Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 972 times

Advertisements

In the past I've lived in Louisiana, Texarkana, Denver, Albuquerque, San Diego, and a small town in Tennessee. I currently live in Brevard County Florida, I want away from here, I find that the people here are generally very low class, white trash types. Even beachside I run into that a lot. My parents are offering me a few grand to help me relocate and I'm considering Seattle and Portland. I'm very much sensitive to light and heat and find myself staying indoors avoiding outdoor activities and having to wear sunglasses all the time in the day if I leave the house to avoid severe headaches and feel that the weather in Seattle may actually be better for me.
How is the crime compared to Brevard? I'm sure it's worse, but I'm a petite single white female in the younger 20s and want to know if I can reasonably live there and expect to... well... live...?
I need a very active town, and to consistently have something to do. I don't like to spend my days inside on the computer every day, and I can only go to hookah or the beach so many times in a month before it gets old.
I had a very bad roommate experience in the past and won't live with a roommate again, I am currently a lower level manager for a high volume retail store. I currently make $10 an hour, I see the lowest wage jobs in Seattle posting at $10 for serving and around $15 on average for jobs similar to mine, is the min wage significantly higher? Is there truth to the wages I've been seeing or is it a matter of you'll usually make $15/hour but rarely work more than 30 hours a week? Where I live my longest span of unemployment over the last 3 years which I've been working(about 5 different jobs in total) is about 1 week, I can't go without a job because I need constant activity and to be able to afford to do things like eat, and pay rent(I drove my ex crazy the 1 week I was unemployed because all I did was fill out applications and clean) Is it easy to find a job, most preferably in retail or as a server?
Has anybody moved from Florida to Seattle, how have you liked it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 11:01 AM

759 posts, read 636,703 times
I moved here from south Georgia and work in Seattle. I had a $20+ job lined up though.

You'll love the weather... no more hot, humid bug filled summers like you get there. The climate here is quite nice... very mild. I laugh when people here say it's hot.... you will too.

Job market is pretty good here... in addition to my day job I also work part time for Amazon.

Rent is out of control... you might run into issues without roommates. I rented a 3 BR ($1800+ utilities) in the suburbs and added 2 roommates because it's cheaper than a 1 BR for all parties.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
Rent in Seattle and neighboring cities is higher than any of the places you have lived before, even San Diego. Like any city, the lower the rent, the more crime. We don't have any really dangerous areas in Seattle, but there is a lot of property crime, especially in the lower rent areas. Even in those places figure on $800 for a studio, 1,000+ for 1 bedroom. There always seem to be openings in retail. Only the city of Seatac has a $15 minimum wage, Seattle is at $13, the $15 is being phased in over several years, and the state minimum is $9.47, but we have no state income tax, so that helps. It sounds like our climate would suit you. Today for example, it's expected to get close to 80 late in the day, but is currently 61 and totally overcast.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:09 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
You're sensitive to light? Does that include being sensitive to the absence of light? Be aware that in winter, the daylight hours are short. You go to work in the dark, and come home in the dark. Dusk happens at around 4 p.m. Some people can't handle that.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:33 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,144,564 times
Seattle is the opposite of "trash, low-class types" but that is a function of education level AND tons of opportunity for motivated and highly-skilled people. Professionals don't have time for ghetto behavior, in my experience, nor will they tolerate it in the neighborhood. That's a bear trap for people wanting to migrate here and *won't* be in those kind of jobs, though.

I've read a few articles discussing "income inequality" in the Seattle area and I'd have to agree: definitely bi-modal here:

1) High tech (primarily) workers with high income, causing housing demand, additional traffic etc. and squeezing out "the Rest"

2) the Rest: service and other industries that frankly don't pay as well...increasingly difficult to make ends meet.

I don't have solutions, I'm in category 1) and don't have visibility into what "the Rest" have to struggle with day-to-day. It is a growing social problem, however: no doubt of that.

To the point:

A) Weather thread (sticky) has 5K replies. First hundred should sum up more thoroughly than anyone can possibly need.

B) Crime? What do the stats say, X vs. Y?

C) "They" say there is downward pressure on jobs due to the $15/hour rule. That's a macroeconomics question, I'm waiting to see how it shakes out in the mid-term. I notice everything is more expensive in Seattle lately, at least anecdotally (to me, that is: I don't have data to support the observation). My suspicion is that "unintended consequences" strikes again.

Bottom line is life in service and etc. can be a struggle in Seattle. That's just how it is, and it isn't getting any better at-current. Is it true that hours are limited in those roles to try and get around need to supply health care and other benefits? Responder ChloeC provided an interesting and resourceful solution to the housing question.

Highly prosperous areas have equally high bar to entry, in terms of cost of living and competitiveness.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:40 PM

236 posts, read 289,362 times
Seattle is great for people sensitive to light. I get headaches from too much sunshine and think The weather here works for me.

I've also heard Bellingham,WA gets even less sun and the cost of living is less so you might want to check that out too. It's a college town 1.5 hours North of here. I don't know if there is enough for you to do there.

Be aware it is often sunny here in the Summer. But we do have some overcast days with no rain. Yesterday was very sunny, no clouds, blue skies and Today the weather is 72 and overcast grays skies - no rain.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:12 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
On wages, unintended consequences maybe be right. The minimum wage will help some people who make more. It'll hurt others whose jobs move away, or their four-person shift becomes three people, or they live on social security which doesn't go as far anymore. The current rent increases are at least partially due to people making more money. Since the wages are lower across the city limits, there will be some sorting where the high performers tend to work within city limits and vice versa, regardless of where each set lives (which will tend to coincide actually).

Old 06-30-2016, 07:45 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,327 times
If you want to come to Seattle and live off $15/hour as a server or retail you're gonna have a really bad time.

If you aren't looking at high 5 or low 6 figures don't bother with it. You can maybe afford a cheaper place but will you'll be stuck around more of those "low-class, white trash" types in the south end.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:59 PM

184 posts, read 335,862 times
Just a note on the light sensitivity. I moved here from Texas, and I find that the sunny days here are uncomfortably bright compared to summer days in Texas.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:11 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,199,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Mongo View Post
Just a note on the light sensitivity. I moved here from Texas, and I find that the sunny days here are uncomfortably bright compared to summer days in Texas.
Yes, that's a good point. The sun tends to not drop so fast in Seattle in summer, instead there is about 2hrs of twilight, which is awesome for those without light sensitivity. We've been outside in June and July until 10pm and still seen a little sliver of light, but regardless it tends to hang on the horizon for quite a while in the evening in summer.

Only downside IMO is driving directly into it at like 8pm when it's basically a laser beam into your windshield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area