Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2016, 12:08 PM

13 posts, read 34,032 times

Advertisements

Hello -
We are moving to Kirkland in July, and I am wondering what the best rain jackets/boots might be for both adults and kids?

I have been told Lands End Squall 3-in-1 jacket is good, plus Bogs rain boots.

Any other advice for things to get before we head out to the Seattle area?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 01:04 PM

2,116 posts, read 1,713,913 times
I haven't lived here long but I've heard good things about the marmot precip jacket though don't yet own one myself just yet. They are less than $100 though. Also northface and Columbia have good options. From what I gather it is all about dressing in layers out here. I've learned as such in my short stay here so far. Back in northeast where I'm from if it is hot during the day it is usually the same at night which is not the case here where it cools down significantly at night due to the coastal influence. I'm sure long time residents will be able to answer this better however.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,105 posts, read 80,205,776 times
We have been here 22 years now, and I use 3 regular jackets. The first two are Columbia, the 3rd Cabella's. Days like today when it's 61F but light rain, I use the hooded windbreaker. Generally it's good for May-early July. When the rain stops it will be no need for any jacket day or night until about mid September when the windbreaker makes it's appearance again. Then when frost comes in late October I go to a lined, but still light Jacket. That will suffice until we get below freezing, and then the heavy, hooded but water repellent coat comes out. With the short summers, shorts come out when the day times reach 55 about May, though we see high school kids wearing them well into fall and even early winter. I haven't used an umbrella in years, and then only when watching kids sports events like soccer games. We have many micro-climates influenced by elevation, mountains and water. Kirkland is among the milder, especially in the lower elevations near the water, but the hills are not much colder in winter. Then it depends on weather the person is more comfortable being cool or warm. I'm fine with t-shirts all year (at home) while my wife will be in layers with long sleeves with the furnace set at 70 in winter.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:48 PM

8,061 posts, read 8,291,279 times
Easy to over-dress or under-dress (sweat in the day, chill at night), which is why layers matter. In summer, light jacket/pullover might be all you need. Get a good rain/sun hat(s). Forget umbrellas. Unless wearing fancy shoes, forget rain boots. In winter, forget heavy coats (add a warm sweater, scarf, and gloves to your layers).

Old 07-05-2016, 03:22 PM

811 posts, read 1,051,992 times
wow, you really fell for that soggy seattle hype.

I have one word.

Layers.

Also depends, if you are running from car to building and back as your only outside exposure, or going on 8 hour hikes in the mountains.

In town, you will rarely need more than a light fleece and maybe a windbreaker, and don't forget the socks to wear under your Keen sandals in the winter. Best way to fit in is a cozy fleece, shorts, socks with Keens. Year round.

Very rare to get downpours and many people wear shorts right through winter. Typical weather this last week or so and looking forward..... Gray skies, threatening rain, but after a week or two, your rain gauge says maybe .008 inch of rain has fallen and you notice the lawn is getting brown because the dampness is not enough to actually keep it green.

Now I should say, I am Old School Seattle area, and probably a dying breed. The entire area is getting much more Hipstered, trendy and urban. Sad trend IMHO, but that is why I am finally moving on after decades.

If you are out for longer periods, wear whatever as a base layer (except never ever wear cotton hiking....THAT can kill), and grab your fleece and gore-tex or similar jacket and you are set for whatever the day will bring you in July or January....which are often remarkably the same in weather.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:21 PM

8,758 posts, read 6,686,458 times
I walk to work every day. Maybe three days per year a raincoat is justified. I don't own a working umbrella, but carry a baseball cap for rain and sun. Otherwise a light jacket for the shoulder seasons, a heavy coat in the winter, and no coat in the summer.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:53 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,615,407 times
Depending on where you're from I would wait to get here before buying stuff. One of my first excursions when I moved here was to the flagship REI and it was more than sufficient to gear up for my new life in the PNW.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:28 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,577 posts, read 57,526,122 times
Your Lands End stuff should be fine.

On your way...

I usually recommend a stop at
1) Cabelas, Sidney, NE outlet / returns section
2) Helley Hansen outlet in Bend, OR (no sales tax), or Centralia, WA.

I saved for 7 yrs for my Helley Hansen, it was stolen in the first week.
Back to sitting in the rain during kids soccer, and baseball.

Layers and zip-in fleece.

Dry socks

Spiked golf shoes if over 1000' elevation (to get out and fetch the mail, and feed livestock / outdoor pets during freezing rain.)

Old 07-08-2016, 05:56 PM

8,155 posts, read 8,206,991 times
Layer and you'll be fine. Brimmed hat (baseball cap, Irish cap) is very helpful. Just remember, only tourists use umbrellas. I get the most use out of my micro down jacket, fall through spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area