Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 08:31 PM

23 posts, read 17,174 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

This forum is such a great resource and I was hoping to gain some guidance from you all.

I've lived in Washington DC for the past 5 years. Prior to that I lived in the Tampa Bay Area which is where I'm from. Long story short, I got divorced this year after a terrible 9 year marriage, the new relationship I had with my boyfriend ended, and I just lost my job. So if there was ever a chance to move this feels like it.

I'm 28 and have 5 years of accounting experience. I also have my CPA, CFE and MBA (these were my attempts to stabilize my life when it was falling apart). I'm very interested to get into the tech industry in an internal accounting role. I think that industry has a lot of young people and energy and that's appealing to me. I'm the opposite of type A. I prefer laid back casual work environments where I can work hard and think in comfort.

I'm looking for a city where there is a sense of community. I want to make friends, meet a life partner, find a job I enjoy and a place that feels like home. I'm very laid back and open minded. I enjoy nature and beautiful scenery. I'm worried about the Seattle weather cause I like the sunshine. But I've heard so many other great things about the city I wonder if it balances out. This Seattle freeze thing worries me as well because at this next stage of my life I really want to focus on friendships, relationships, and making happier memories. I enjoy going on walks, reading, cooking, restaurants, and would like to start volunteering wherever I end up.

If you have moved to Seattle from DC, what has been your take on it? I don't know anyone in Seattle, but I have very few friends in DC so it wouldn't be much of a difference. If you don't think Seattle is a good fit, do you have another suggestion? How is the dating scene? I'm attractive but I'm also introverted and not into bars. I read that guys in Seattle are socially awkward, which is totally fine with me. I'd rather someone be awkward and genuine with a good heart than an experienced player that says all the right things.

Any advice offered would be helpful.... on Seattle, DC or an alternative. Thanks. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 08:35 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyCatsMom View Post
Hi everyone,

This forum is such a great resource and I was hoping to gain some guidance from you all.

I've lived in Washington DC for the past 5 years. Prior to that I lived in the Tampa Bay Area which is where I'm from. Long story short, I got divorced this year after a terrible 9 year marriage, the new relationship I had with my boyfriend ended, and I just lost my job. So if there was ever a chance to move this feels like it.

I'm 28 and have 5 years of accounting experience. I also have my CPA, CFE and MBA (these were my attempts to stabilize my life when it was falling apart). I'm very interested to get into the tech industry in an internal accounting role. I think that industry has a lot of young people and energy and that's appealing to me. I'm the opposite of type A. I prefer laid back casual work environments where I can work hard and think in comfort.

I'm looking for a city where there is a sense of community. I want to make friends, meet a life partner, find a job I enjoy and a place that feels like home. I'm very laid back and open minded. I enjoy nature and beautiful scenery. I'm worried about the Seattle weather cause I like the sunshine. But I've heard so many other great things about the city I wonder if it balances out. This Seattle freeze thing worries me as well because at this next stage of my life I really want to focus on friendships, relationships, and making happier memories. I enjoy going on walks, reading, cooking, restaurants, and would like to start volunteering wherever I end up.

If you have moved to Seattle from DC, what has been your take on it? I don't know anyone in Seattle, but I have very few friends in DC so it wouldn't be much of a difference. If you don't think Seattle is a good fit, do you have another suggestion? How is the dating scene? I'm attractive but I'm also introverted and not into bars. I read that guys in Seattle are socially awkward, which is totally fine with me. I'd rather someone be awkward and genuine with a good heart than an experienced player that says all the right things.

Any advice offered would be helpful.... on Seattle, DC or an alternative. Thanks. :-)

What about working in tech or the DC area seems like it would be laid back? Have you ever worked in an open office environment? It's not really conducive to comfort or thinking, it's intense even if people wear shorts and bring their dogs to work.

Old 06-29-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
What about working in tech or the DC area seems like it would be laid back? Have you ever worked in an open office environment? It's not really conducive to comfort or thinking, it's intense even if people wear shorts and bring their dogs to work.
DC is not laid back, at least not from my view point. Hence why I'm thinking a change of pace might be nice.

I've worked in a somewhat open office environement in my second job. It was very high energy but friendly, fun and nobody took themselves too seriously. I managed the accounting department in that one. My last job (the one I lost) was at a very stuffy, good ole boys club type public accounting firm. It was not a good fit. Forget bring your dog to work, you could not even have headphones on in the office when you were alone and it was very business formal.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:08 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
Seattle isn't as laid back as it used to be. It's definitely better than DC in many respects, fewer places expect you to dress up as much and it's not quite as political. Things have changed here with the huge hiring sprees and people moving from all over the country. In that regard the white collar office worker population is very similar to DC now, just not as many people from NY/NJ. Some of the groups we hang out with we're the only couple from the area and everyone else moved here in the past 5 years.

One other thing - DC being a town that loses/gains a substantial number of people with every administration change people there are a lot more tolerant of political differences. Here politics is almost a replacement for religion. If you express a divergent viewpoint on something like biking to work a few people will treat it as though you just told them Jesus isn't the son of god.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:05 PM

8,859 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Most people in Seattle don't bike to work, and don't expect you to. (But quite a few do...if you start telling THEM they're not ok, that's where the problems start.)

Old 06-29-2016, 11:49 PM

236 posts, read 289,468 times
I hear all the time that there's a shortage of single women here so it seems like an attractive woman working at a high tech company would do well in terms of dating.

Large successful high tech companies do not have a laid back environment. Employees may wear shorts but it's stressful. Maybe a start up company would be more relaxed or maybe a different type of company. Maybe some place like REI would be like that?

Old 06-30-2016, 07:34 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,864 times
Quote:
I'm worried about the Seattle weather cause I like the sunshine.
This could be the killer to your move ... you must decide how much you like sunshine. Right now it's June 30th and the skies are gray - the high temps for the next week are in the low 70's ... the skies are predominately gray 9 months out of the year.

Many of us can deal with the gray cause with it you get very mild weather - no extremes - which allows year round outdoor activities.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:01 AM

I'm concerned about finding a job. I've been applying from DC but not sure if it will work since I'm not local. I considered moving without a job because I don't have a job here either anymore.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:58 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,284 times
Quote:
I'm concerned about finding a job. I've been applying from DC but not sure if it will work since I'm not local.
If being "local" was necessary for finding a job in Seattle, we wouldn't be growing as fast as we are.

An observation for what it's worth: if the tech industry is known for anything, it's for having a mobile workforce. With as portable a skill set as it sounds like you have, you might consider finding a job in the area, and even if it's not a dream job with a dream company, use it as a base for developing a network and getting the lay of the land. Then when you've got your feet under you, switch to a job that better suits your wishes. Nobody is awarding 30-year pins anymore.

You might, for example, look in the nonprofit sector. As well as being a high-tech hub, Seattle is also a major player in nonprofits and biotech. For example, look at the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (biggest in the world) which has offices in DC that you might even visit. Just saying to think outside the box. For that matter, look for offices of big Seattle companies in DC - many of them have offices there - maybe you can get a foot in the door, as it were.

As for the weather, all I'd say is that many of us would happily live with a few weeks of gray weather in the winter if the alternative was the humidity of DC in the summer. Our summers are just as sunny as DC's, our winters warmer, we get less rainfall, and it's almost never humid and hot at the same time. https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...-city-july.php

Old 06-30-2016, 12:23 PM

731 posts, read 935,707 times
Please, oh please consider the weather! Lot's of people who live here love it and don't have a problem with it and they will express it on this board like it's no big deal (to them it really isn't). It's not necessarily something that you get used to. It may not bother you initially because everything is new and exciting, but IF you are affected by it (and lots and lots of people here on antidepressants will tell you it can), it wears on you badly. I've lived here my entire life and I find it harder to deal with with each passing year. If you move here and find a mate, this just may be your home for life.

You mentioned your love of sun. This is not the place to move to looking for sun. This is where vampire novels are set. How many cities have a sticky thread dedicated to the topic of weather? Just a thought....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area