Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 12:54 PM

8,862 posts, read 6,865,667 times

Advertisements

Regarding First Hill, a Whole Foods and apartment tower are breaking ground at Broadway and Madison right now. There's already a QFC at Broadway and Pike.

In the CBD, the Pike Place Market, Target, and IGA are all in a short stretch of Pike.

Lower Queen Anne is great for restaurants and supermarkets, and I like the area. A little far from the core though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 01:00 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Many people who live downtown go to the excellent Whole Foods in SLU (South Lake Union) not far at all from Belltown. Here's the link: South Lake Union | Whole Foods Market
Why? Seems like Interbay Whole Foods is much closer, and SLU traffic is a nightmare, even the buses are crowded like sardines.

I work near (and walk through) Belltown, and the crime is mostly drugs and car prowls, but there is a lot of homeless people and mentally ill people around the 2nd-5th and Stewart-Union area. Belltown from Virginia north to Broad is much nicer. I would suggest Magnolia, Queen Anne or Madison Park, however.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:51 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Interbay does have better parking, though SLU is walkable or a very short Uber from many parts of Belltown. I second the Pike Place Market idea, many of the best chefs in Seattle shop there. Grocery delivery is very common in Seattle, we use Instacart and love it! Here is the link: https://www.instacart.com

Old 06-26-2016, 01:59 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Three grocery stores (Safeway, Metropolitan Market, and QFC) within walking distance in Lower Queen Anne, plus Whole Foods (Interbay and SLU) and Trader Joe's (Upper Queen Anne) are within easy reach. Fred Meyers (Ballard and Capitol Hill) is not far away.

Lower Queen Anne would be great for a small dog. Lots of open spaces for walks (including the Center). Kinnear Park has a "bark park" (off-leash area):

http://www.seattle.gov/parks/offleash_detail.asp?id=314

(Note: I lived in Lower Queen Anne for 8 years, two blocks from the Center, and in West Queen Anne for 13 years, so am super familiar with the area. The Center was a great "escape" from the "city" - something you won't have in Belltown. Had no qualms about walking around at night. At one point I counted eight espresso bars within two blocks of where I lived.)

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 06-26-2016 at 02:08 PM..

Old 06-26-2016, 02:51 PM

The Seattle Center is directly across the street from Belltown. Is a matter of what part of Belltown you're talking about.

But I do like LQA. Lived there twice. Nice area and getting nicer as the vacant lots fill in.

Old 06-26-2016, 03:11 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Interbay does have better parking, though SLU is walkable or a very short Uber from many parts of Belltown. I second the Pike Place Market idea, many of the best chefs in Seattle shop there. Grocery delivery is very common in Seattle, we use Instacart and love it! Here is the link: https://www.instacart.com
I'd hate to depend on Whole Foods and Ralph's for groceries (both of which are "pricey", to put it politely). The Market is great for fresh produce and seafood, but it isn't a "general grocery" - a bunch of buses will take you to the Market from LQA (10-15 minutes?).

Old 06-26-2016, 03:20 PM

27 posts, read 36,646 times
This is exactly the kind of discussion I'd hoped for when I posted. Great stuff!

Old 06-26-2016, 09:22 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Trader Joe's on Queen Anne would be close too, not quite walking distance but an easy drive: Trader Joe. Another option (fun) would be to take a quick bus down to Uwajimaya in the International District, great selection and vibrant part of town. Wouldn't do it at night though: Uwajimaya - 702 Photos & 835 Reviews - Grocery - International District - Seattle, WA - Phone Number - Yelp

Old 06-26-2016, 10:39 PM

Grocery costs are nothing compared to the benefits of not having a car. If that's your plan.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:43 AM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,390 times
Another great DT area is the part just north of the Convention Center, near the Paramount. We used to live at Olive & 8th and it's hands down one the best spots we've lived so far (I adore moving and have lived in many different neighborhoods).

While there are tons of bars and restaurants around there, it doesn't have all the bar/lounge/nightlife that Belltown (or the Pike/Pine part of Capitol Hill) has. It's pretty hopping til around 11 or so, and then it gets pretty quiet. Plus you're just across the street from a Broadway show, a few blocks away from the 5th Ave theatre, close to two large movie theatres, a couple blocks from all the shopping at Pacific Place and Westlake, an easy walk to Whole Foods (or Amazon Fresh delivers), a 15 minute walk to the Market, AND you are also a short walk up Capitol Hill to all the great restaurants, amenities and shopping there. Transit is super convenient, and there's easy freeway access to the whole area. You're also blocks from the light rail, and a 5 minute monorail ride to all the fun stuff at Seattle Center (opera, symphony, science center, IMAX).

The only thing I didn't really care for about living DT is that it lacks the feeling of being a neighborhood. DT is mainly a business district with places to live. Our building certainly had a nice community feel, but that ended when you walked outside. It's certainly vibrant and has lots of energy, but in the end we decided that while it was fun, we'd rather live nearby, and have access to all that DT has to offer, but wanted more of a neighborhood where lots of people live, but still have access to lots of businesses and amenities.

Thus we moved to Capitol Hill. It has all the density, but is definitely more of a neighborhood. We're a ~20 minute walk to DT, have grocery stores, gyms, coffee shops, restaurants, boutiques, transit, etc, all within blocks, but our actual building is on a lovely tree-lined street that a nice place to walk. We live near Belmont & Mercer and this is a great spot that is just south of the older, historic houses of North Capitol Hill (and a short distant from Volunteer Park which is a wonderful spot to walk a dog), far enough north that we don't get the noise and nightlife spillover of Pike/Pine to the south, and yet have easy access to everything the Hill has to offer if we want to. Transit is almost as convenient as DT, and we're also close to the new light rail station.

Best wishes on finding a great spot to enjoy Seattle! Fortunately there are a number of neat neighborhoods here - many of which offer what you seem to be looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: