end up in. It's hard to offer specific help without even a general idea of where you'll be. Also, you can spend a small fortune on the sorts of convenience foods you describe. If you have the money to spend, good for you- there are all kinds of pre-prepared (and "semi-prepared") food options.

And yes, there are many vegetarian restaurants, and most non-vegetarian restaurants still have good vegetarian options.

All this said, there are areas of Seattle that are very car-centric and that would not work out well at all for someone living the lifestyle you describe.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:43 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,972,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul2015 View Post
And i guess that's another issue - location of where to live since I want to make sure its a safe and secure area, not too expensive and near major grocery stores. I guess it doesn't help but I am looking for a house to rent rather than an apartment and those generally are probably not walkable to grocery stores?
Oh, you can definitely find houses to rent in such areas. It's just that they're generally expensive.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:56 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Didn't you already do this thread a couple of times?

//www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...ian-foods.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...groceries.html

Old 06-24-2016, 02:57 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,182 times
I'm a sucker for discount places. I dislike Costco- crowds just awful. I do the majority of my grocery shopping at Grocery Outlet. I go there first then somewhere else for everything else. Trader Joe's is lovely and slightly discounted. Very cool stuff there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grocery_Outlet

https://groceryoutlet.com

http://www.traderjoes.com

Old 06-24-2016, 03:25 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
It will be an awesome day when Trader Joe's cheaper cousin Aldi's comes to the PNW, they have gone big into Organics and are opening 45 Calif stores just this year alone. I've tried Grocery Outlet but haven't had much luck yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmswazey View Post
I'm a sucker for discount places. I dislike Costco- crowds just awful. I do the majority of my grocery shopping at Grocery Outlet. I go there first then somewhere else for everything else. Trader Joe's is lovely and slightly discounted. Very cool stuff there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grocery_Outlet

https://groceryoutlet.com

Homepage: Welcome | Trader Joe's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area