Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2016, 10:37 AM

9 posts, read 21,183 times

Advertisements

I've been living in Oregon for the last year and am considering a move to the Seattle region next year after wrapping up the job I moved here for. I've spent a bit of time in the city, but not much in the outlying areas previously and would love some input on areas to focus my search on. The reason for the move is that while I love the climate/outdoor opportunities of the PNW, pay for my profession is 30-50% higher in the greater Seattle area vs anywhere in Oregon. I'm aware that COL is generally higher in WA, but can benefit from the fact that I don't need to live in or commute to the actual city of Seattle. I do contract based work as a vet and most of my work is in the suburbs. There's slightly more demand south of Seattle (Tacoma area), but it's feasible for me to work pretty much anywhere outside of the city. I'd like to ID a few areas that fit my criteria, then choose based on where I find the best work opportunities.

I'm in my late 20s, own a dog, and would like to balance great access to trail running/hiking with cost of living. Issaquah and Bellvue seem to top the lists for trails, but not moderate COL. My housing budget is around $1,200/month - a studio is fine if it's a nice area with close trail access and other amenities, and being able to rent someplace with a yard would be ideal if I go a bit further out from the populated areas. The other factor is that I do own a 5th wheel RV and am currently living out of it in OR. I still need to research the legalities of full time RV living in WA, but that could be an option as well, and I'd consider it if I could find a piece of land (ie not a trailer park) with hookups to rent for <$700/month. If not, I'll sell the trailer before moving. Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 11:59 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,374,563 times
There are few studios, microapartments, or apodments on the Eastside, fewer the further out. There are even fewer that take pets. You didn't specify the size of your dog or what breed it is, which can further restrict where you can rent.

There are apartments within your budget that take pets in Kent, Federal Way, and Tacoma. Here's a one-bedroom well within your budget that takes dogs (large and small) near Point Defiance Park (for trails) in Tacoma:

Northpoint at Creekside Apartments - Tacoma, WA | Zillow

Old 07-25-2016, 12:16 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,741,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
I was looking at this place just last month when apartment shopping. I never actually ended up taking a look in person however mainly because it has a lot of bad reviews online. No idea how accurate the reviews are though. Looked nice in pictures and close to the park as well.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:26 PM

9 posts, read 21,183 times
Thanks for the suggestion! The Tacoma area does look like it may be my best best
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area